The Ice Man - Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer, Philip Carlo

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my union that I "retired' from was SEAFARERS INTERNATIONAL UNION (SIU) -- our headquarters for many many years was 675 fourth ave. brooklyn , ny -- :hello:

yep those SIU guys that whipped the teamsters butts in 1968 in chicago * ( MY OLD MAN WAS ONE OF THE SIU CREW SENT TO DEAL WITH EM) --you know "THE TEAMSTERS" the boogyman of the mob guys --ohh don't mess with the teamsters -- well they were tough but nothing like the total nut jobs and utterly ruthless sob's that the SIU "cherry picked" from all over the nation and sent to chicago to sort em out -- the SIU guys were known as "THE GOON SQUAD"

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
ivan salis said:
my union that I "retired' from was SEAFARERS INTERNATIONAL UNION (SIU) -- our headquarters for many many years was 675 fourth ave. brooklyn , ny -- :hello:

yep those SIU guys that whipped the teamsters butts in 1968 in chicago * ( MY OLD MAN WAS ONE OF THE SIU CREW SENT TO DEAL WITH EM) --you know "THE TEAMSTERS" the boogyman of the mob guys --ohh don't mess with the teamsters -- well they were tough but nothing like the total nut jobs and utterly ruthless sob's that the SIU "cherry picked" from all over the nation and sent to chicago to sort em out -- the SIU guys were known as "THE GOON SQUAD"
;D Know exactly what you are saying . 20+yrs UMW from 1968 on . NO QUARTER meant exactly that with us . :dontknow:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
several folks on both sides in the 1968 - the teamster / siu chicago cabbie organization/ takeover fight came up "mia"-- by it was a lot more of the teamsters than than siu when the dust settled at the end -- my old man was siu back in those days -- I did not "join up' with the SIU till 1980

yah united mine workers were no one to screw with either. :angry5:

funny thing my mom's family were all coal miners * my grandpa moms side worked at the olga coal mine if I recall correctly

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks too confusing to make out who, what where and when :laughing7:

To be released in 2013 :icon_scratch: I guess Hollywood hasn't read the Mayan script yet :tongue3:

It can be no where near as good as the book, but I'll be there with bells on :thumbsup:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should be a good movie, but there is no way it can even scratch the surface of the book.

This book is another true page turner, not unlike Dan Browns Da Vinci Code. If you enjoying reading about true crime, mafia, etc. Just add this to your collection, you won't regret it. I would also think that living in NY/NJ for all my life helped, as I was easily able to remember many of the events mentioned, and others that just surprised me.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
spartacus53 said:
Maybe I can see Mickey Rouke, but they may be best off with an unknown, or better yet as NJDigger mentioned the guy who played leather face in Tx Chainsaw Masc. This guy was huge, and scary to say the least.

Indeed the interviews were chilling, especially when he gnashed his teeth together.

Yes, he died in prison and it is believed to have been a hit. I would tell you who placed the hit, but I think you may enjoy reading about it yourself and make up your own mind. I think there is a good possibility that it happened the way the book mentioned, made sense to me.

I knew this scum bag. Don't ask me how. Trust me he's was a average criminal as far as every day living. Was he a nut? Hell yes he was. Would I want to read a book or see a movie about kuklinski? No not unless he were writing it himself otherwise it's just fiction. I'll just go see batman.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The author spent nearly 240 hours with Richard to get this story, so it's not hearsay :headbang:

I can say it was a riveting read, from beginning to end.. Scary too

I give it :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
spartacus53 said:
The author spent nearly 240 hours with Richard to get this story, so it's not hearsay :headbang:

I can say it was a riveting read, from beginning to end.. Scary too

I give it :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

I would not believe he spent that much time with him. The guy was in prison a long time until he died there. Most prison visit are under two hours. They don't let just anyone come in for a visit when every they want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it is believed that he was murdered, poisoned by a crony of Sammy the Bull... I don't know if you ever saw the multi-part documentary on the Iceman, I believed it aired on A&E. There are several more detailed insights to most of those stories. The size of him alone would send chills down my spine for sure. He looked every bit the brute.

As far as the time spent, I believe that something could be worked out for visits. I don't know the span of those visits either.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
spartacus53 said:
Actually, it is believed that he was murdered, poisoned by a crony of Sammy the Bull... I don't know if you ever saw the multi-part documentary on the Iceman, I believed it aired on A&E. There are several more detailed insights to most of those stories. The size of him alone would send chills down my spine for sure. He looked every bit the brute.

As far as the time spent, I believe that something could be worked out for visits. I don't know the span of those visits either.

Well if he did not feel like killing you or was not paid to, he seemed like a normal every day guy. Now his brother, that's another story.

Last edited:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, I try to avoid the sections that are inhabited by families that are a throwback to the likes of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Trust me, there really are some areas like that down here :laughing7:

Sorry to bust up everyone's idea of the woods in South Jersey (Pine Barrens to you city folk : ) Lived here my whole life. The "natives" are the least of your worries out here. Now sugar sand, bikers, satanists and wild dog packs-they're a whole other story. As a teenager, I used to take people out there at night and scare the hell out of them with stories-it's a hobby of people who grew up around here : ) Also, the old "inbred" tales don't hold water any more as civilization has taken over. But now you people who grew up in the city? You are the brave ones to me. The city scares the crap outta me : )

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But now you people who grew up in the city? You are the brave ones to me. The city scares the crap outta me : )

I grew up in the Bronx, when it got it's name Fort Apache and at that age you just didn't know any other world :laughing7:

Just south of me was "Fort Apache" and I would always visit my friends there without thinking about it, then again, I was a kid :laughing7: A few blocks to the north was another world, that of the underworld, where the mob ruled with an iron fist. In my later life when living in Brooklyn I wasn't too far from Gotti and the much feared Roy DeMeo crew :tongue3:

During my stint in the Bronx I know of 2 people and one was a friend that did the Houdini... You just don't try and cross some people, lesson learned, no schooling needed. :laughing7:

By the way, it looks like there may be 2 films about the Iceman very soon

The Iceman is still a great book to read :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread