Finding bottle dumps?? Help

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
hey guys
ive been detecting for 2 yrs. Last yr i came accross my first and only bottle dump. The town was digging behind town hall and uncovered it and let me dig it. I got like 2 boxes full of bottles and had a great time. Only problem is i dont know how to find another one. I detect alot of old houses and sites. Any ideas on bottle dumps. How to find them? where would they be located on the site? do all old sites have them? are they deep?
sorry for all the questions but im hust gettin into this. Any info would be great. thank
Keith

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and find old maps of your town from like the early 1900's to say 1950's or drive out on old country roads to see where old towns might have been.Ask around maybe at VFW posts and talk to the old vets about these places,if your town has a history center try them or go to your capital of your state and look for old maps.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Try to ask the old timers who are still alive where they dumped their rubbish. City areas usually had large city dumps whereas rural homesteads had their own trash pits somewhere on their properties. Gulches were often used if they were nearby house sites because the occupants did'nt have to dig pits. Good luck.

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hello, One way I have found old surface dump sites is to check out plots of woods in your area. If you see any tree's that are larger than the rest and close to the edge of the woods near the fields or open area's. I think these large tree's were good eyeball markers to remember where the dump was. Also if you find an old road bed in the woods, follow it in both directions and one way usually would lead to an old dump site! Please make sure to get permission to look and dig first from the property owner! Good luck!

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
For some good maps of towns, try to find a Sanborn Fire Map website.

For a LOT of good info on privy/bottle digging, check out www.privydigger.com

Good luck and keep at it!

glassrelics

Oct 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Sanborn maps are great for finding older areas, but I feel the only way to locate older dumps is by doing the leg work. Look for pottery/glass shards on the surface and dig around when you think your onto something. I like searching around old cellar holes and ravines behind old houses...or where older houses once stood (check the sanborn maps). I often drive around and just look for older areas. They are out there and when you find a good one, it is often worth the time!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my 2nd posting,sorry I should have included this,I love Goggle Earth or any other satellite mapping sites,find your town then start moving around to farmland/rural areas on the site.I pick out a house or farm that's sitting out buy its self and then find it with the car and ask permission or just walk out among the land and look for trash,usually I find lots of rusty tincans and other items and if you look long enough you will find the site where they dumped all their trash.Most of the ones I find now have trees or bushes coming up in them but that's not a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions