Blood Meridian

OP
OP
tapoutking

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Well considering the Judge was a pedophile I am guessing that he tried to or did rape the kid and killed him. When I read the ending thats what I thought happened.

It was exceptionally violent and I am guessing that it was a pretty accurate account of what living in those times was like. People like to romanticize those times but the reality is that is was a very violent time especialy for the people living on the fringe.

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
I've read several of McCarthy's works including all of the Border series.

The Road, I thought was ok, but not Pulitzer material.

Blood Meridian was just amazingly graphic and the heady dialogue by the Judge was a little trite.

All The Pretty Horses was very well done, the movie didn't do it justice but very entertaining.

The best of the group in my opinion was The Crossing, it too had some bizarre side stories but the quest by the brothers was very thought provoking, the ending left me wanting more.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
tok, No Country was good, but it's got the improbable stuff in it...

For the moral of the story, A Simple Plan, with Bill Paxton is better, and more realistic.

If you just want to watch gratuitous druggie shootemups, Smokin Aces and Crank are plenty of action.
Just watched Denzel Washington in American Gangster. It was believable. 'Good' flick...

'Yer better off detecting!
rmptr

mapo

Dec 27, 2008
Tacoma, Wa.
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Look forward to reading this as I have read the road,no country, and the border trilogy. All of these were loaners so as a side bar and relevent to T-Net, I just bought the border trilogy off Craigslist in hardcovers(excellent shape) for 6 dollars! All 3! I thought they were worthy of a bookcase and plan to collect all of his work. Big fan. Maybe one day he will floor us all and end a book on a positive note??

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
"mapo
Maybe one day he will floor us all and end a book on a positive note??"

Ha! Ha!

I could cut my Prozac dose? ;D

...I got away from reading so much gloom and doom on the internet for a couple days last week...
The kids had come home with a 5 volume VHS set of 'Alien'.
Whew!

At least we don't have inter-galactic bugs with binary acid blood trying to eat us all!
Yet.
;D

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finished Blood Meridian several weeks ago. At times, it was really graphic and several times I wanted to put it down stop altogether. I disagree with the thought of the Judge being a pedophile - I did not pick up on that from the story, but to each his own. If someone could point that out to me with reference(s), I would apprecaite that. It would throw that character in a whole new light for me. In the end, it was a very powerful book with several lessons and it was well written.

papajos

Feb 11, 2009
airborne1092 said:
I finished Blood Meridian several weeks ago. At times, it was really graphic and several times I wanted to put it down stop altogether. I disagree with the thought of the Judge being a pedophile - I did not pick up on that from the story, but to each his own. If someone could point that out to me with reference(s), I would apprecaite that. It would throw that character in a whole new light for me. In the end, it was a very powerful book with several lessons and it was well written.

Read this one on a backpacking trip in the Adirondacks. (about halfway through a black bear came by and tried to steal my pack, with my cigars)!, but he dropped it when I hollared at him :)

Anyhow, yes of course I think "the judge" was a pedophile.....when he was around kids they always turned up dead!!!!! My thoughts are he molested them and then killed them. That's not to say he wasn't an interesting character though.....albiet not someone I would EVER care to share MY camp with!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread