Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it has been an amazing year for me considering the sites I hunted. I told myself many months ago I was going to go back to the same 2 pounded sites that my buddies gave up on a few years ago. When I had more time on my hands a few years ago...I hunted with a couple of guys 3 or 4 times each week for hours on end at these 2 sites...but not with my SE. With my "on call" work status I truly never had time to hit new places or do much research this year. When I hunted...90% of the time it would be for just a couple of hours at the exact same 2 sites I'm speaking of because I simply needed to take full advantage of the little time I did have. I set my goal to try and reach 50 silver coins and 20 indian heads from these worn out sites. I ended the year with 102 Silver coins...and around 80 of those came from the 2 "hunted out" sites I'm speaking of. I also made 3 or 4 trips to St. Louis to hunt a few hours at pounded to death Forest Park with some buddies...and believe it or not...BOTH Half dimes came from there. I also found my Capped Bust Dime at a St. Louis park this year.
I think what I'm most proud of though is the fact that I popped out 40 Indian Head cents this year from these beat to death places...by far my best year ever for injuns. One of them came from 10" down which just amazed me. Trust me...no site is ever hunted out. I'm glad I found this forum and I got a couple of tips from Captn_SE. I then incorporated his tips into my own settings...and man o' man...I now have even more confidence to pluck silver from any of my pounded places. Thanks again Dan.
Yep...this year has been good to me. After 30 years of hunting I found my first large cent...my first half dime...make that TWO half dimes...my first capped bust dime...and the 40 injuns. I also located a ring for a lady and on the same hunt found a 14K earing loaded with diamonds.
I met some great new friends and hunting buddies this year so hopefully next year I can meet them in St. Louis for some diggin'.
The pics below are as follows...1) Half dimes, bust dime. Walker, SLQ, and older silver..2) Rest of the Barber dimes-1 in another pic...3) Quarters and Rosey's...4) 34 of the 44 Mercs-rest are in another pic...5) 4 Bags of Silver...injuns...wheaties etc that I havent cleaned or put in holders yet...that make my totals what they are. Also in this pic is the box of 546 Wheaties along with tokens etc....6) Pic of huge sterling silver ring which I found for a lady and returned to her. Also in this pic is a gorgeous 14K earringw/ LOTS of channel set diamonds which I found while hunting for said ring...just iceing on the cake....7...pic of me with lady returning the ring to her over my lunch break at work....8... 32 of the 40 Injuns-rest are in another pic...

Silver Coins (102)

1 - Capped Bust Dime
2 - Half Dimes
6 - War Nickels
15 - Barber Dimes
44 - Mercury Dimes
22 - Silver Roosie Dimes
1 - Standing Liberty Quarter
10 - Silver Washington Quarters
1 - Walking Liberty Half Dollar

Other Old Coins

40 - Indian Head Pennies
1 - Large Cent
546 - Wheat Pennies
$146 - Clad coins

Attachments

• jewelry.jpg
    jewelry.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 7,420
  • bettercoins.jpg
    bettercoins.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 7,617
  • year1.jpg
    year1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 7,560
  • yearend2.jpg
    yearend2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 7,529
  • yearend4.jpg
    yearend4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7,468
  • yearend5.jpg
    yearend5.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 7,477
  • jewelry.jpg
    jewelry.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 7,394
  • returningring (5).jpg
    returningring (5).jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 8,266
  • yearend32.jpg
    yearend32.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 7,278
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Awsome finds, great job on the silver. wtg on the returned ring too. Good luck in '08.
HH
Glenn

troyx5

Nov 24, 2007
Nice finds!!! I'm not much of a coin hunter, relic hunter here, but I'll take 'em!

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one Great Collection there Bryce. I need to get more organized and sort my coins out like you. I just throw mine into my sock drawer. Hope we get to hunt next spring.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
:oSilverFreak :o 8)

A post for the record books !

Scrolling down in your post the pics just go & go !!

Now imagine if you were'nt on call and had more time ! Come '08 your gonna rock !
Again and again proof no place is never picked clean , a IH at 10'' DEEP !

Returning the ring you can see the happiness in her face,and what comes around DOES go around !

GREAT POST !! ;)

D. 8)

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I am impressed with the amount of silver you dug from these sites. Finding those seated coins must have been a rush! Congrats! Best silver wishes next year.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasurdiggrNY said:
Awsome finds, great job on the silver. wtg on the returned ring too. Good luck in '08.
HH
Glenn
Thanks Glenn.
Have a safe holiday season.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
troyx5 said:
Nice finds!!! I'm not much of a coin hunter, relic hunter here, but I'll take 'em!
Thanks for responding. I don't get to relic hunt much at all...but it sure sounds fun.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
camb1 said:
That is one Great Collection there Bryce. I need to get more organized and sort my coins out like you. I just throw mine into my sock drawer. Hope we get to hunt next spring.
Bruce...were gonna hunt next spring if you can get us some sites that you and G haven't cleaned out.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Derek752 said:
:oSilverFreak :o 8)

A post for the record books !

Scrolling down in your post the pics just go & go !!

Now imagine if you were'nt on call and had more time ! Come '08 your gonna rock !
Again and again proof no place is never picked clean , a IH at 10'' DEEP !

Returning the ring you can see the happiness in her face,and what comes around DOES go around !

GREAT POST !! ;)

D. 8)
Thanks D. I wish I could and would have more hunt time next year...but it might actually be less.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rebelLT said:
I am impressed with the amount of silver you dug from these sites. Finding those seated coins must have been a rush! Congrats! Best silver wishes next year.
Thanks RebelLT. It was definately a rush...and would have been even better if I had my glasses on when I found the capped bust...cause' I didn't know what it was ;D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get over all that silver...look at those Mercury Dimes :o Heck, I haven't even found my 1st one yet. :'(
Congrats! No wonder your screen name is Silver Freak. ;D ;D

;) RR

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that is outstanding! you have a few coins that are still on my "to find" list! like a capped bust dime and a walker! very very nice finds!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
I can't get over all that silver...look at those Mercy Dimes :o Heck, I haven't even found my 1st once yet. :'(
Congrats! No wonder you screen name is Silver Freak. ;D ;D

;) RR
Thanks RR. Your silver will come soon I'm sure.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
that is outstanding! you have a few coins that are still on my "to find" list! like a capped bust dime and a walker! very very nice finds!
Thanks hollowpointred. The half dimes and the capped bust were definately shockers this year.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Damn! Now THAT is Hardcore! I love it! :)

A Halfdime and Capped Bust are my 2 biggest goals for 2008.

Congrats on the KILLER year!

Happy Holidays!

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Super nice "stuff" You may not have had time to do much research but I know you put in a lot of hard work to pick those coins out of an area like Forrest park. I have hunted there in the past(about 10 years ago) and know the level of trash you had to contend with in most areas. BUT that is where most coins are. One of my best coin finds came from Forrest park(SLQ 18s 8 over 7) and on the same day a friend from Ind. found an 1860-o seated dime in EF40 condition(big bucks) Keep up the good work and have a happy New Year.

Keep on diggin
Les

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Buzzard King said:
Damn! Now THAT is Hardcore! I love it! :)

A Halfdime and Capped Bust are my 2 biggest goals for 2008.

Congrats on the KILLER year!

Happy Holidays!
Thanks BK. All 3 of those finds were a complete surprise this year. I'm looking forward to next year.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggerfororo said:
Super nice "stuff" You may not have had time to do much research but I know you put in a lot of hard work to pick those coins out of an area like Forrest park. I have hunted there in the past(about 10 years ago) and know the level of trash you had to contend with in most areas. BUT that is where most coins are. One of my best coin finds came from Forrest park(SLQ 18s 8 over 7) and on the same day a friend from Ind. found an 1860-o seated dime in EF40 condition(big bucks) Keep up the good work and have a happy New Year.

Keep on diggin
Les

Thanks Les. Forest Park has some of the trashiest areas I have ever hunted before. What I really like about it though is that there is just so much area to cover...and each spot is different and calls for a coil switch. I hope to make a few more trips there next year.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Bryce, what a terrific year you had. :o You doubled your goals in silver and injuns. Awesome, buddy. :o

I'm glad we were able to exchange our knowledge we have for the SE and use it to our advantage. You've been a good friend on Tnet this year....a very avid(addicted) md'er like me... ;)

I know your success will continue in '08. You have confidence and a good understanding of your SE now.

Killer post, my friend!!

Have a Happy New Year!!
Dan
CAPTN SE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread