Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Found a pocket book....216 years old! APPRAISAL!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2010
    Bellingham, MA
    Garrett AT Pro
    1 times
    Very interesting find; my mother-in-laws maiden name is Blaney and we live not far away (Worcester county in MA). I'll have to ask about family history as I only know her parents names, nothing beyond.
    H-2 CHARLIE likes this.

us
    Fairburn Agate hunter & Metal Detectorist

Jul 2011
    Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Strictly Garrett
    10 times
    Mojjax,
    Haven't read anything here about the desk. From the looks of it, there could be some serious money just selling that desk. It looks very old and many just love to
    redo old things like that and pay good money for the chance. Just a thought. Remember the saying "One Mans Trash - Another Mans Treasure".

us
    Feb 2013
    Baltimore Maryland
    None
    Prospecting
    Thank you! What a find. You have also helped me a great deal. My father died just a two short weeks ago at 86 years of age. I now own his home. It is filled with all sorts of wonderful things and trash. The Dining room and Master Bedroom furniture was made by two Craftmen from Boston around 1860. There is a CW era rocking chair stashed in the cellar. My Mom used to rock us kids to sleep in that chair! It was made in PA around 1864 or so. There are also three small tables. I know two of them are from England. They are wonderful to look at. I'd say that they were made around 1890 to 1920. The third one is from France. I have no idea of a date on this piece. Mom aways called it the Harp table because it has a Harp like thing built into it just above its legs. Now reading about your fine desk find I remembered that my Mom had a upright CW desk that she called a "Secretary." She bought it when she was a young girl for $5 dollars. Its very ornate for its period. It has a small hand made mirror in its top as well as two shelves for small books in it bottom. The drop open front is solid wood hanging on brass hinges and arms. Just below this is one drawer. I didn't remember seeing it when I was in his place to get his Will. Just took a quick run over to his place and I found it! He has it stashed on the side porch. It is a fully enclosed porch but there isn't any heat out there. I hope all the horse glue joints didn't break apart. There are also many artifacts from the Civil War, The War of 1812, and WWII in his home. I just have to find them. All this stuff isn't "treasure" like you guys find but to me this stuff is priceless.
    Last edited by Golden Nugget; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:12 AM.

us
    May 2012
    Texas
    257 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I was looking forward to hearing some updates about this. Is there any new info?
    MichiganMan likes this.

Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    2355 times
    Nice find
    One third jewelry of the World are under sand so far
    Finds2016
    Coins usables=800
    Silver= 8 pieces
    Gold= 2 Rings

us
    "Diggin with Kap" on Youtube!

Sep 2013
    Downtown Lehman
    minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
    822 times
    Metal Detecting
    I find this so intriguing I'm sure it brings you right back to that time in history.
    "You can observe a lot by just watching."-Yogi Berra

Jul 2014
    173 times
    Not trying to bring up ancient history, but I just read through this entire thread and it's absolutely insane!!! Soooo amazing!!! I have to know if there are any updates or anything to this story. Does the OP still post on TNet?? Wow wow wow that's incredible! !!

us
    Jun 2008
    Kalamazoo County, Michigan
    A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
    160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Dog View Post
    You know some Gorilla glue would prolly fix that grave stone right up. Might be a nice thing to do !
    No, you do not use "Gorilla glue" to "fix" a headstone.

au
    Oct 2013
    Brisbane
    3 times
    Relic Hunting
    holy cow this is cool!

Jul 2012
    Wow I can't even imagine having that much history on my property! I thought that living on an old homestead from the 1860's was fantastic! We haven't found anything that even comes close!!! Congratulations on your historical find! That desk is absolutely amazing!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links