WHERE TO FIND OLD SODA BOTTLES

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I'm new to TreasureNet, but am starting to get the hang of it. However, I enjoy it so much that I fear I may have created a monster within myself. But, what the heck ... its Halloween ... right?

Regarding where to find old soda bottles, I won't disclose which county I live in because I want to hoard all the local hot-spots to myself. Once an area is gone over, dug and picked clean, it's done for good. But I can tell you that its the same in every state. I rarely buy bottles, and have been hunting for and finding them off and on now for the past 30-odd years. Most of what I find are what I call "commons" that I already have, but continue the search anyway for the occasional rare one's I stumble upon. Being as I live in a warm, arid climate, my "hunting season" doesn't start until Thanksgiving and ends around Easter. In the past I have learned the hard way that rattlesnakes like to inhabit the same areas where I search. Between Thanksgiving and Easter they are usually in hibernation (I say "usually" ... exercise caution !)

I seek out sections of old two-lane highways where traffic might have been the heaviest back in the 40's and 50's. I avoid sections that border private property or barbed wire fences, and prefer brushy slopes. The brush would have cushioned a bottle thrown from a car, and then concealed it until I came (sometimes literally crawling) along fifty years later. This reference to crawling is where the rattlesnake part comes in. I can't tell you how many times I've come face to face with them when I used to search during the summer months, and why I no longer do. I use a long handled, three prong garden tilling rake for digging beneath the leaves, but often find them lying on the surface. Its dirty work, but it can be fun as well as rewarding. Try it, you might like it!

Good luck ... and don't worry about the ticks. They brush off easily enough if you get to them in time.

Sincerely,

SODABOTTLEBOB

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try and find places where people use to live and search for their dumps,I also look for old rual/country roads,if there's a fence along the road ,look about 1 to 3 feet from fence line and dig down in the soil or brush,also look for a towns dump,has the town/city added a new one in the last 10 or 20 years if so find out where the old one was.Going to barbershops that cater to the old guys,say in their 70's,80's or 90's,these guys have tons of info. on your surroundings. Good Luck! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread