🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GREATEST hunt of my life: Iron Brigade's THREE BUCKLE DAY

Hello All,

I'm still shaking as I write this. I'm still in a state somewhere between shock and disbelief. Today ended up being my best relic hunt ever--and great finds were made by all of us Iron Brigaders today. So I'll try to get my mind focused on telling the story to you...

I went out with Rodeo Recon and Recon's Girl today to do some Housesite Huntin--Iron Brigade style. We had seen a picturesque house--really a turn of the century, ruin of a shack on a hill, and we'd decided that we'd stop and ask to hunt it. Now this house was newer that what we're after in the way of finds, but it was a beautiful location. The property owner gave us the go-ahead--with the warning that "several guys had already detected the property about fifteen years ago." We said we'd try to find something interesting. (This never scares me off.) Besides, I wanted to judge the caliber of detectorist that had been working the area. Well, when we got there, there was Silent Night playing on our machines. :-\ I thought to myself "Self, these guys are pretty damned good. Professional, Serious hunters that really work a site out." Fortunately, we trumped their professionalism today--BIG TIME. :thumbsup: I had a little trick up my sleeve--armed with more information and research on the area, I knew that there was an older house site than the shack on the property--back off in an unassuming corner of the farm diagonally behind the shack. I was a little worried that one of the other hunters had stumbled onto it because it was so close to the obvious spot, but I had to check it out with the team just to be absolutely certain.

So we got onto the older housesite--gone without a trace. The dirt had certainly been disturbed, and the cellar hole and cistern had long ago been filled in (Oh MAN I'd like to know what's in there!). But we still found about an acre of huntable ground. We started getting iron hits as we traversed the area--digging up some BIG IRON and pottery. :) We'd located the site.

Pretty soon, Recon's Girl had herself a button. She said "I think it's an Eagle" Sure enough, I looked at it and was pretty darned certain that it was one. (We didn't field clean it since its back was broken in and it looked pretty fragile.) I took this photo of the site standing from where we were hunting--looking back on the old hunted-out shack. :wink: If those previous searchers had only known what was waiting underground just down the hill. :o Little did I know that where I knelt to take this photo was within a few feet of where one of the PRIZE finds of the day was waiting to be found by me less than an hour later. I didn't even have my detector when I snapped the photo--I'd placed it against the tree for the shot ::)

4-17-08 Shot of the Site.jpg

So I get back to hunting. Since the ground had been disturbed, I was digging ALL overload signals--including a piece which was right on the surface under the tall grass (this one would set the tone for the rest of the hunt!). It was the "female" part of a belt keeper from a buckle. I looked long and hard at it, then announced to the team that I thought that it was potentially military--and OLD. I said something like "There has to be a Belt Plate around here somewhere." ::)

About a half an hour later--the finds were still coming up. Ooooold buttons, pewter spoon handles, a thimble, a suspender clip...and I wandered up toward where I'd taken the photo. Another overload signal blasted through the speaker of the 1266-X. When I opened up that ground and flipped that plug out, I caught a glimpse of one of the Sweetest finds that a relic hunter can see. Even though it was covered in moist dirt, I carefully took it out of the hole because I wanted everyone to watch its identity be revealed:

4-17-08 Belt Plate Covered in Mud.jpg

With the team standing around, I pulled the mud off the face of the plate, revealing the Eagle of a Civil War Sword Belt Plate! The second photo shows the impression of the Eagle in the mud after the plate's long rest underground.

4-17-08 Belt Plate Revealed.jpg

4-17-08 Belt Plate Eagle Imprint in Dirt.jpg

I was ecstatic, and the team was in SHOCK. I then pulled the last of the mud off the plate--documenting each step with a photo. Here are the front and back (attachment still there!) as found:

4-17-08 Belt Plate Fully Revealed.jpg

4-17-08 Belt Plate Fully Revealed Reverse.jpg

I then announced that I was done digging for a while. I turned my machine off so that I could catch my breath and enjoy looking at the plate. (I've found that it's too hard to be at the top of my game after a find like that--and I have to "come back to earth" in order to keep hunting well. Meanwhile the other two pounded this little honey of a site. Here's a photograph of Rodeo hard at work.

4-17-08 Rodeo Picturesque.jpg

Well folks, at this point I thought that it COULDN'T POSSIBLY get any better. I figured that the rest of the hunt would wind down and draw to a relaxing close. Let me tell you--I was WAY wrong on that one! I turned on my machine after sitting in the grass and acquiring a few Ticks :tard: while staring at the plate. And I was off again. Within about 10 minutes of turning on the detector, I got a deep sounding signal. I thought it might be bigger and a little on the iron side (no ID machine here!), but I always dig such signals anyhow--at that point we had a Mount Everest of old, BIG IRON stacked up beside a tree. LOL. So I dug...and I dug. At about a foot deep--perhaps over a foot--I saw this disc appear, and it was the color of a dirt-covered milk-glass top from a canning jar lid. I TOTALLY thought that's what it was as I bent over to pick it up--until I got it in my hand. And it was HEAVY! I immediately said a prayer "Please let this be a..." and turned it over. I saw the sleepy old dirt-encrusted eagle of a Shoulder Belt Plate staring me in the face! I threw down my gloves and shouted to the others "The Whole Damned Uniform is Here!!!" They came running over to see:

4-17-08 Shoulder Plate in Dirt Close-Up.jpg

4-17-08 Shoulder Plate in Hand.jpg

At this point, fellow Tnetters, my head started swimming. I totally forgot the fact that it was 6pm and I'd only had two pieces of toast for breakfast...and that I was covered with ticks. Nothing else mattered. Nothing. The finds kept coming up for the other two folks while I sat and stared at the buckle collection I'd amassed during the afternoon. I was speechless.

4-17-08 All Buckles Dirty.jpg

Then at the closing bell, Rodeo found yet ANOTHER buckle! It's a plain lead-backed Shoulder Plate! This one has the same attachment marks on the back as the Eagle Shoulder Plate. We're wondering if it was a Confederate Plate taken as a souvenir. INCREDIBLE. Here's the reverse of these two (cleaned up). Federal-issued Eagle Plate is on the right.

4-17-08 Two Shoulder Plates Reverse.jpg

I've NEVER had as good of a day at a CW site (campsite, picket post or anywhere!). This hunt was a lesson in the Power of Research. I'm still in a state of disbelief... And still cleaning finds. The hunting doesn't end until dark for us. Every hunt. Then the drive home. Then the cleaning, photographs, and identification begin. It's part of the reason I can't seem to get a post up before 2 a.m. ::) But in my reply immediately below are a few more photos--a sample of some of the cleaned finds (including a really cool two-piece pheasant button that Rodeo recovered, a nice, hallmarked pewter spoon handle and thimble from Recon's Girl, and a silver spoon bowl and suspender clip (patented July 2d 1867) that I nabbed...

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The GREATEST hunt of my life: Iron Brigade's THREE BUCKLE DAY

4-17-08 Sample of Finds.jpg

And here are all the Civil War finds from today:

4-17-08 Three Buckles Cleaned Button Too.jpg

A special thank you to Rodeo and Rodeo's Girl for going hunting with me today. I am SO thankful for EVERY member of the Iron Brigade, and I really enjoyed our frienship and fellowship out there today. We deserve a hunt like this. Congratulations to you both.

Here are the updated, better quality photos of my two buckles: (See my two UPDATES in my Reply #40 below)

Plate Close-Up.jpg

Plate Close-Up 001.jpg

Regards,

Buckleboy

Tim (PA)

Oct 26, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
XLT

A relic hunter's dream come true! Congrats!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DAM BUCK!!! WHAT MORE CAN I SAY...I AM PRETTY SPEECHLESS. What a 'top of the world' hunt :o :o I will post more tomorrow when I can see them better as it is late! Looks like you hit on a near virgin spot there!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

get some sleep
BB
and banner bump

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EDDE said:
get some sleep
BB
and banner bump

LOL I can't sleep--too much adrenaline. (Fingers crossed on the banner...)

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

That has to be the best looking dug eagle plate I have ever seen. Great job, I can't wait to see them all cleaned up.

Definately banner finds.

Charlie

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett

savant365 said:
That has to be the best looking dug eagle plate I have ever seen. Great job, I can't wait to see them all cleaned up.

Definately banner finds.

Charlie

:o

I'll second that! Great post with great pics. Thanks!

HH
cmhoose

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon

OH MY!!!!! :o

You all had a heck of a day, and you BB, you were on cloud 10!!!!!! Awesome finds indeed. Now get back out there and show us more jaw-dropping finds ;D

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Way to go Those are some awesome buckles
Dman

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BB,
I can almost feel your excitement. What a fantastic day! :thumbsup: Chance of a lifetime finds for sure. Way to go. I loved the post.
Looking forward to seeing what else you guys and gals find.
Congrats,
MM

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey BB,
Awesome finds, Congrats on a great hunt. The plate you found is beautiful, in great shape wtg :thumbsup:
Be nice to see the plate cleaned up a little more and.............ON THE BANNER!! :hello2:
Glenn

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Many congrats on a fantastic day in the fields Bucky! We are happy to have such a great hunter as part of the Tnet Team....You did us all proud...I am a firm believer in research and you all proved it again today...Banner.... Banner..... Banner

boodydarn

Mar 26, 2008
Auburn., Al
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Bandit, Garrett Ace 250, DFX

Congratulations on a great find. How did you clean the buckle?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boodydarn said:
Congratulations on a great find. How did you clean the buckle?

Soft toothbrush and water. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Done, proves they are still out there for the taking. :thumbsup:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a hunt is we all could only dream about, in fact I have, amazing!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Congratulations for making BANNER...Job well done!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW, you are certainly living up to your screen name. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread