Cache Found (Updated With New Photos)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi guys, Well today I finally found my first cache other than a few coins in a hole. I was detecting a wooded area in a old neighborhood. I got a strong signal overtop of a flat big rock on the surface. I moved the rock dug down about 8 inches and out pops this box. I shook it for the sound of coins but didn't hear much. I put it in my pouch and went on hunting.

When I got home a few hrs ago the box appeared to be sealed with some kind of solder. I went down to the basement got some wire cutters and started to cut it open. I started to see a cloth and was able to pull a earing out. I then knew I had something. I saw a pocket watch also. I was very excited to open it up and see what was in it.

Some of the stuff appears to be gold and silver but not marked. I haven't done much to the stuff but rinse it and scan it for you guys. There was a small coin inside the compact thing with the old English writing. It has on the front a eagle on a shield with a star badge under it that looks like the one's police use. The back has alot of writing but I have to look over it with a loop. It is also dated 1861 1866. The medal I found says 35th annual encampment Pennsylvania divisions of veterans u.s.a. It says at the top delegate. One the back it has the picture of the capitol. It says on the front 1915 phila.

Wish I knew who and why this was buried. I am guessing it was buried in the teens. Let me know what you guys think. I don't know much about this stuff and the brand watches. I will leave more info as I look the stuff over and as you guys reply to it.

Thanks again HH Jer

Attachments

• Cache Found.jpg
    Cache Found.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 16,845
  • cache found 001.JPG
    cache found 001.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 15,178
  • cache found 002.JPG
    cache found 002.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 14,874
  • cache found 004.JPG
    cache found 004.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 14,792
  • cache found 005.JPG
    cache found 005.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 14,749
  • cache found 006.JPG
    cache found 006.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 14,638
  • cache found 007.JPG
    cache found 007.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 14,512
  • cache again 010.JPG
    cache again 010.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 14,377
  • cache again 011.JPG
    cache again 011.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 14,318

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Re: Cache Found

WOW!!!! What a haul!!! Fantastic finds you lucky dog! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! JerDfx You are the man! Thanks for an awsome post! HH omnicognic 8)

D

detect4ever

very cool find, hope someday i can share the same.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW! I bet you heart was REALLY beepin' ! That's a great find! :o

Nana

M

mattjd

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Love those old pocket watches! Were did you find these Jer. Amazing!

F

Floater

That is FANTASTIC. I am looking at the cuff links and wondering if they are real diamonds. the watches alone are worth a nice amount and I believe the Medal could be worth a lot more than oyu think. You really need to research it. Great Finds. I dont know if I could Type after all that. Nice work JerDFX.HH Keep us posted on your story here.

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003

NICE!! Unbelievable stuff!

I would love it if you could make you pics juuuuuuuuust a little smaller tho, so I don't have to scroll over!

R

robert_from_pa

That is an absolutely FANTASIC find! My regards!

I especially love the one bracelet that still has the price tag on it! Some of this stuff may be very, very valuable.. ?if you don't know Pappy from the TreasureQuestXLT board, here's his thread where people ask him what stuff is - please visit this and link him here. He'll be able to tell you what most if not all of what that stuff is!

http://www.treasurequestxlt.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Again, congratulations!

(just makes you stop and think of all those "big iron signals that were too deep to dig....")

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

Very Cool find. Way too go. I have heard of several catches being found under rocks. One was a jar of silver dollars in a flower bed at a old house. So start moving those rock guys.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

Very Cool find. Way too go. I have heard of several catches being found under rocks. One was a jar of silver dollars in a flower bed at a old house. So start moving those rock guys.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Good Job- I bet your hand was shaking.
What a thrill! Is that blood on that cloth or just rust?

Way to Go
George

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

That is totally awesome!, Jer
You really deserve it. I've seen some of your other post, and you are one hard core hunter,,, WTG!!!
I bet ya can't buy a bracelet like that for $2 bucks these days... I would definitely have some of that stuff checked out...
Good luck, as if you need it, & Happy hunting~

P.S.> What's the dimensions on the box? It doesn't look to be too big...

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX

nice digs jer,thanks for the post,you have some nice stuff there,the watches are nice and may be worth something right along with the other stuff,great job.

Mark

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Thanks alot guys, I can't even make it to the local club tonight after this find. Tomorrow is my birthday and every year I make a extraordinary find for some reason on my birthday. I happened to go out today because the wife came home from work early. I found a seated dime yesterday and was going to put it up along with the rest of the stuff I found yesterday until I found this today. I will get more picks together for you guys. Sorry that my picks are so close up. I hate that myself but I have to try and figure out how to make them smaller when needed and zoomed in when needed. I think that 2 of the pieces are solid gold but not sure. I don't know if it is common for the casing of the pocket watch to be stamped with the karat it is. They have writing but don't say gold or gold plated or anything.

I was able to carry the cache because believe it or not it is the size of a bar of soap. But it was really heavy. Everything was wrapped up in that cloth so when I shook it I couldn't really here anything but knew something was in it. I didn't want to get my hopes up to high so I actually went on with my hunt. I found a buffaloe nickle and a v-nickle and was happy with that. I was only out today not even 1 and a half hrs.

When I got home was when I started to get excited again as to what may be in it. It was hard to get open. I wanted to keep it in the best as shape as I could but I was forced to cut it open. It was sealed. I was shaking a little ?as I took every artifact out carfully. It has to be something great for me to start shaking. Just one coin in the cache. It was sealed in the locket like a surprise. I took every thing out and said no coins. I rinsed everything off. I decided to open it up to find a picture of the person and there was a tiny coin the size of a 3 cent silver in it. It has a hole in it that you would need a bit smaller than a tooth pick to drill it.

Thanks again guys. I will work on getting it cleaner and showing you guys the insides of the watches. It really is out there. I did not expect it at all. If that cache where 2 feet deep I would have found it. The box is made of copper. It looks like it has a nickle plating over it. With all the good metal in the box my detector read it as a plus 93 on the dfx and came in very strong. It was probably 8 to 10 inches deep after I moved the rock off the surface.

HH Jer

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds for sure jerdfx!! con-grats on such a nice cache!

1 thing though, and I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but,

take a look at the "wrist watch"

the common man didn't use/own wrist watches until the mid 20th century (1940s/50s) (they weren't even invented until the very end of the 1800s and were considered "womens pieces" even into the teens/20s/30s.

Also, it looks as though the back of that watch is "stainless steel??"

Stainless steel wasn't even invented until 1924 (which how long before they started using it for general items, and then using it on watches?).

Judging by the design, and composition of that watch (if that back is stainless steel??)

this cache was buried no earlier than the 50s at the earliest.

Some of the items contained within are older (that's obvious)

I believe the Elgin pocket watch to be solid silver case (1930s)

the gold pocket watch to be "solid gold case" (1910s - 1920s)

the other pocket watch "silver plate" (1930s/40s)

the locket (gold plate) 1920s/30s

the stick pins (1920s/30s)

the medals, cuff links, etc. etc. - brass, silver, and silver plate and or gold plate (1910s thru 1940s)

I see this kind of stuff almost daily, and sell a lot of it (along with coins- my main business/income). My business partner owns an antique shop that we do business together at. I'm not 100% sure on these estimates (without holding them in my hands to check) but, I have bought/sold a lot of similar items from these eras and a lot that have been almost identical to a lot of yours.

No matter though, it's a great find for dam sure!

Wish I could find one like it!

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread