Mini advertising jugs found at an estate sale!

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an estate sale over the weekend and found some small advertising jugs. I think they are from the early 1900's maybe? I gave $3.50 for both.
The first is 3 1/4" tall and says: WALLACE & GREGORY BROS. ELKO COUNTY PURE APPLE JUICE VINEGAR PADUCAH-KY.
The second jug is 4 1/2" and says: RADIUM WATER FROM THE BUNGALOW HOTEL CLAREMORE, OKLA. I think this was some kind of mineral water that was bottled when a man who was drilling for oil near Claremore found "rotton-egg-smelling" water instead. Apparently Claremore became known as "Radium Town" after that.
Hope this is the right area to post these--I know they aren't glass (but they are bottles).
Here's the pics........
regards~~sandcreek

Attachments

• P1090490.JPG
    P1090490.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 931
  • P1090554.JPG
    P1090554.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 942
  • P1090555.JPG
    P1090555.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 905
  • P1090492.JPG
    P1090492.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 916
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
These are excellent pieces, I cannot overstate this. Absolutely outstanding.
Thanks gleaner1!!
kind regards~sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
I really like the "radium water" jug. That is very funky.

I did not see any for "radium water" when I was researching advertising mini-jugs. I would imagine that one is worth some bread.

If you did not see it earlier, there is a link to an excellent article about advertising mini-jugs in my post with the banner picture.
Thanks plehbah! These aren't near as awesome as the one you dug up, but I was on the lookout for this kind of thing because of all the attention given to yours.
I've also been looking at different ones on ebay and they can sell from $30 and up. So my $3.50 might have been a pretty good investment.

Kind regards~~sandcreek

ur4osu

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2010
Would you be interested in selling the Claremore jug? I live in Claremore and have a couple of them, but think they are really cool.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking bottles....

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Nice bottles sandcreek, and great history! "Radioactive water?" I know there is some very foul smelling, high sulpher content well water around here, same thing?

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Nice bottles sandcreek, and great history! "Radioactive water?" I know there is some very foul smelling, high sulpher content well water around here, same thing?
Naturegirl--I just found that I had some responses to this post, so sorry I didn't answer your question sooner! I think they bottled that "rotten egg" smelling water and called it medicinal during the early 1900's. Radioactive was supposed to be good for you back then :dontknow: ::) . I sold this little jug for a nice profit! ;D
ur4osu said:
Would you be interested in selling the Claremore jug? I live in Claremore and have a couple of them, but think they are really cool.
ur4osu--I sold the jug last summer after posting it on here---Sorry!
plehbah said:
ur4osu said:

One post? And that "business" that I quoted in red?
You are a BOTTLE COLLECTOR!

That radium water is worth some money!

Post a picture of the couple you have!
Plehbah--you crack me up---I never know what to expect from you. Sometimes, when you state the obvious, it sounds so funny! (I made a tidy little profit on the radium jug :wink: ).
Treasure_Hunter said:
Great looking bottles....
creeper71 said:
Thanks Treasure_Hunter and creeper71.
sandcreek~~

ur4osu

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2010
I do not know how to post pictures. I have 6 jugs total. All larger than the one pictured. The small Bungalow jug is one of 5 that I know of out in the world. At one time, my father owned two of them.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ur4osu said:
I do not know how to post pictures. I have 6 jugs total. All larger than the one pictured. The small Bungalow jug is one of 5 that I know of out in the world. At one time, my father owned two of them.
I wish I had known you collected these jugs, ur4osu, and I would have sold it to you. I've seen other items on eBay from the Bungalow Hotel(like a token and postcard). Maybe more of the jugs will turn up someday :thumbsup: .
:hello:
sandcreek~~

ur4osu

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2010
Was it cracked? It looked like it in the pictures?

Just for curiosity, what did you get for it? Also, do you remember who you sold it to?

ur4osu

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2010
I have 6 without cracks. My dad owned 9 others without cracks. The other 4 examples of the Bungalo Jug that I have seen are all clean

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ur4osu said:
Was it cracked? It looked like it in the pictures?

Just for curiosity, what did you get for it? Also, do you remember who you sold it to?
Yes, it had a hairline crack--but was otherwise in really good condition.
I'd rather not say what I got for it--how about more than $50 and less than $500 ;D .
And if I remember correctly, I think it went to someone here in Oklahoma(but I wouldn't swear to that because it was last year and I've sold lots of stuff on eBay since then!).

ur4osu said:
I have 6 without cracks. My dad owned 9 others without cracks. The other 4 examples of the Bungalo Jug that I have seen are all clean
So, do you just collect the radium water jugs or do you like all "advertising" jugs? I'd like to see a picture of all the ones you have--I bet they make quit nice display :icon_thumright: .

ur4osu

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2010
I have the following:

Sequoyah Hotel quart jug - Small Stencil
Sequoyah Hotel quart jug - Large Stencil (looks like the maker used the stencil from a much larger jug for some reason)
Sequoyah Hotel 2.5 gallon
Mendenhall Bath House 1 gallon Jug
Mendenhall Bath House 5 gallon Jug
Sanatarium Bath House 5 gallon

My dad had:
The Bungalo Jug you had
Mendenhall Bath House 1 gallon Jug
Mendenhall Bath House 3 gallon Jug
Mendenhall Bath House Quart gallon Jug
Sequoyah Mini Jug
Sequoyah 1 gallon
Sequoyah 2 gallon
Sequoyah 5 gallon
Sanatarium Bath House 3 gallon

I would have paid more than $50 and less than $500 for the jug you sold (would have paid $500 if it was not cracked) Most I have paid was $590 for a jug. I paid that for the Sanitarium 5 gallon.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I just realized this thread is almost a year old, and I also noticed that this additional tid-bit of information had not been mentioned yet. So I thought it might be of interest to those who don't already know.

The Will Rogers Memorial is a 19,052-square-foot museum in Claremore, Oklahoma that memorializes entertainer Will Rogers. The museum houses artifacts, memorabilia, photographs, and manuscripts pertaining to Rogers' life, and documentaries, speeches, and movies starring Rogers are shown in a theater. Rogers' tomb is located on its 20-acre grounds overlooking Claremore and Rogers State University. The land for the museum was originally purchased by Rogers, a Claremore native, in 1911 for the site of his retirement home, but was given to members of the Rogers family after his death and later donated to the state of Oklahoma. The museum opened in 1938, three years after his death. Rogers was born in 1875 near present day Oologah, Oklahoma. Claremore is located on historic Route 66 ... also known as "The Will Rogers Highway."

SBB

Attachments

• Will Rogers Postcard-Memorial- Claremore, OK (640x416).jpg
    Will Rogers Postcard-Memorial- Claremore, OK (640x416).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 520

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread