Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I found was a company in 1870's Milwaukee. The bottle says McLaughlin & Butler's Milwaukee, Wis. In the center it says Wholesale Liquors. Any information would be appreciated.

Bottle A.jpg

Hope some one can help. Thanks.

Burdie

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: I struck out again, need help on this bottle.

Burdie, that's a good bottle. I am not familiar with more western pieces but any slug plate flask raises eyebrows. I have the feeling this thread might take off with some interesting info. Nice piece. Is it quart size?

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is it quart size?
Yes it is. No cracks or chips but three big bubbles in the bottle. A nice looking color.

Burdie

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Burdie, bubbles are good. It's got color and it's a quart. It's embossed. Could it bring $50 or $75 or more?. It all depends on the buyer. Certainly it's a $30 piece in any shop. If I saw it for $30, I would buy it.

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1 said:
Burdie, bubbles are good. It's got color and it's a quart. It's embossed. Could it bring $50 or $75 or more?. It all depends on the buyer. Certainly it's a $30 piece in any shop. If I saw it for $30, I would buy it.

Thank you for the information. I am puting it on a bottle collectors auction on line. I am going for $60.

Burdie

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Burdie, hang on, it could be a wild ride, you never know. Please let us know how you do.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

PETER A. MCLAUGHLIN
importer of and dealer in fine wines, liquors and cigars., No. 102 West Water street. His business was established in 1865, under the firm name of McLaughlin & Hoyt. the firm was dissolved in 1875; Mr. McLaughlin disposing of his interest. He next engaged in the distilling business, which he continued about one year, when he returned to the liquor business, having formed a partnership with D.C. Butler, the firm being McLaughlin & Butler. In 1879, the firm was dissolved, Mr. McLaughlin continuing the business. Peter A. McLaughlin was born in Dublin, Ireland, October 28,1831; was educated in his native city, and came to America in 1849, first to St. Louis, where he remained eight years; then removed to Chicago, where he remained eight years; came to Milwaukee in 1865, since which time he has been engaged in business as above.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1479

From this reference it can be suggested that the firm of McL. and Butler lasted for less than two years; between the years 1878 and 1879.

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, thank you so much on that information Mackaydon. I may have a very rare bottle after all.
This forum is fantastic.

Burdie

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: I struck out again, need help on this bottle. Info collected (rare)

Burdie:
The purpose statement of the Milwaukee Antique Bottle and Advertising Club is to encourage and promote the hobby of bottle and advertising collecting, encourage the ethical exchange sale, and display of bottles and seek to establish the worth (Fair market price) of collectable bottles and advertising, encourage among bottle diggers and divers, respect for the property of others and adherence to the laws of the land.

I suggest you contact their representatives at the below referenced Email addresses with your request--and the bottle's picture; then please get back to us with their response.

You have a great looking bottle that has historic significance; perhaps even an eye-opening monetary value.

Don........

[email protected]
[email protected]

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon said:
Burdie:
The purpose statement of the Milwaukee Antique Bottle and Advertising Club is to encourage and promote the hobby of bottle and advertising collecting, encourage the ethical exchange sale, and display of bottles and seek to establish the worth (Fair market price) of collectable bottles and advertising, encourage among bottle diggers and divers, respect for the property of others and adherence to the laws of the land.

I suggest you contact their representatives at the below referenced Email addresses with your request--and the bottle's picture; then please get back to us with their response.

You have a great looking bottle that has historic significance; perhaps even an eye-opening monetary value.

Don........

[email protected]
[email protected]

OK Don now you done it. :blob8: I may never calm down. ;D

Burdie

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Burdie,I can't tell you how many old bottles I shot with my bb gun when I was a kid.Sorry about that.And I would probably shoot the one you have now without giving it a thought if you would let me.

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You no !^*#!*#^*!! :violent1: But I love ya man. ;D

Burdie

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had an offer of 400 so far and an auction house wants to sell it also. The auction people think it might be $600 to $800. Just siting back right now and waiting.

Burdie

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Here is what I've heard about strapsides Burdie...

Typically colorless and teal blue strapsides with blank slug will go for anywhere between 5 and 10 bucks and if you add in things like color (amber, orange, green, yellow, blue, purple), embossing on the slug, and saught after flaws such as bubbles, the value of flask could go up exponentially. It really depends on the market you are in and what types of bottles are in demand and going for at that time. Let's say you have an amber flask like you have there, but no other features. It might bring a little bit more than 10 bucks because of the color, 25, 50...100-200 maybe if it's blue and in demand. Add in the fact that you have an embossed slug, AND you have bubbles? The value could very well be in the hundreds, and if that embossing is rare...maybe into the low 1000s

Exactly how much it is worth will be what you can get for it, which nobody can know until you sell it, but I will tell you this though...the place you should get the most for it will be in Milwalkee. Locals will usually go for a little more because you will have people trying to make local collections. If you are in or close to Milwalkee, take it there. If you aren't, stick it on ebay and tag it with the city's name. Unless it's really common (and embossed slugs usually aren't...) you WILL maximize the amount you can get for it. I would say the only thing that could make your flask worth more would be if it was in a more valuable color (i.e; cobalt blue). Polishing it might too, but that would be a gamble. If you found a buyer that liked polished bottles they might pay more. You've got everything in it you could want in a bottle. On top of all that, fact that someone offered you 400 bucks for it tells me it could be worth quite a bit more than that. Someone doesn't offer 400 bucks for an old piece of glass if they don't know what they are looking at. I say banner that sucker. I tagged it.

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here it is... Drum roll please. $450 dollars. Two days later a said he would of paid $650 after he knew I sold it. Who knows it was a wild ride though. Thanks everyone for helping out. If you know anything about old glass I have a bowl I would like to find out who made it. I have it posted in what is it.
Burdie

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Wow. Burdie, that kind of stinks that the other guy said had he known that you had an offer of 450 he would have paid 650. That tells me its most likely worth at least 650, especially if the 650 statement was coming from a dealer. You should get a reply on the antique glass. A lot of people collect that stuff. That sure is a nice bottle. It's too bad you were getting rid of it. Where did you get it? Did you dig it?

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
Wow. Burdie, that kind of stinks that the other guy said had he known that you had an offer of 450 he would have paid 650. That tells me its most likely worth at least 650, especially if the 650 statement was coming from a dealer. You should get a reply on the antique glass. A lot of people collect that stuff. That sure is a nice bottle. It's too bad you were getting rid of it. Where did you get it? Did you dig it?

It was in the wall of of an 1880 built house.

Burdie

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Burdie;
So go to the guy who bought it and ask would he pay a (say) 10% commission if you could sell it for him at $650. If he says 'yes', get it in writing and go back to the guy who said he'd pay $650 for the bottle. Put the deal together and make another $65.
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread