Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Cache Found (Updated With New Photos)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2005
    Orlando, FL
    8 times

Re: Cache Found

Hats off to you, man!!! Excellent finds!

vicki

us
    Jul 2004
    Indy
    Cz3d
    12 times

That is totally awesome!, Jer
    You really deserve it. I've seen some of your other post, and you are one hard core hunter,,, WTG!!!
    I bet ya can't buy a bracelet like that for $2 bucks these days... I would definitely have some of that stuff checked out...
    Good luck, as if you need it, & Happy hunting~

P.S.> What's the dimensions on the box? It doesn't look to be too big...

us
    finder of the gold coin

Jan 2005
    LOU-EVIL KY
    white's DFX
    3 times

nice digs jer,thanks for the post,you have some nice stuff there,the watches are nice and may be worth something right along with the other stuff,great job.

Mark

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab Etrac Xp Deus
    762 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thanks alot guys, I can't even make it to the local club tonight after this find. Tomorrow is my birthday and every year I make a extraordinary find for some reason on my birthday. I happened to go out today because the wife came home from work early. I found a seated dime yesterday and was going to put it up along with the rest of the stuff I found yesterday until I found this today. I will get more picks together for you guys. Sorry that my picks are so close up. I hate that myself but I have to try and figure out how to make them smaller when needed and zoomed in when needed. I think that 2 of the pieces are solid gold but not sure. I don't know if it is common for the casing of the pocket watch to be stamped with the karat it is. They have writing but don't say gold or gold plated or anything.

I was able to carry the cache because believe it or not it is the size of a bar of soap. But it was really heavy. Everything was wrapped up in that cloth so when I shook it I couldn't really here anything but knew something was in it. I didn't want to get my hopes up to high so I actually went on with my hunt. I found a buffaloe nickle and a v-nickle and was happy with that. I was only out today not even 1 and a half hrs.

When I got home was when I started to get excited again as to what may be in it. It was hard to get open. I wanted to keep it in the best as shape as I could but I was forced to cut it open. It was sealed. I was shaking a little ?as I took every artifact out carfully. It has to be something great for me to start shaking. Just one coin in the cache. It was sealed in the locket like a surprise. I took every thing out and said no coins. I rinsed everything off. I decided to open it up to find a picture of the person and there was a tiny coin the size of a 3 cent silver in it. It has a hole in it that you would need a bit smaller than a tooth pick to drill it.

Thanks again guys. I will work on getting it cleaner and showing you guys the insides of the watches. It really is out there. I did not expect it at all. If that cache where 2 feet deep I would have found it. The box is made of copper. It looks like it has a nickle plating over it. With all the good metal in the box my detector read it as a plus 93 on the dfx and came in very strong. It was probably 8 to 10 inches deep after I moved the rock off the surface.

HH Jer

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    West Michigan
    A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
    522 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Nice finds for sure jerdfx!! con-grats on such a nice cache!

1 thing though, and I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but,

take a look at the "wrist watch"

the common man didn't use/own wrist watches until the mid 20th century (1940s/50s) (they weren't even invented until the very end of the 1800s and were considered "womens pieces" even into the teens/20s/30s.

Also, it looks as though the back of that watch is "stainless steel??"

Stainless steel wasn't even invented until 1924 (which how long before they started using it for general items, and then using it on watches?).

Judging by the design, and composition of that watch (if that back is stainless steel??)

this cache was buried no earlier than the 50s at the earliest.

Some of the items contained within are older (that's obvious)

I believe the Elgin pocket watch to be solid silver case (1930s)

the gold pocket watch to be "solid gold case" (1910s - 1920s)

the other pocket watch "silver plate" (1930s/40s)

the locket (gold plate) 1920s/30s

the stick pins (1920s/30s)

the medals, cuff links, etc. etc. - brass, silver, and silver plate and or gold plate (1910s thru 1940s)

I see this kind of stuff almost daily, and sell a lot of it (along with coins- my main business/income). My business partner owns an antique shop that we do business together at. I'm not 100% sure on these estimates (without holding them in my hands to check) but, I have bought/sold a lot of similar items from these eras and a lot that have been almost identical to a lot of yours.

No matter though, it's a great find for dam sure!

Wish I could find one like it!

HH

Lonewolfe

Sir Gala Clad likes this.

us
    Sep 2003
    Allentown Pa.
    DFX 300
    383 times
    Banner Finds (1)

thats awsome bud!!!
    10,000 light years from nowhere, our planet shot to pieces, people starving, and I'm gonna get us in trouble!! Whats the matter with you!?

http://www.reverbnation.com/akiaslanfear

us
    Jul 2004
    Indy
    Cz3d
    12 times

How about a pic of the pic of the person you found inside the locket...
    Sounds like a tongue twister...

robert_from_pa

I resized your pics and adjusted the color a bit... hope you don't mind...

oops, hang on...? something isnt right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obverse.jpg 
Views:	14459 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	66233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	14408 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	66234  

us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    41 times

that cache is VERY cool we all wish to find something that cool someday yours came a little earlier than ours!not to pop your bubble but my guess is it was stolen and stashed many years back. y would someone hide some off this stuff that seems perfectlly fine in a jewelry box?just a thought but still a cool find,i found a ammo box(metal) buried at the base of a large lone tree. if you all could have seen my eyes, was on new years eve during a warm spell.took me 1/2 hour too dig it out frost frozen ground etc,the things running threw my mind, i was all over the page!!!!well it turned out to be some college kids time capsule so anti climatic,oh well way to JER you the man
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

Dec 2004
    Wyandotte, Michigan
    1 times

Now thats a treasure I can believe and envy, Thanks for sharing.

Nov 2004
    surfside beach sc
    3 times

way to go nice find have to disagree with dekalb though, a stolen cache would not have been in a soldered box. are there any markings on the stickpins? again nice find :::::drool::::

us
    Mar 2005
    Hills near Eureka,Ca
    2 times

?J--
    Thats one of the coolest post ive seen in awhile-- That musta been sumpin' else!! Could have easily have been full o J.S. Ormsby $5 gold pieces......Hey -could happen!! Still your find and whole soldered box thing and its contents each have a rich little story behind them.Thats what its all about!!!And your overall story really encompasses our coolest of cool hobby--Detecting !! Man, keep it up your next box could have your retirement in it !!

us
    Mar 2005
    Kernersville, North Carolina
    1 times

Wow, Jer! ?Just looking at your pics got my heart going! ?If a newbie has any doubts about really being able to find treasure out there, all they need to do is read this thread for inspiration!

WTG and HH!
    Barb
    A smile is a face-lift you get for free 

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab Etrac Xp Deus
    762 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thanks alot everyone. I am attachimng some picks of the stuff cleaned up. Hope you all like them. I am working on some coins and artifacts right now as we speak. As soon as I get them done I will post tonight or tommorow.

Good luck to all HH Jer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cache Found 7.jpg 
Views:	14259 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	66253  

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    160 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

congratulations on a wonderful find. keep on digging !!!!
    ALLEN

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links