Stephen King

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know, I know, it's my guilty secret, I love to read Stephen King above all others including the classics. I really like his end of civilization books. Do any of you have a favorite book that is about the same genre? His books The Cell, The Stand, The Gunslinger series, and the story The Mist are my most dog-eared items but I would like to read more of the same type of story by other authors.

GeorgiaFlutterby

Aug 6, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have been a Stephen King Fan for years and years...I think I have read just about everything he has ever written. I loved The Cell but I guess my favorite was and is The Stand. I haven't really found an author I like as well, although I have read some fairly good books. I like Dean Koontz pretty well, but it is a different style or horror. I too would like to know if there are any other books out there that are as good as King's. Great Post.

Georgiaflutterby

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It or maybe Tommyknockers.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as his books made into movies, I'd go with Stand By Me. (Based on a true story).

Mike

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love King as well. I'm reading his Four Past Midnight collective book right now which includes The Langoliers, Secret Window Secret Garden, The Library Policeman, and The Sun Dog. Have you ever read any of Robert McCammon's (sp?) books? Swang Song is a great classic by him as well as Boy's Life. Check 'em out. I like a lot of Dean Koontz' stuff as well.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love King's older books- Salem's Lot scared me big time. Lately I read Bag of Bones and thought that was a bit more like his older books.

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
I thought the stand was his best work until I started reading the Gunslinger series. The way it pulls together everything he has written (well almost everything I don't recall any reference to Danse Macabre) is incredible. I have read other authors but none have riveted me like King can!
Troy

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bomber, no way! How did you find that out and when is it due out? I'll be lining up a sitter a month in advance for that one. I collect his vhs movies but I'll buy dvd if I have to. I love Kingdom Hospital. I should meet him someday. Dreamcatcher is another fave because of the way everyone thought the boy who was actually an alien just had some mental problems, watch out for mister grey! Thanks for all the posts guys!

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure where,it might have been"zap2it",hope they do a good job,his books don't translate to well into movies,also read they might be doing the gunslinger series for cable(still trying to choke down that ending)

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Gunslinger ending almost killed me. I've been reading the King since I was 11 or 12 (about 20 years) and I read them over and over. I'm still brooding about that set of books because of that ending. :D I would recommend anyone who is going to watch an sk movie to read the book first, they are so rich.

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
I love Stephen King too! I also like Dean Koontz, but another favorite of mine is John Saul. I'm reading one right now called The Manhatten Hunt Club. It's pretty good if you like psychological thrillers.

vicki

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
Yeah the ending was tough almost like he (king) gave up. What a journey though!

boggle

Apr 7, 2007
Fairfax, VERMONT
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
Robert McCannon's Swan Song is to me, on par or better than the stand, I am also a big fan of those end of world survivor type stories. I cant recall them right now though, but ill dig threw my library and see if i can come up with the others. But definitely read Swan song and i highly recommend boys life. Also Wolf and Iron by Gordon R Dickson is about a young man and his pet wolf after the crash of civilization. A great read. ;D

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
swan song rocked,wolfs hour was one of my favorites,reread that one a few times,check out one called Lucifers Hammer

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Montana Jim said:
His older short story collections were best...
Gotta agree to this one, have you read The Bachman Books? Rage; easily one of his better early works.

I've actually vacationed in Maine and made a special trip to Bangor to see his house. Beautiful home, especially covered in snow in the middle of January. I even have 4 King-inspired tattoos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread