Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Found a pocket book....216 years old! APPRAISAL!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2007
    3 times

Re: Found a pocket book....216 years old! APPRAISAL!

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out who his high end bidder at the museum is. Make a call.

My local auction house has a 12% buyers premium. That of course means 12% of what the bidder offers goes to the auction house.

Maybe you could cut out the middle man. Make yourself and the buyer happy in a private sale.

Or hang on to it. If it's really historical you might be surprised who ends up contacting you.

Thinking on that, stash it somewhere safe where it won't deteriorate and any papers won't fade or get moldy etc.

Good luck,
    Tricia

us
    Feb 2007
    New York State..Vestal, NY
    Fischer CZ-3D

Man that is Wild! Keep us informed of how this develops please.
    Dig It, Done It, Love It..Man I love this Hobby with a Passion.

Jul 2005
    Findlay Ohio
    Whites M6

Truly and amazing find, I like the pocket book, song and letter, but those desks are simply AMAZING!!! If I had found those, no amount of "field work" would get done.
    What am I doing so far away from my Civil War relics?

Mar 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250

I'd keep it safe somewhere and never sell, at least not for $500-$1000. It is way too cool to just have that in your possession. Then again, I've been broke many times and had to sell some 'cool' things that I probably shouldn't have.

us
    You found what?

Aug 2007
    Southeast Michigan (Roseville)
    Bounty Hunter > Sharp Shooter II & Fast Tracker
    48 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

All I can say is.........WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NGE
    us
    May 2008
    S.E. Michigan
    Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
    76 times
    metal detecting, fishing, photography

.................... SPEACHLESS!
    Exposure to the Son prevents burning

Jun 2008
    central mn
    Bounty Hunter Land Star

Im just speechless. An AMAZING FIND MAN WTG!

ca
    Mar 2006
    Canadian East Coast

Wow! this is the most interesting thread I've read in a long time!
    One ship sails east, the other sails west by the self-same wind that blows. It's the rig of the sails and not the gails that determines which way she goes.

GL
    us
    Mar 2008
    South Central, NC
    14 times

On to the desk now. Whats up with it? Did you ever get to see the back? Are there any tags or labels or marks on the underside that might lend provenance? I'm dyin here!

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac
    565 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I dont know how I"ve missed this story but it is absolutely incredible!!! What a cool find for sure and some nice pieces of furniture also. congratulations!!!
    Debby

Jun 2007
    Rhode island
    None yet

Wow, talk about incrediable shape.

us
    Jun 2008
    Waverly Hall, GA

Check out Christies or Sotheby's past auctions on furniture and ephemera from this time period and you will be shocked beyond belief. Me thinks you may be very wealthy. Do not try to clean or alter any of these things in any way. Bring in the experts. Contact Sotheby's and/or Christies. Also the Keenon(spelling?) brothers may help with the furniture. From what I could see in the pics this is some of the best I've seen and I've been in the antiques/furniture restoration & construction/paper/ephemera business for a number of years. A friend of a friend found a game table from this period at an estate auction, paid around $1600 for it....it fetched, I think, $1.2 million at auction.
    Everyone in my business dreams of such a find. Man, all i can say is WOW!!! What a find!
    BTW, if you need any help with this, I have a very good friend in Sandwich,Mass., very honest and very intelligent, and knows this stuff well. If he can't ID it, he could definitely point you in the right direction. What ever you decide to do...Good Luck!

us
    Jun 2008
    Waverly Hall, GA

BTW, you may already know this but, a couple of other places to check in the house are the doors(I'd heard of people drilling holes into the tops and dropping coins in then plugging the holes) and door hardware can be worth a good bit too, some knobs into the thousands. Also check the typically cast iron window weights(I've heard of these being replaced with melted down silver).
    Also, wide boards(over say 14-18", wider the better), especially pine, are worth a premium, I even buy these and any architectural items, columns, moldings, built in cabinets, etc. I build "new" very large furniture from reclaimed lumber and arch. items. Again Good Luck, and can't wait to hear more about this spectacular find.

Thanks for playing. You lose.

Aug 2006
    smAlbany, NY
    DFX
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by KTMRIDER
    BTW, you may already know this but, a couple of other places to check in the house are the doors(I'd heard of people drilling holes into the tops and dropping coins in then plugging the holes) and door hardware can be worth a good bit too, some knobs into the thousands. Also check the typically cast iron window weights(I've heard of these being replaced with melted down silver).
    Also, wide boards(over say 14-18", wider the better), especially pine, are worth a premium, I even buy these and any architectural items, columns, moldings, built in cabinets, etc. I build "new" very large furniture from reclaimed lumber and arch. items. Again Good Luck, and can't wait to hear more about this spectacular find.
    Well if we are talking tear the house down here (which I doubt, but if he did he could probably make more than the property value in materials) you can also get a real pretty penny for the main support beams, especially if they are made from hard woods that aren't legal to log anymore or are just not abundant enough.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

Charter Member
    us
    Sharing the culture, history and adventure of the American Southwest.

Jun 2006
    Banning, California
    ace 250
    31 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I would think finding a museum to put them on display with some pictures of the house and how you found them would be GREAT !!!! Maybe a museum with early American ties. Oh and they also will pay you a " rental " fee to show the items. Could possibly make some extra cash for a looong time. I for one would like to see them up close.

PLL

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors