Lets see your CODD bottles!

OP
OP
tattooedmomma

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
Codd style bottles are readily identified by their marble stopper. The Codd bottle was filled upside down so that as soon the filling stopped, the stopper was forced down to seal the bottle against the rubber ring. Pressure inside the bottle would keep the marble pressed against the top of the bottle. To open the bottle, the marble was pressed down where it would fall into the neck chamber below. If the bottle is held the right way, the marble stays inside the chamber when the bottle is tilted up for drinking. Many of these bottles were destroyed when children would routinely break open the bottle to get the marble inside.

Mine say california gazosa works made in italy

Attachments

• editttt.jpg
    editttt.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 817
  • edit bottle.jpg
    edit bottle.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 656

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Nice Codd. The marbles are usually Bullet mold types and are light green to aqua..ish in color. Marbles of other colors are found too , but are much less common.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
tattooedmomma said:
Codd style bottles are readily identified by their marble stopper. The Codd bottle was filled upside down so that as soon the filling stopped, the stopper was forced down to seal the bottle against the rubber ring. Pressure inside the bottle would keep the marble pressed against the top of the bottle. To open the bottle, the marble was pressed down where it would fall into the neck chamber below. If the bottle is held the right way, the marble stays inside the chamber when the bottle is tilted up for drinking. Many of these bottles were destroyed when children would routinely break open the bottle to get the marble inside.

Mine say california gazosa works made in italy
Interesting find, 'momma! Yours is the first one I've seen from Italy. I have seen them from France and from Belgium . . . and, of course, from England. I traded away one from a Far East city (not Hong Kong, but can't remember the city name) which was a British colony. I believe that a couple of bottlers in the NE USA used Codd stopper bottles briefly -- they are super collectible, I understand.

This is the only Codd stopper bottle I have now.

sodaCoddstopper.jpg

OP
OP
tattooedmomma

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
The codd bottle I posted is now for sale on ebay!! Let me know if you are interested!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've got one that is almost exactly the same as the one Cuddles posted, with the stone-looking marble. I'd have to dig it out of storage to see who it was manufactured for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread