🥇 BANNER Bottle with a note inside 5 to 6 inches deep in the ground.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It hadn't occurred to me that the notes might be from a black man. Frankly, I sort of assumed the CCC was largely segregated.

A little research turned up this on Wikipedia:

"DePriest's 1933 amendment barring discrimination in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a program of the New Deal to employ people across the country in building infrastructure, was passed by the Senate and signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt."

Oscar DePriest was a black representative from Illinois.

From a CCC history blog:

"If the Civilian Conservation Corps had one failing, it would have to be in the area of racial integration and equality. Although the legislation that created the CCC included language expressly forbidding discrimination on the basis of race, problems cropped up almost immediately during the initial selection process in the individual states and continued throughout the life of the program. Looking back it seems clear that there was blame to go around; President Roosevelt was reluctant to use the New Deal as a platform to promote the sort of strong social agenda represented by integration, CCC Director Robert Fechner, as a southerner, was pre-disposed to notions favoring Jim Crow, some military officers were opposed to integration if not opposed to black enrollment altogether and finally, nationwide, communities large and small came out in opposition to the establishment of all-black CCC camps. "

So, I guess it's entirely possible...

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe there is enough information in this thread to submit a request for Anton Hubachek.
I'm a bit confused here, come to think of it. We have a Frank Hubachek and an Anton Holets (did I spell that right?), not an Anton Hubachek, right? Is that just a typo on your part?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a bit confused here, come to think of it. We have a Frank Hubachek and an Anton Holets (did I spell that right?), not an Anton Hubachek, right? Is that just a typo on your part?

Hokey smokes! Have I been lookng for the wrong Anton?

I went back to the notes and it does look like Holets is the name...

I do see Anto Hubachek on Bramblefinds census record, though.

I'll try the other name...

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hokey smokes! Have I been lookng for the wrong Anton?

I went back to the notes and it does look like Holets is the name...

I do see Anto Hubachek on Bramblefinds census record, though.

I'll try the other name...

It isn't easy keeping up with this. I went back through this morning and made some notes in Notepad, and even that isn't helping as much as I had thought!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
some more info & my JMO on an African American as the writer of the letter/note
when African Americans were in white camps, the black men had separate housing
and took their meals separate. granted that situation could create, im the boss here
attitude among themselves. i dont think so though as prob not many black men per
camp. i think the letter writer is a white man from the south
reading some camps had newsletters,going to look around for them

The CCC program permitted African American men to enroll, but it became harder for blacks to be accepted into the program as white enrollment increased. According to historian Barbara W. Sommer, African Americans made up only about 10 percent of all recruits. Once enrolled, they found that the camps followed the U.S. Army's racist segregation policies. Most black men served in all-African American camps at such locations as Fort Snelling State Park and Temperance River State Park. Those sent to white camps lived in segregated barracks and ate their meals apart from the rest of the recruits.

Blacks in the CCC faced discrimination from local citizens and from some white camp commanders. Ignoring the program's integration requirements, administrators stopped accepting blacks into Minnesota camps in 1938. They sent those already enrolled to camps in Missouri and other southern locations where Jim Crow laws were common, despite protests from the African American community in Minnesota.

more
Civilian Conservation Corps in Minnesota, 1933?1942 | MNopedia

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
more info from that link, i think there are a few members researching this
that are from st.paul, if you have time, maybe some info on the players in
the note here.......

SD143
Pamphlets Relating to the Civilian Conservation Corps in Minnesota, 1933–
Pamphlet Collection, Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul
Description: Pamphlets and printed ephemera relating to the history of the Civilian Conservation Corps in Minnesota and the U.S., individual camps in Minnesota, camp reunions, handbooks, and other materials.
Civilian Conservation Corps in Minnesota, 1933?1942 | MNopedia

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
more info from that link, i think there are a few members researching this
that are from st.paul, if you have time, maybe some info on the players in
the note here.......
I want to dig one of these!

2013.5.4_ring.jpg

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some more info & my JMO on an African American as the writer of the letter/note
when African Americans were in white camps, the black men had separate housing
and took their meals separate. granted that situation could create, im the boss here
attitude among themselves. i dont think so though as prob not many black men per
camp. i think the letter writer is a white man from the south
reading some camps had newsletters,going to look around for them

While the spelling leaves a lot to be desired, the penmanship is quite good.

As to the white/black issue, this picture from the link to Minnesota CCC says a lot: http://www.mnopedia.org/sites/default/files/styles/xlarge/public/SC4.2 r17.jpg

(it won't post as an image here)

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We still don't know anything at all about YOHEDRICK, do we? Google has turned up nothing for me using multiple variations on spelling. I agree with some that have said that it seems to be used as a place, not a person (frequent references to IN Yohedrick). Has anyone gotten anywhere with that?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks the zoom dosent work
I didn't see the ZOOM button at top. That does work for me, but only two levels of zoom. The first is by clicking the ZOOM button, and the second is by clicking the "+" at the upper-left. Here is a screen capture of the portion that you are probably interested in.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Photo24

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to extract the paper; place the bottle in the oven on low warm about two hours will do, then take two bamboo or thin wood sticks like toothpicks taped together and push it so that it catches the inside curl of the the paper and twist the coil smaller and pull it out. Photo24

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
iron buzz thanks, so is the camp in st.charles or just the post office
post office is marked co. 2709, thats about 40+ miles from rochester

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread