Great Southern Novels

Adventure Wolf

Mar 28, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discover
MY family is from the South, so I read a lot of the novels from southern writers. I think the best southern writer is Truman Capote. His book In Cold Blood is one of the best written works I have ever read. Thomas Wolf is second with Look Homeward Angel. Harper Lee is third with To Kill a Mockingbird.

Does anyone else like southern literature other then me?

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Faulkner and James Dickey of "Deliverance" fame. The book Deliverance is pure literature if you like beautiful sentencing and description. Dickey was a poet first and then a novelist. It shows even when depicting vile acts of sodomy as he does in the book. Saw this book placed in a list of top 100 novels ever written in the world. If you have only seen the movie you've not really seen Deliverance.

OT

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, I like them all. The titles you mentioned should be on a mandatory reading list at our higher education schools. Monty

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of my family is from the south also and I love southern writers. Erskine Caldwell is probably my favorite. He and Twain capture the southern humor better than any writer I have had the pleasure of reading. If you have not had the chance to read Caldwell check out Tobacco Road and then Gods Little Acre. I am enjoing Mark Twains autobiography which I got for Christmas. Incidentally, did you know that Capote and Harper Lee were neighbors while growing up and that Capote was Dill in To Kill A Mockingbird? Happy Reading.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this already and just saw this post. I would have posted it here because it fits in perfect:thumbsup:

Ferrol Sams wrote Run with the Horsemen (1982), The Whisper of the River (1985), When All the World Was Young (1992).

"The trilogy features Porter Osborne, Jr., a character who appears to be largely based on Sams himself. Sams's writing drew heavily on southern storytelling tradition.
Sams's works of fiction developed from the act of writing his own memoirs of growing up in rural Fayette County, Georgia, for his posterity. His works are generally set during the Depression and feature several eccentric characters."

Maybe I really enjoyed these books because I'm pushing 70 (Jesus, where did the years go ), but one thing I can say is I couldn't put the books down. Do yourself a favor and go to the library and get "Run With the Horseman" and I'm willing to bet you will be checking out the other two books soon after you finish the first one. I even located and bought some hardback first editions. I read these books at least once a year when I need to laugh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions