🥇 BANNER Bottle with a note inside 5 to 6 inches deep in the ground.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ughhh.....I've got a hurricane barreling down on me. I might not be here at 1pm Friday. Dang.

Ewwww....crap Lockster...SE Texas!?...wow..you are smack DAB in the middle of that monster!! They're talking 20-30 inches of rainfall!! but I'm sure you're fully aware of that...you are truly in our prayers, good luck and I hope things die down a little before getting to your area...Ddf

wilsondog

Greenie
Aug 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "yo...." name is difficult to translate. I don't have a translation but, given that this is in MN, I am thinking is may be a misspelling of a Norwegian name. The "y" may be a J. (e.g., Johan is pronounced "yohan"). Maybe Johandrick or Johanish.

Johanneck seems to be a common name in the area.

Last edited:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank I think you are right...he may have been working for Frank Rolland (since Jeff found one such Frank as a reporter) so Frank would have been his "Boss"
I also think that the name beginning with a Y could be Yahudiah or Yehudiah

Jedadiah?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya this has been fun on a rainy friday in the keys. I still think with all the robbery talk that there could be somthing hidden at the sight. I like huntsman 53 franks idea about writing down evidence. Im gonna vote banner too. Great work everyone. What a great find for everyone to share in.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to vote banner, probably one of the most interesting things I have seen posted on here. I would be a little disturbed if I found it though. Incredible find, and good luck figuring out what the letter means.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wonder if the letter writer worked at the asylum
or maybe committed, as he was sick,and wanted to leave evidence

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The news would love to print a story like this, if you are interested, it might be good to write them.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Poor grammar and spelling in the letters, but one letter this is how I translate it: Was going to shoot me with a 38 revolver so they made me stand (I think they meant stay with their poor spelling) a log cabin all day and if I did not so they could see me shoot me at once. Rolland in yoh*** in milk wagon 1896. Yelling in robb be she about it. I had to go in there the next day all day is.

So in other words they made him/her stay in a log cabin all day and if he/she didn't they was going to shoot he/she with a 38 revolver. The part with Rolland I haven't quite understood yet.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to see the movie!

I could imagine many movies happening based on this note, involving a guy escaping from the mob after being imprisoned in a log cabin for two months, while being beat and threatened with death unless he gives the location of a fortune that he buried. I could also imagine an episode of Bonanza using a similar plot, except having it take place in the 1860's with cowboys and outlaws :laughing7:.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that I am constantly checking this thread with great interest means that it will receive my banner vote! There is a story to be told here, for sure.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolland
girl
[yoheadick, yolmadick]
wife
Joe Hotels wife
house too
all were ready to drive me in there or smack my head with rock if Rolland not get be boss
drunk Rolland come to log cabin crying me greenhorn, wanted to steal his cottage and everything

If this is a correct translation, it sounds like Rolland and the writer were competing for the "boss" role. Appears the writer is being threatened with a smack in the head with a rock if Rolland isn't named as boss. Rolland himself calls the writer a greenhorn and accuses him of wanting to steal his cottage - implication being that he (writer) was not fit to be the boss. Maybe the word cottage is not to be taken literally, but may mean "job" or "position"; sort of like we would say "you're on my turf now", or "this is my sand box". A final thought is that whomever gets the boss role, gets to live in the "cottage" as a perk, sort of like a groundskeeper or on-site property manager.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my banner vote! Pure entertainment, awesome find and first thread that actually made me forget to drink my coffee till I looked up and realized it was almost lunch time!

:)

19cbb

Nov 16, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find and thread guys!
Banner find all day long!

Just wanted to share a cool freeware tool I've used for transcribing antique letters JacobBoerema.nl: Transcript: makes transcribing easier

25-08-2017 04-09-14 p.m..jpg

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rodger, is the in order you uploaded the images the order in which they were layered when you unfolded them...just asking so as to see if I can get an order of what text comes first.
Just random order. I think one was the top that was folded in the neck of the bottle and i think their was 4 pieces of paper all rolled together. On one side of each piece of paper was the writing and the other side was the lines and items sold i guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread