Who Collects Preserves Bottles and Jars?

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to hear how people get started collecting bottles. When I tell people I work with that digging bottles is my hobby they usually look at me like I have two heads!

28 years ago...while with my dad metal detecting....yea I get the looks..."Why is that guy wearing rubber boots, filthy, holding a pitchfork...is he a killer?"

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I just love these jars -- simple, functional, colorful. They are dip-mold blown, I believe; they are not turned in the mold. They have disc-pontil scars, most of 'em. The neck is tooled irregularly, and the lip is neatly rolled.

I've tried to imagine a tool for rolling the lip, 'cause I haven't seen one represented anywhere. Any ideas?

2bocaux_marron.JPG

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just love these jars -- simple, functional, colorful. They are dip-mold blown, I believe; they are not turned in the mold. They have disc-pontil scars, most of 'em. The neck is tooled irregularly, and the lip is neatly rolled.

I've tried to imagine a tool for rolling the lip, 'cause I haven't seen one represented anywhere. Any ideas?

I find a lot of those, them and the squat amber cheeseborough Vaseline jars, I leave them for the beachcombers, makes them feel good that they found an old bottle/jar....good karma

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Coincidentally, my first saved bottle is one that fits this thread.
It's a 1940s or 1950s cottage cheese jar which I found snorkeling in a flooded limestone quarry near Lamont, Illinois.

I grew up in Chicago, drinking Bowman Dairy milk. When I found the jar, I wasn't drinking milk any longer, but I was back working in Chicago after years living elsewhere while in the military. There was something nostalgic about the jar.

Then there was the bold embossing, the stout construction, and the perfect condition of this jar that appealed to me. I kept it for years before I got serious about collecting bottles. It's on my shelf now, among other, much older jars and bottles. Thanks for asking.
​Ma grew up in Naperville back when its population was around 3,500...on a dairy farm along the DuPage. I have more family back there than I can count. Now talk about privy heaven...that area is THICK.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here is a couple of unusual examples. The light green jar has a disc pontil scar. What's different about it is the crude lip finish. In my limited experience, these jars typically are well-made. You can see tool marks (no damage) around the skimpy lip.

The flared lip jar in black glass is just a routine early-1800s jar, except it is an unusually slender form.
2bocaux_trumpet.JPG

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I'm certain that there are some preserving bottles and jars newly added to collections represented here. How about showing us your new additions.

Here is a mini mustard jar, crude and with a pontil scar.

barrel_colorless.JPG barrels_mixed_4.JPG

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477711221.866083.jpg Here's a nice jar I dug recently. It's a 20oz The Heroine jar in "ball" blue. It's listed in the red book for jars at $500+. That's with the closure which I doubt I will ever find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions