Stoneware bottle
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Aug 2008
    Johnson co. Arkansas
    whites classic 5 id whites mxt

Stoneware bottle

Found this old bottle today I think it's an old beer bottle but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frog 003.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	315945  

Kentucky Kache

Re: Stoneware bottle

I don't know, but its cool. Good find.

us
    Just an old man enjoying life...

Jun 2006
    Banning, California
    ace 250
    206 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

looks like a bowling pin decanter.....

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    957 times

Quote Originally Posted by dooley01
    Found this old bottle today I think it's an old beer bottle but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
    I think you are in the right town, but on the wrong street, so to speak.

Your bottle appears to be a stoneware ale or stout bottle that is slip-glazed. Not the typical British ale bottle. Look for a maker's mark on the lower side of the bottle.

A gazillion ale bottles in a typical two-tone glaze were imported into the USA (is that where you found it?) in the second half of the nineteenth century on into the twentieth. Many were produced in Glasgow, Scotland.

These bottles were made for ale or stout which kept better without refrigeration. Pasteurization (after 1873) allowed for local brewing of the more-fragile Pilsner beers, and importation of the bottled ale dropped off.

This image shows three beer or ale bottles. Left and center are American-made, the center bottle in the Bristol style of glaze. The third bottle is British ware, recovered in Guyana, a former British colony. The sharp shoulders are not the most common form, which has sloping shoulders like your bottle.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sometimes I go about pitying myself, and all the time
    I am being carried on great winds across the sky.

------Chippewa saying, translated by Robert Bly

us

Jun 2006
    Banning, California
    ace 250
    206 times

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Pristis
    Quote Originally Posted by dooley01
    I think you are in the right town, but on the wrong street, so to speak.

If you look at the bottle in question it tapers towards the bottom, like a bowling pin and your examples do not taper....Just a observation

PLL

Your bottle appears to be a stoneware ale or stout bottle that is slip-glazed. Not the typical British ale bottle. Look for a maker's mark on the lower side of the bottle.

A gazillion ale bottles in a typical two-tone glaze were imported into the USA (is that where you found it?) in the second half of the nineteenth century on into the twentieth. Many were produced in Glasgow, Scotland.

These bottles were made for ale or stout which kept better without refrigeration. Pasteurization (after 1873) allowed for local brewing of the more-fragile Pilsner beers, and importation of the bottled ale dropped off.

This image shows three beer or ale bottles. Left and center are American-made, the center bottle in the Bristol style of glaze. The third bottle is British ware, recovered in Guyana, a former British colony. The sharp shoulders are not the most common form, which has sloping shoulders like your bottle.

us

Jun 2006
    Banning, California
    ace 250
    206 times

Here's a link to the decanter http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...r-bottle-w-tax

PLL

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    957 times

Quote Originally Posted by pegleglooker
    Here's a link to the decanter http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...r-bottle-w-tax --PLL
    If you look at the bottle in question it tapers towards the bottom, like a bowling pin and your examples do not taper....Just a observation --PLL
    This bottle is not a Jim Beam bottle, sorry.

The taper in the image that has confused you is a product of the position at which the camera was held in relation to the bottle. This optical phenomenon is called "perspective," I believe.

In this case, the part of the bottle that is closer to the camera (the lip) appears larger, and a part of the bottle that is further from the camera (the base) appears diminishingly smaller. You can read about and see perspective distortion here: http://www.ask.com/bar?q=perspective...photography%29

We can determine that 'dooley1' held his camera above the bottle because the entire mouth is visible in the image. If 'dooley1' had taken his picture with the camera perpendicular to the stoneware bottle, the body of the bottle would appear cylindrical (or nearly so).

us

Jun 2006
    Banning, California
    ace 250
    206 times

Well, I for one would like to see what is on the bottom of the bottle...

PLL

On extended Holiday.

Dec 2008
    75 times

I found one similar to this bottle a while back. It has the Glasgow mark towards the bottom of the bottle. I determined that it was most likely a ginger beer bottle. Cool find!

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    957 times

Quote Originally Posted by DigginThePast
    I found one similar to this bottle a while back. It has the Glasgow mark towards the bottom of the bottle. I determined that it was most likely a ginger beer bottle. Cool find!
    It is a common misconception that these stoneware ale bottles are "ginger beer" bottles. I think it may be diggers' lore, like wood bottle molds and graphite pontil scars.

Ginger beer bottles are typically marked as such with under-glaze stencils. Stoneware ale bottles don't have such labels.

I think the confusion has arisen from the refilling of ale bottles with locally-produced ginger beer. Making ginger beer for personal use or local distribution was a common practice. And, there were plenty of ale bottles available for this secondary use.

Unfortunately, THE COLLECTOR'S GUIDE TO CIVIL WAR PERIOD BOTTLES AND JARS by Mike Russell promotes this identification error by mis-labeling stoneware ale bottles from the Bertrand (sunken steam-ship) as ginger beers. There were NO ginger beer bottles, identified as such, recovered from the Bertrand cargo, although there were numerous ale bottles identified from paper labels or crate markings.

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    192 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

neat find !
    ALLEN

Sponsored Links