Worst movie adaptation ever

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Very unhappily in the US since early March by Covid, I do see a lot of old shows and movies on sub-channels. A few days ago, I saw an old John Wayne movie, the Shepherd of the HIlls I read that book many years ago, and it was okay. The movie was the worst interpretation of a book I have ever seen, Not one of the characters even vaguely resembled the original character in the book It was disgusting!

In the book Doc Howitt was the father of a young man who came to the mountains, and left the daughter of the family pregnant. In the Movie, Doc Howitt was the culprit who left the daughter pregnant. And, John Wayne was somehow his son, I think, and wanted to kill him. In the book, his family was of the highest moral code; In the movie they were low-lifes.

I gave it a big fat zero. Disgusting, I tell you, disgusting.

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
world war Z. the book was great, it was such a shame what they did to it in the movie, even the author was unhappy with the movie version of the book.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
world war Z. the book was great, it was such a shame what they did to it in the movie, even the author was unhappy with the movie version of the book.
Old thread but YES! They ruined that one. Great book but when you think about it, that book was never going to work as a movie… faux docuseries maybe 🤔

How about the Reacher movies with Tom Cruise? 5 foot nothing guy playing a 6’5” bad ass? Come on!

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
oh oh forgot the other book that was a great read (longest book i have ever read 1050 pages) but a horrible horrible movie......."Battlefield Earth". probably the worst role that John Travolta has ever had in already BAD movie.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
You need to try James Bond: most don't get anywhere close to the Ian Fleming book versions.

There is one that the only thing used from the book was the title, 'A View to a Kill'.

The original was about a Soviet Military Intelligence section in an a camouflage hide deep in a forest that would ambush motorcycle dispatch riders carrying orders to NATO HQ. Bond had to locate and raid the small bunker which was hidden under a bush. The title came from Bond having to hide in a tree for hours with a 'view' of the area and wait until they gave their location away (by putting up a small periscope to make sure their surrounds were clear).

It was turned into Christoper Walken blowing up the San Andreas fault to sink California and capitalise on the new seafront properties.

Last edited:

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You need to try James Bond: most don't get anywhere close to the Ian Fleming book versions.

There is one that the only thing used from the book was the title, 'A View to a Kill'.

The original was about a Soviet Military Intelligence section in an a camouflage hide deep in a forest that would ambush motorcycle dispatch riders carrying orders to NATO HQ. Bond had to locate and raid the small bunker which was hidden under a bush. The title came from Bond having to hide in a tree for hours with a 'view' of the area and wait until they gave their location away (by putting up a small periscope to make sure their surrounds were clear).

It was turned into Christoper Walken blowing up the San Andreas fault to sink California and capitalise on the new seafront properties.
agreed, i found an audiobook of "Goldfinger" did not recognize the story in the audiobook.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread