I.D. HELP APPRECIATED.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug from a dump today.

Have worked this dump over the years and never pulled a unbroken bottle from it. Have really given up on it, and the last few years just gave it a quick checkover as I was working areas near it.

Well got one today, about 6 inches down, upside down.
Area is an old amusement park, think it is too thin,(only and inch and a half dia.), for a milk bottle.

Period I am working is 1900 through 1940. Other items from area have matched these dates.

Only marking on bottle are on bottom; looks like a fancy A and a star.(the star is questionable).

Any help appreciated.

all have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Dano,
thanks for the info on that bottle site. Really good, and I am sure I will be spending some time there.

SWR,
thanks for the info., it fits the site I was working. Wonder if Chile peppers would have been at an amusement
park in the early 1900's? Cherry's could be something on an ice cream.

Will still be searching for the star and thingamajig, another task for when the weather turns this winter.

Again, thanks to both of you for your time and the info you supplied.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

goldther

Nov 30, 2004
il
Detector(s) used
fisher,minelab,fx,2-box
HI;
I have found this type bottle in the forest preserves in cook co. I've been told and believe they are olive jars. people used to picnic in the woods near the des-plaines river in the 20s and 30s and 40s.Hope this helps, Bob

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If the seams on each side come all the way to the top it is from an automatic bottlemaking machine. If the two seams fall short of reaching the top it is pre 1900 hand blown in a mold.
The smaller bottles have a better chance of surviving a dumpsite unbroken. I have a collection of minis for this reason and also because they take up less space in the closet. :D
Nice find.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find Sherman!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Came across an interesting,(for me), bit of information. (Perhaps someone else can use it)

Have been trying to find the "A*?" on this bottle; have been looking under bottle makers;

BUT.............

for bottles in the 1880-1930 range anything embossed on the base could well be the end user and not of
those who made the bottle.

Just some info that may help someone else.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread