• frog 003.jpg
    frog 003.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 625

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
dooley01 said:
Found this old bottle today I think it's an old beer bottle but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
I think you are in the right town, but on the wrong street, so to speak.

Your bottle appears to be a stoneware ale or stout bottle that is slip-glazed. Not the typical British ale bottle. Look for a maker's mark on the lower side of the bottle.

A gazillion ale bottles in a typical two-tone glaze were imported into the USA (is that where you found it?) in the second half of the nineteenth century on into the twentieth. Many were produced in Glasgow, Scotland.

These bottles were made for ale or stout which kept better without refrigeration. Pasteurization (after 1873) allowed for local brewing of the more-fragile Pilsner beers, and importation of the bottled ale dropped off.

This image shows three beer or ale bottles. Left and center are American-made, the center bottle in the Bristol style of glaze. The third bottle is British ware, recovered in Guyana, a former British colony. The sharp shoulders are not the most common form, which has sloping shoulders like your bottle.

Attachments

• stonewarebeer3.jpg
    stonewarebeer3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,434

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Pristis said:
dooley01 said:
Found this old bottle today I think it's an old beer bottle but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
I think you are in the right town, but on the wrong street, so to speak.

If you look at the bottle in question it tapers towards the bottom, like a bowling pin and your examples do not taper....Just a observation

PLL

Your bottle appears to be a stoneware ale or stout bottle that is slip-glazed. Not the typical British ale bottle. Look for a maker's mark on the lower side of the bottle.

A gazillion ale bottles in a typical two-tone glaze were imported into the USA (is that where you found it?) in the second half of the nineteenth century on into the twentieth. Many were produced in Glasgow, Scotland.

These bottles were made for ale or stout which kept better without refrigeration. Pasteurization (after 1873) allowed for local brewing of the more-fragile Pilsner beers, and importation of the bottled ale dropped off.

This image shows three beer or ale bottles. Left and center are American-made, the center bottle in the Bristol style of glaze. The third bottle is British ware, recovered in Guyana, a former British colony. The sharp shoulders are not the most common form, which has sloping shoulders like your bottle.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
pegleglooker said:
If you look at the bottle in question it tapers towards the bottom, like a bowling pin and your examples do not taper....Just a observation --PLL
This bottle is not a Jim Beam bottle, sorry.

The taper in the image that has confused you is a product of the position at which the camera was held in relation to the bottle. This optical phenomenon is called "perspective," I believe.

In this case, the part of the bottle that is closer to the camera (the lip) appears larger, and a part of the bottle that is further from the camera (the base) appears diminishingly smaller. You can read about and see perspective distortion here: http://www.ask.com/bar?q=perspectiv...org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography)

We can determine that 'dooley1' held his camera above the bottle because the entire mouth is visible in the image. If 'dooley1' had taken his picture with the camera perpendicular to the stoneware bottle, the body of the bottle would appear cylindrical (or nearly so).

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one similar to this bottle a while back. It has the Glasgow mark towards the bottom of the bottle. I determined that it was most likely a ginger beer bottle. Cool find! :icon_thumright:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
DigginThePast said:
I found one similar to this bottle a while back. It has the Glasgow mark towards the bottom of the bottle. I determined that it was most likely a ginger beer bottle. Cool find! :icon_thumright:
It is a common misconception that these stoneware ale bottles are "ginger beer" bottles. I think it may be diggers' lore, like wood bottle molds and graphite pontil scars.

Ginger beer bottles are typically marked as such with under-glaze stencils. Stoneware ale bottles don't have such labels.

I think the confusion has arisen from the refilling of ale bottles with locally-produced ginger beer. Making ginger beer for personal use or local distribution was a common practice. And, there were plenty of ale bottles available for this secondary use.

Unfortunately, THE COLLECTOR'S GUIDE TO CIVIL WAR PERIOD BOTTLES AND JARS by Mike Russell promotes this identification error by mis-labeling stoneware ale bottles from the Bertrand (sunken steam-ship) as ginger beers. There were NO ginger beer bottles, identified as such, recovered from the Bertrand cargo, although there were numerous ale bottles identified from paper labels or crate markings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread