spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having grown up in NYC you do get to meet plenty of interesting people, thank god I never had the pleasure of meeting Richard Kuklinski. Peering into his life was one of the most frightening adventures you can take in a book. One wrong look at him, could be your last day on earth. They also have a documentary that aired on HBO and A&E that you can see, but it is a Disney movie next to the book. He talks about making hits the way you would sip a cup of coffee, simply bone chilling..

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only guess on that is that the are waiting for the family to agree to it. His kids must be in their 30-40's by now. But it would make Goodfellas look like a comedy.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you some stories Spartacus :laughing7: I grew up in Canarsie, Brooklyn. Google "Canarsie mafia" and see what comes up :thumbsup:

Anyways, the neighborhood I grew up in was the stomping grounds of the Demeo crew. Led by one Roy Demeo. A sick, sadistic maniac. The iceman worked for Roy. They in turn were under the Gambino's, who pretty much controlled our hood.

About 5 minutes from my childhood house was a bar called the Gemini Lounge. It was a regular neighborhood bar by day, but, you didn't want to walk in there at the wrong time :help: That bar was the iceman's "office".

When you mentioned the book, it brought back a LOT of memories. All of the guys in that book that the iceman worked for were my neighbors. Believe it or not, Canarsie was a GREAT neighborhood up until the late 90's. One of the main reasons was, the "boys" kept the nabe clean. THEY were the ones that sorted everything out. Not the coppers. I used to play in the junkyards of Brooklyn. Lotta bodies are in there. Of course, as a kid I didn't know that. They were my playgrounds.

I even remember the day Patty Testa was killed - he was a part of the Demeo gang (big into stolen cars) - our whole town was shocked. Sadly (but not surprisingly), most of the guys from the old neighborhood are now either dead, incarcerated or have nasty substance abuse problems.

I made it out though. As did a few others :icon_sunny:

As awful as some of the people were in their "jobs", I knew them as friends and neighbors. It was a special time for a kid to grow up in Brooklyn. If you liked that book, I can recommend a few more for you :thumbsup:

P.S. - The Gemini Lounge is now a Baptist Church of all places :tongue3: Up until last year, I worked about a mile from there.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me, I had my share of these friends too, I at one point didn't live far from Canarsie either. I stayed by Ave L so I do know the area. I also hung out in Sheep's Bay and can tell you stories about the Golden Motel. The family of one of the girls I worked with in the 70's also hid Legs Diamond for 2 weeks. I was born in Brooklyn, moved at the age of 5 to the Bronx and was there for 13 years, returned to Brooklyn in the early 80's. When I lived in SI my landlord was a knock around guy, always coming by my apartment to sell me swag. Believe it or not the Bronx had some heavy hitter's too. I was about a mile away from "Little Italy". In my mid 20's I was also with a lot of hoods in the NY night clubs and got free passes to all the bars under their control.

I think we could swap stories for a long time their buddy :icon_thumleft: They were some really interesting days, and people for sure. The one thing that I remember most, is how quick they turned from a regular guy to a nut job. My stories from the city will make you pee your pants, with some of their antics. One quick story we were by a club on 57th just off park. I was with this one fruit loops that decided to take his ax out and cut down one of the potted trees on Park Ave at 4:30am. But it was great to know they had your back if there was any trouble.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geesh Spart, we gotta go detecting sometime. We could probably talk for hours. I grew up on Remsen Avenue between L & M. A lot of my relatives still work over there. The Pagano's in the Brooklyn Terminal Market, the Serpico's, etc.

Most of my family is on Staten Island or Long Island though. Those were the times my friend. Randazzo's in Sheep's Head, Roll N' Roaster. Wish I was around for the old Pastel's :headbang:

I used to hang out at the Bamboo Lounge on Rockaway Parkway. And who can forget the crazy L Boys.

I gotta make a trip down by you one day :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my mom wordked for a nice "lil" family owned place in new orleans * -- carlos marcello of course "ran" new orleans --

like all wize guys they had their "spots" to hang out at and eat -- they played cards, drank grappa and wine ,and smoked cigars in the backrooms while waiting for the days take to be delivered
--they also had "cover" places that they owned to "wash" their funds thru so they had "legit" sources of income for the IRS if they check up on em -- like restaurants , bars, strip joints ,peep shows and places like that -- plus ( linen service places , game rental bussiness -- a sort of "protection" racket --use my services or else--- that "legit bars and restaurants" had to use or they might catch fire or have other "problem

by and large they squeezed "honest" folks --made them use their services --like linen service for their table cloths and put "their" juke boxes and games in their place of bussiness --for "protection" (from them mainly)-- of course of one was dumb enough to borrow money from them at loan shark 6 for 5 for a week rates (20%) or was idiot enough to gamble with them and lose (thus going on the "hook" see loan sharking (20%) vig per week for money owed ) god help you --pay pay pay or else -- get stupid -- threaten to go to the cops -- you could get whacked.-- they had no problems with whacking folks if you got outta line.

they would do contract hits and had the cops firmly in their grip.-- they owned the cops in new orleans --the mob and cops were hand in glove.

petty street crimes and selling dope to kids was frowned upon by the mobsters (O D ed kids drew too much police attn ), selling to adults was a differant matter but not to "stupid" kids

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not a problem, I will have to get in touch with Pinebarrens and I know he has areas to hunt. I really don't go detecting much, just too lazy so i don't know the spots. I am sure we can work something out when it gets a little cooler.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jesus christ spart, first, you're talking about the iceman and now you want to take me out to the pine barrens. Should I be worried??? :laughing7:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
Jesus christ spart, first, you're talking about the iceman and now you want to take me out to the pine barrens. Should I be worried??? :laughing7:

Nah, I try to avoid the sections that are inhabited by families that are a throwback to the likes of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Trust me, there really are some areas like that down here :laughing7:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is my FAVORITE horror flick of all time. The best. Period. When you watch it, it's almost as if one is watching a documentary because of the grainy 70's film they used to have. Also, it was made by a first time director (Tobe Hooper) with no money. That's a good thing. Because you have to get CREATIVE at figuring things out on the film versus throwing cash at the problems.

Most eerie part of the whole film...

When the hot girl walks into the house and starts looking around. When you see that meat locker door slide open, wooh, send chills down my spine just thinking about it.

I've seen that movie MANY times. I actually went to one of those horror conventions in NYC years ago and the guy that played leatherface was there. Got to talk to him for a few minutes. VERY nice man. Huge. Probably 6'5'' or 6'6''. A real bear. Anyways, he couldn't have been more different than what you'd expect. He lives in Maine and writes novels now. He's also a big fisherman who enjoys a quiet, peaceful lifestyle. Said the recognition of the movie has mostly been a pain for him. Interesting guy. Real name is Gunnar Hanson.

Yeah, I'm sure there are places like that in the Barrens spart. That place is huge. Some real "hicks" living out in those parts. They could make the Amish look like the Jetsons due to the way they live :laughing7:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an interesting tidbit for you. Both "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", and "Psycho" were based on the same man.. name him :laughing7: I read one great book about him too :headbang:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrocute said:
Ed Gein, iirc. The dude was crazy.

Indeed he was, I couldn't put the book down.. And to look at him you would never think he did, what he did. That crazy little pipsqueak

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a special that comes on about him every now and then. Very Fascinating. They say after his mother died he went off the deep end. He had some issues, ya think? :laughing7:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
There's a special that comes on about him every now and then. Very Fascinating. They say after his mother died he went off the deep end. He had some issues, ya think? :laughing7:

You really need to read the book. I am trying to find another copy now I let someone borrow it, and I can't remember who now.. that was several years ago, so I want to replace ti. Great reading

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I have watched the Ice Man interviews on youtube .Chilling to say the least. I did not know that he had a book out. I will have to look for it. I think in died in prison a few years back.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
homestake said:
Supposedly there are two movie productions in the works filming a 'Iceman' flick. One with Mickey Rourke and one with Michael Shannon as the lead actor.

Maybe I can see Mickey Rouke, but they may be best off with an unknown, or better yet as NJDigger mentioned the guy who played leather face in Tx Chainsaw Masc. This guy was huge, and scary to say the least.

birdman said:
Yea I have watched the Ice Man interviews on youtube .Chilling to say the least. I did not know that he had a book out. I will have to look for it. I think in died in prison a few years back.

Indeed the interviews were chilling, especially when he gnashed his teeth together.

Yes, he died in prison and it is believed to have been a hit. I would tell you who placed the hit, but I think you may enjoy reading about it yourself and make up your own mind. I think there is a good possibility that it happened the way the book mentioned, made sense to me.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got this book downloaded on my Kindle last night.

Holy cow you weren't kidding.

Can't hardly put it down.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
I got this book downloaded on my Kindle last night.

Holy cow you weren't kidding.

Can't hardly put it down.

Thanks, I appreciate that :icon_thumleft: After all, I'm normally known as a jokester. This is one book that is riveting from cover to cover, you almost have the feeling of looking over his shoulder too. There are several incidents that I remember like yesterday, from reading about the events when they happened.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that the powers in Hollywood are finally going to make a movie about him.

For those who can't read, for whatever reason, poor sight, laziness, etc... They will be bringing this to the big screen for your enjoyment. Grab the largest bucket of :happy1: for this bad boy :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread