Who Collects Cures and Remedies?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Who here collects cures and remedies? That is, bottles with the embossed words "cure" (in some form) or "remedy."

Show us some of your cure and remedy bottles!

oneminutecoughcure.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
What does that bottle say? . . . FAST INDIAN // CORN PAINT ?? (or is it EAST INDIAN // ??)

Neither spelling is listed in Knapp's (2006) Guide. What a great llittle bottle!

BUT . . . It's not a cure or remedy in those collecting categories if it is not embossed "cure" (in some form) or "remedy."

Show us another, Tom!

Attachments

• ackersenglishremedy.jpg
    ackersenglishremedy.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,011

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a mini catarah remedy the bottle its crude and has two doctor's name on it that's odd and made in buffalo

Attachments

• dr catarah.JPG
    dr catarah.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 985
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
john glassman said:
Here's a mini catarah remedy the bottle its crude and has two doctor's name on it that's odd and made in buffalo

I wonder if this was really potent stuff, or was this a sample? Nice remedy, John!

Here's another of my few:

cureKKbrightsdisease.jpg

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a quack remedy keeper!! I found this last year it still had the label on the back but disapeared after being exposed to the open air. never found a price on this little bottle it's sit's in my display case now ;D

Attachments

• A great indain remedy.JPG
    A great indain remedy.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 947
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
That one IS a keeper, John. It's got the "remedy" appeal, plus it has "Indian" in the name!

Knapp's 2006 Guide lists your bottle at $20.00! Not bad for a relatively plain, colorless/aqua bottle! It is the embossing that makes this one highly collectible.

Here's one more remedy bottle. The Spencer Medicine Company also made "NUBIAN TEA."

plantersoldtimeremedies.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
We ran out of cures and remedies too quickly -- there are lots more out there. Many collectors have these bottles on their shelf. Warner's is a whole collecting category of its own, containing many variants of cures and remedies. Who's got one to show off??

warnerscureremedy.jpg

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a Dead Shot, Dr. H.P. Peery's Vermifuge, common and not too old but interesting. :D

DrPeerysVermifuge.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Nice little bottle, Tom!

Dr. H.F. Peery's // Dead Shot / Vermifuge appears on an aqua, oval bottle 4 inches tall. A vermifuge is a medicine that causes the expulsion of worms from the intestinal tract. There is a blowpipe pontiled variant that is embossed Perry's, but Peery's is the spelling given in their ads. H.F. Peery allowed Abraham and Isaac Sands to have his sole agency about 1840, and it became a big seller. Later, others bottled the preparation, which was “capable, from the promptitude of its action, of clearing the system in a few hours of every worm”. ---from The Medicine Cabinet by Dr. Richard Cannon, a column in Old Bottle & Glass Collector magazine.

Here's another Warner's Safe Cure, this one a half-pint from London.

warnersgreenlondon.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Says "Scotts Emulsion Cod Liver Oil with Lime & Soda". You would think the word cure would be in that somewhere. I like it because it has a cool little guy carrying a big fish on his back. This T-net is going to make me dig out all my old bottles one day. Fun post
Thanks
TnMtns

Attachments

• 100_1603.JPG
    100_1603.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 851
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
TnMountains said:
Says "Scotts Emulsion Cod Liver Oil with Lime & Soda". You would think the word cure would be in that somewhere. I like it because it has a cool little guy carrying a big fish on his back. This T-net is going to make me dig out all my old bottles one day. Fun post
Thanks
TnMtns

That's an interesting bottle -- wonder how the contents tasted . . . . . . . . . . noooo, I don't want to contemplate that! LOL

This same logo, man with fish, appears on an amber, screw-top, recessed-panel, SCOTTS COD LIVER OIL (as I remember it). This amber bottle has prominent embossing and is quite attractive.

Do dig out your bottles . . . it will double your thrill of discovery -- then and NOW. :hello2:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Pristis said:
TnMountains said:
Thanks
TnMtns

That's an interesting bottle -- wonder how the contents tasted . . . . . . . . . . noooo, I don't want to contemplate that! LOL

This same logo, man with fish, appears on an amber, screw-top, recessed-panel, SCOTTS COD LIVER OIL (as I remember it). This amber bottle has prominent embossing and is quite attractive.

Do dig out your bottles . . . it will double your thrill of discovery -- then and NOW. :hello2:

That one was not a screw top but looked to be a snap type top? I have wanted to dig into my bottles as many bottlers where here in Chattanooga. I dug so many med bottles and then coke bottles. We found where the coke dump in the river from the bottling plant was and dove for many of them.The first coca-cola bottler was here in town so I have old boxes full of those types.I have never priced any but I should study them at some point. I just like glass I do not care if its old or czek crystal they are beautiful.
Thanks and if I am not mistaken you advised me on an inchino fossil or something like that at one time.Is that correct?
Thank you sir
TnMountains

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
That one was not a screw top but looked to be a snap type top? I have wanted to dig into my bottles as many bottlers where here in Chattanooga. I dug so many med bottles and then coke bottles. We found where the coke dump in the river from the bottling plant was and dove for many of them.The first coca-cola bottler was here in town so I have old boxes full of those types.I have never priced any but I should study them at some point. I just like glass I do not care if its old or czek crystal they are beautiful.
Thanks and if I am not mistaken you advised me on an inchino fossil or something like that at one time.Is that correct?
Thank you sir
TnMountains

Your Scott's bottle has a closure with which I am not familiar.

Diving the river for old Coke bottles -- now that's what I call fun! The Tennessee River must be loaded with bottles, not just at the bottler's dump. I don't collect Coke bottles myself, but there is a demand for 'em. I found a bottler's dump in the South Edisto River (South Carolina), but didn't find a single intact coke bottle. Did get some SC Dispensary bottles in that stretch of river, though. :hello2:

Fossils and bottles . . . I don't know much else, TnMtn! LOL

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol well bottles and fossils are okay and you seem to excel. I like ancient artifacts,civil war,bottles rocks and fossils mountains hunting and southern girls. To many hobbys not enough time to be brilliant at anything except maybe period restorations. I need to learn to foucus.
Thank you Harry.
TnMtns
Richard

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
I bought this for 2$ thought it was funny!! dr. bosankos pile remedy philada, pe
seems to have a ground pontil?? not sure :headbang:

Attachments

• remedy.jpg
    remedy.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 785
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
tattooedmomma said:
I bought this for 2$ thought it was funny!! dr. bosankos pile remedy philada, pe
seems to have a ground pontil?? not sure :headbang:
Nice little remedy, ' 'momma'! :hello2:

I found your bottle in Knapp's 2006 Price Guide listed at $5.00, so it's a better bottle than many.

Ground pontil scars are a feature of high-value or art glass. It just wasn't economical to grind a pontil scar on a utility bottle like this one. Your remedy is probably too recent to have been empontilled.

Got some others?

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I collect too many bottles...so I place them outside in the summer to catch rain to water my potted plants!

Here are a few of my "remedy" bottles

Attachments

• DSCF0040.JPG
    DSCF0040.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 722
  • DSCF0039.JPG
    DSCF0039.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 722

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions