• CCF04232005_00343.jpg
    CCF04232005_00343.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 30,014

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SAH-WEET....................Been Doin this a while..............Haven't YA ?

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
I found this cache 13 months after I started metal detecting. At the very first spot I had started detecting ironically.

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Nick,

Can you repost with a pic that is in focus? Can't tell exactly what it is you got there. It looks like maybe 150 silver $1, around 40 silver 50? plus 6 more silver 50?, perhaps 7 gold $2 1/2 and maybe 3 gold $5. Plus a jar.

Were you shaking from the excitement of the find so much so that the pic got blurred? :o

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
The whole story is under Photo Gallery / Best Finds / Re: 243 coins/10 gold! --nick1878. I took alot of pictures when they were found but not too many turned out. I used three types of cameras, just wasnt very good with photographpy at the time. I am trying to fix them so you all can see them better to be continued...

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Here is a shot of the gold. found ten and there are only 9 in the pic. i wear one on a chain

Attachments

• goldcoins.jpg
    goldcoins.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 28,589

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Nick 10 gold coins is way to many for one person to find. I think you should bury a few of those around so the rest of us will have a chance. i want the first copy of the clues and or the map. ;D

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Dont forget there were 243 silver coins buried with the 10 gold. Just as an added bonus. I am still working on the pics of those. I unfortunately dont have all of them still. I kept the gold and about half of the silver coins and sold the rest. Was able to buy a water machine and another land machine for my son.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Very nice! Did you find this cache on an old homesite, in a park, swimming hole, or where?
xXx

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Hey XXX and anyone interested This is a recap of the story it was posted in Cache hunting and Best finds in February I think. My family moved to a house when I was 5 lived there 27 years. It is an 1853 farm house, have done a ton of research. The family was very promient at the time had 600 acres of maple groves. One of the biggest maple syrup manufacturers. Had patents on the jarring and shipping crates. They grew apples, berries, peaches etc. I have visited there graves in a forgotten pioneer cemetery, and the church they used t belong to I got my detector in 97 and started practicing at home before I tore up anyone elses land. Well this site has been hunted regularly by me ever since then and I am still amazed at the finds.

Bullets, bttons, buckles, toys, knives, relics of all sorts, rings, ancient jewelry, farm equipment. Oneof every type of us coin (penny, nckle dime and quarter ) some halves.

Then one day after reading out detecting crawl spaces in lost treasure magazine, I decided to give it a try and Found one indian cent and nothing else. Before I left the cellar there was one corner where they used to store coal, that had not been covered wit concrete o I thought what the heck its rainingoutsd so better than nothing. It ws a 7x7'area and it took me several hours to digall the coins out of the ground. I got a ton of signals in this area. Dug down about 6 inches and hit glass It was a green mason jar and I couldsee morgan silvr dollars in the jar. I was shaking so hard trying to dig this jar ot of the tough clay earth That jr was so heavy. My friend and I sat there and stare at it for about ten minutes. Not wanting to take out any coins till later to carefully do it as to not damage any.
Then before filling the hole decded to check it again and a strong signal, the coin just kept coming aout by the handfuls, some as deep as nearly a foot in the cay.
In total I dug down about 2 feet and widened the hole about 2 feet across. I still get signals from the area but havent found anything else.

The ironic part is we use to come down here during tornados and storms that was the only time, cause it is dark damp and full of snakes. We used to sit on the huge rock that covered this cache al those years not knowing what ly just beneath us.

I got home and filled the sink with warm soap water and suberged the jar and coins. I pulled them out 1 by 1 looking at them documenting the date condition mint marks etc. 160 mrgan silver dollars, 34 barber silver halves, 43 barber silver quarters, an 6 seated liberty halves

WhenI got to the jar I slowly started pulling the coins out and rinsing 1 by1 in the center of the jar wrapped in newspaper were 3 $10 gold eagles and 7 $5 gold half eagles.

Al the coins were xxf - Un condition and alot of cc mint marks 1 of every date and nearly every mint morgan silver dollar. Put together almost a complete collectin from them. The newest date on any coin was 1902 and the oldest was 1853 the same year the house was built.

Everyone tells me this is a once in a lifetime find which means I might as well stop hunting, no thanks I will find another.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 27,576
  • vv.JPG
    vv.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 27,402

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is incredible! Thanks for posting those pictures. I remember reading your story months ago. I thought "I'll believe it when I see it." ::) Now I'm a believer, Brother Nick! Amen! :o

Viltaire

Feb 26, 2005
Nice story and Great find. I hope I am fortunate enough to find a cache like that. It's wierd sometimes how you can hit a site and explore and not find much, then on a whim hit an area in said same site and all of a sudden bam! you find something. Nice pictures. Oh, and that is definitely your cache alottment for this lifetime and prolly the next ;)

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A true Treasure! Way to go!