🥇 BANNER Bottle with a note inside 5 to 6 inches deep in the ground.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been continuing to explore the possibly Iowa connection -- my candidate right now for "Arty Kendy" is Arthur Kenley of Cedar Rapids. Just guessing right now & attached is some of the documentation.

He was arrested for bootlegging in 1918 and had a "colorful" life - note the mysterious stabbing in Omaha, Nebraska in 1925. He did survive and appears on the 1930 census there.

He also was briefly in the general area of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin (Menominee) at the same time that Frank Hubacheck was there (circa 1907).

The evidence of that is that his son was born and lived there with his grandparents (per 1910 census) & his listing of his son as his nearest relative on his WWI Draft registration. I think the wife/mother had died and Arthur Kenley left his young son with his maternal grandparents in Wisconsin and he returned to Linn Co., Iowa.

The son, George Kenley, had a short life with notable criminal incidences.

I also found that "Frank Roland" had a butcher shop in Fairfax, Linn Co, Iowa in 1914. But I haven't been able to track down any more info about this.
On the registration card that Bramblefind posted with Arthur Lawrence Kenley"s signature I see some resemblance in the a in his signature looks the same and the L Looks the same in the word log.
At the top of one page he has written Arty Kendy might be Arty Kenley. The K looks like his writing also.
I,m now thinking that he was the person writing these notes.
Anyone else see it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have immersed myself in the author's penmanship in order to decipher it, I believe the author was in his 60s when the notes were written. I don't see any similarity between the Kenley signature and penmanship of the notes. The note writer shows a flowing penmanship with signs of again where as the Kenley signature is much less flowing and tends to be more stuttered and oscillates up and down. Not a match in my opinion.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This bottle had an aluminum cap that was glued to a cork in the top. I hit the top and broke it off .Update--->
What i thought was cork was paper that was stuffed in the end of the bottle and it looked like cork.
Not glued like i thought.
It looks like the paper inside the bottle was holding the cap and wasn't screwed on tight. View attachment 1486732 View attachment 1486733 View attachment 1486734 View attachment 1486735 View attachment 1486736 View attachment 1486737 View attachment 1486738 View attachment 1486739 View attachment 1486740

The cap say's FRUIT INDUSTRIES LTD

Federal law forbids sale or reuse of this bottle .
The bottom has R-421 and an R in a triangle and 1-6 .

one side has a 180 and the other side has 5 .

The paper in the small neck is damp and past the small neck the paper is larger so the only way i can get it out is break it so i might do it if the bottle hasen't much value.
Wish I had seen this back in 2017. Take a pair of hemostats, reach in & grab the edge of the paper & spin until the paper winds up small enough to slide through the neck. 🤑Works good for getting 20s out of piggy banks.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before breaking the bottle I would try soaking the cap in some thing like maybe Acetone ? or something else possibly. Maybe try heating the cap up or even drilling the cap. But the LAST THING i would do is bust the neck of the bottle or the bottle its self

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leave it in the bottle toill the paper is dry. Then take a piece of dowel rod put a lan slot on it then slide it over the paper till it can be twisted till it comes out

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This bottle had an aluminum cap that was glued to a cork in the top. I hit the top and broke it off .Update--->
What i thought was cork was paper that was stuffed in the end of the bottle and it looked like cork.
Not glued like i thought.
It looks like the paper inside the bottle was holding the cap and wasn't screwed on tight. View attachment 1486732 View attachment 1486733 View attachment 1486734 View attachment 1486735 View attachment 1486736 View attachment 1486737 View attachment 1486738 View attachment 1486739 View attachment 1486740

The cap say's FRUIT INDUSTRIES LTD

Federal law forbids sale or reuse of this bottle .
The bottom has R-421 and an R in a triangle and 1-6 .

one side has a 180 and the other side has 5 .

The paper in the small neck is damp and past the small neck the paper is larger so the only way i can get it out is break it so i might do it if the bottle hasen't much value.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about contacting lets say the FBI ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just suggesting the FBI Lately they are not having a good record. Maybe some kind of state police or local law enforcement

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also add that I would not give them the original ones. Let them copy or what ever but you keep them if you can !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread