delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: hoard/cache of merc's as promised

fantastic find once in a life time type stuff -- whoa --

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

:o :o Holy SMOKERS!!!! Great story and super find, unbelievable! Any idea what you will do with them? I'd keep them for now then re-hide them before I died with a note how I found them in the first place :D.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

I approximate that in another 20 years, I might catch up to you on your merc count! Fantastic find! Congrats :)

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

if you could see my jaw right now well you'd have to look towards the floor ! :o WOW thats one great story and one hell of a find !! very BIG CONGRATS to you ;) thats a find of a lifetime ;D

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

OH GREAT, THANKS ALOT. Not that detecting the ground was enough work, now I gotta start tecting the trees to ;) awesome find, just amazing..... "Damn" is the right word. HH
Jim

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW...That was one heck of a find. Now, if I can somehow open the pics I can see them too. I gotta figure out why they won't open for me. Congrats on the find of a lifetime...And making the banner!

DANGLANGLEY

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Hey! Just have to tell you a little story.
I was telling a retired friend about you coins in a log, and he said he knows how they got there.
He said his mama used to sell eggs at 10 or 20 cents a dozen, and ALWAYS put the dimes in a log by the chicken coop. He said she called it her "mad money". She said if she ever got mad she would use the money to by herself something to calm herself down. After his mama died, they found the dimes in a log and laughed hysterically. Apparently his mama used to get real mad, and they could figure out how the mad money made it through.
Don't know if that's how your dimes got there, but there it is.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE

halfdime said:
Incredible, the kind of thing we only dream about! Any key dates lurking in there? Can you imagine the same cache/hoard in SLQs?

The SLQ's were in the next tree over. WHAT! YOU DIDN'T CHECK THE NEXT TREE OVER!. ;D

Welcome back, I hope the PM I sent you helped in your decision to come back "home". Even if there was one dime, the story and photos are worthy of posting. But heck, 239 works for me, too. Excellent finds and an even more interesting story.

Keep em coming!

Lucky boy

Jul 21, 2007
Houston Tx.
Detector(s) used
ACE250x2/Bounty Hunter 101/RadioShack

:o that is fantastic :o I guess I will need to go somewhere else to find anything worth keeping....in Houston I cant seem to find anything worth bragging about, I read this forum religiously and dream of finding something besides pull tabs

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok..great..now......check the dates on those mercs....1916D...just think 1916D !!!!!!!

HH

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

I have been gone for a while and really have no idea why you left, but I do agree that this is on fantastic group of peps here. The absolute strongest and best forum I have had the pleasure of being a part of.

With that said WOW what a find!! Congratulations now that is a super cache. Glad you had a super find and returned to share it with us. Thank you.

Rev

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

WOW! That is one heck of a lucky break! Just think, if you hadn't moved that log back or you didn't hear the sound of change what a different outcome there would have been. Congratulations on a great cache find and on the other silver coins.

OP
OP
sparkymaster

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6

Thank's everyone for the great posts. I'm still in awe over it myself. There were no key dates in there but that's OK.

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

That's one of the best stories I've ever heard! I'm really happy for you, and I can only hope to find something like that someday. By the way I really like that peace dollar, even though it's really worn. Once I found a Morgan up in the mountains, those big silver dollars sure sound great on the detectors!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Great writeup about what could be called catching lightning in a bottle!

I see lots of good detail in the 'stick bundles' on the backs of those Mercs.

Like plenty of other people here, I'd be interested to see a table of the dates.

That is just incredible. Way to keep after it and solve the riddle of the log, too!

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

Great story and cache find. Don't give up due to a few bad apples. They are every where in this crazy mixed up world of ours.
Good luck and keep on swinging that detector.
49er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread