Found a pocket book....216 years old! APPRAISAL!

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really enjoyed your post! That find is museum quality in my opinion- have you researched just who this gentleman is? Your local town hall should give you a solid start. I cant wait for your updates!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be able to have an old house to go through at will like that would be amazing! I'd be using a fine tooth comb over every inch, not just to find stuff, but to take a good long look at the architecture and craftsmanship, to think of who lived there before and what they were like etc. The paperwork is cool, but the furniture and house would be the treasure for me.

Anyway, does anyone know the end of story?

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It appears to be in incredibly good condition. What a find!

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm almost speachless! I've spent my whole life trying to find something like that and BOOM, there it is! Awesome find and I too vote BANNER.

Edit: Well, now I feel goofy. Just noticed the age of the original post. lol Well, congrats on the BANNER, and it truly is an awesome find.

Last edited:

hayfield47

Greenie
Aug 22, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Castigation would be to chide someone vehmently, Palliate probably is palpitate, Life is a cheap prize for a worm means that he realizes that his life is cheap in the end and if he dies, it would be a prize for the worms when he is buried.

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner! One of the most amzing finds that I have seen on Tnet! Wow ,history coming to life!

I agree ..BANNER! Although the cw bullets and old coins are cool,A written song from 17**? Thats awesome.:hello2:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is simply to cool for words!!!!! Preserve it somehow or loan to the smithsonian WTG!!!!!!!!!!

elemerica

Jan 26, 2010
Bellingham, MA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting find; my mother-in-laws maiden name is Blaney and we live not far away (Worcester county in MA). I'll have to ask about family history as I only know her parents names, nothing beyond.

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Mojjax,
Haven't read anything here about the desk. From the looks of it, there could be some serious money just selling that desk. It looks very old and many just love to
redo old things like that and pay good money for the chance. Just a thought. Remember the saying "One Mans Trash - Another Mans Treasure".

Golden Nugget

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2013
Baltimore Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you! What a find. You have also helped me a great deal. My father died just a two short weeks ago at 86 years of age. I now own his home. It is filled with all sorts of wonderful things and trash. The Dining room and Master Bedroom furniture was made by two Craftmen from Boston around 1860. There is a CW era rocking chair stashed in the cellar. My Mom used to rock us kids to sleep in that chair! It was made in PA around 1864 or so. There are also three small tables. I know two of them are from England. They are wonderful to look at. I'd say that they were made around 1890 to 1920. The third one is from France. I have no idea of a date on this piece. Mom aways called it the Harp table because it has a Harp like thing built into it just above its legs. Now reading about your fine desk find I remembered that my Mom had a upright CW desk that she called a "Secretary." She bought it when she was a young girl for $5 dollars. Its very ornate for its period. It has a small hand made mirror in its top as well as two shelves for small books in it bottom. The drop open front is solid wood hanging on brass hinges and arms. Just below this is one drawer. I didn't remember seeing it when I was in his place to get his Will. Just took a quick run over to his place and I found it! He has it stashed on the side porch. It is a fully enclosed porch but there isn't any heat out there. I hope all the horse glue joints didn't break apart. There are also many artifacts from the Civil War, The War of 1812, and WWII in his home. I just have to find them. All this stuff isn't "treasure" like you guys find but to me this stuff is priceless.

Last edited:

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking forward to hearing some updates about this. Is there any new info?

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find
congrats.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread