Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "1t----B ARTILLERY No. 53 What is this? - SOLVED

Kinda wierd. It was the ONLY Revolutionary War find, (except the Wash. buttons). Thought it might make the front cover. Hopefully I can find the guy it belonged to. Have Narrowed it down to 2 Companies. The 5th and the 8th. Commanded by Capt. John Carter and Major Griffith Williams, respectively. Now I have to obtain muster rolls, and or, paylists of these 2 companies to find out who man #53 was. :thumbsup: I put that there are only 2 Royal Artillery Cartridge Boxes known from this period. One in the Charleston S. C. Museum and the other in the Royal Artillery Museum in Woolwich England. The one I have would be the only tip of a cartridge box known to Gen. Burgoynes Northern Army but it was never mentioned in the article. I thought this was an important fact people might want to know about. Along with the fact that this particular relic, can actually be traced back to a specific soldier it was issued to. I DUNNO? :icon_scratch: I'm working on it though. It will make a great story if I actually pinpoint the guy and find out what battles he actually participated in though.....won't it?! Was a nice article though. I'm glad I made the Best Finds of 2008! Now to find the other tip and the BOX PLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread