hoard/cache of mercs as promised

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Re: hoard/cache of merc's as promised

I know this is an old post, but was just brousing through and found it. I hope you are still checking. I want to say, welcome back, and it is a shame there were those that tried to ruin such an incredible find for you.

Your story was very well writen with details that gave it all the credibility I need to beleave your every word. congradulations on a great find! Well done!

Tim

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, What a great post! You got to see the dream alot of can only imagine! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Beercanman

Feb 26, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky

You should of seen the looks on my buddies faces when I started swinging in the trees below knots. Don't know what ill do if it actually hits

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Extremely jealous my friend. great finds! :headbang:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A bit late with the congratulations, but anyway CONGRATULATIONS! I have been thinking about this kind of hiding place for a while, but havent found any trees that fit the description. If not in the tree itself, im sure if a tree has big exposed roots, that someone has hid things under them, At least I did when I was a kid. Also a lot of big trees have been used as swings, and hang outs, so there is bound to be coins around there, along with the pop tops of course!

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

wow what a awesome find the best fine i ever had was when i found 2 silver dimes 6 inches apart 1 was a 60 rosie the other was a barber 1901 s or o cant remember .i was using my garrett propointer on a broomstick just hunting the edge of the sidewalks and i thought i found a silver dollar. i sat down then layed down on side walk with my pocket knife and started digging the dirt out of the way. i seen gold i pulled it out with my finger tips took off for the house. had to go back and get my stuff and was spitting and spitting on it and hoping the dirt would come off. got in the house and got the dirt off of it with a cloth cotton diaper. it was a big gold plated role playing game token .i have high blood pressure and when my wife seen me come in she said sit down you have no color in your face. i said 20 dollar gold piece then s**T its a game token and sat down for about 30 minutes to get my bp calmed down.that was the biggest let down since i have been detecting .

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nice Franco silver coin ... :thumbsup:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The Spanish 25 pesetas is not silver, but copper-nickel. Can you post a pic of the front?

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Great finds
congrats.gif

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is pretty astounding to have found so many mercs in a tree. They could have gotten there any number of ways, but barring human activity it is possible that they were stolen by Starlings or other birds which are attracted to shiny objects. Included is a link to a story regarding birds being documented stealing quarters (lots of them, heh) from a car wash. It is funny to think that perhaps back in the day, after work someone would empty their pockets on a table and go relax on their back porch or yard and crack open a few cold ones and while otherwise engaged, the person's unattended pile of change was pilfered by enterprising starlings and secreted in a nearby hollow tree. :laughing7:

snopes.com: Change Is in the Air!

jtomlinson

Jan 3, 2013
Newport
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Garret pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that is awesome!!!!! Thanks for sharing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions