Cache Found (Updated With New Photos)

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
Been a while since this post started. Hope the original poster reads this. As to the watchs; I dont claim to be an expert, but collected watchs at one time pretty heavy. I doubt strongly that any of your watchs have sterling silver or solid gold cases. For one thing the style of the watchs suggests otherwise. There were very few watch cases made of sterling silver, or solid gold. One problem was that solid sterling or solid gold was very soft, and didnt make for a very strong case, as they were easily bent or dented. I have seen some very small size watchs, usually a ladies pendant watch made of solid silver or gold, but seldom larger sizes.

Watch cases were stamped inside back covers as 15 yr, 2o yr, or 25 yr cases. The higher the year number, the more gold was plated onto the cases base metal. The base metal usually being some kind of metal such as brass. The case on the left in box was most likely a silveroid case, or possibly coin silver though not likely that. The gold colored case was some sort of gold plated case, again indicated by a number such as '10 yr' or higher. If you view some watch cases that were heavily used, you can see the gold wore thru to the base metal. This is not to say your watchs have little value, as the value of any antique watch is based on other factors besides the case. Most of the value of a watch is based on quality of the movement., indicated by the number of jewels. The more jewels the watch has, the better the time quality. Hence a 21 or 23 jewel watch is a better movement than a 7 jewel. The amount of jewels is usually indicated on the movement itself. Also the maker and or model of watch, determines its value as well. Elgin was a prolific maker of watchs, haveing made millions before 1900. While some makers never buillt 1 million in total. So rareity is a factor in value. And then again, so is condition. So you should take your watchs to a collector/repair man for best assesment. But likely you already have. But perhaps my info here will help other guys and ladies, finding watchs, to objectively view watch values, or gives ideas as to how to determine something to start with. Hope I have been of some help.

drcecil

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2007
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, DMC 2B, Whites DIPRO 6000
I just found you post. Great finds!!! I believe the medal with Delegate on it is a GAR medal. Grand Army of the Republic. Union post Civil War reunion groups. My ggggfather was in one from Nicholson PA. - 143 PAVOL.

DRC

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FIND !!! Congrats :laughing9:

Roysdaughter

Mar 26, 2011
Awesome find! I would go back to the area and really work it over carefully, you never know what else you might find!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool. i have a gold watch and chain that is 18k looks like the color of yours. The metal is thin but the chain is heavy. What fun treasure trove of finds!

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cache find!

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW WE WOW WE! What a find, great stuff in there. I wonder why they left the price tag on it? maybe a clepto hiding his/her stash. Still I'd love to dig something like that. I vote BANNER !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrandy said:
WOW WE WOW WE! What a find, great stuff in there. I wonder why they left the price tag on it? maybe a clepto hiding his/her stash. Still I'd love to dig something like that. I vote BANNER !

Original post is 6 years old, it would have hit the banner 6 years ago....LOL... :wink:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I was wondering if the medal on the holed "coin" was the CMH, but when you said GAR, I know you were right. And this was immediately after the war. Interesting piece.

I wonder what the longest thread running is??? Administrator?????

Dec 15, 2010
JerV3 said:
There was a small coin inside the compact thing with the old English writing. It has on the front a eagle on a shield with a star badge under it that looks like the one's police use. The back has alot of writing but I have to look over it with a loop. It is also dated 1861 1866.

The five-pointed star/shield device you mention looks very much like a Medal of Honor coined.

moh.jpg

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you got great prices for the items that you had found. What did you find lately?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get out of my dream sweet find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread