• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 453

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hello! Very Cool looking bottle :icon_thumleft: That cobalt blue color gets my blood pumping when I am digging an old dump site :headbang: Never seen one with embossed Chinese writing. Thanks for showing :coffee2: Paul

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Mostly likely medicine. That grooved corner was for an eye-dropper thing to be held there by a rubber band (I'm told) I have a brown one with Japanese words on it. Unless you know for sure yours is Chinese, it might also be Japanese characters.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Thanks for sharing your find. :icon_thumleft:
Oriental medicine bottles are what I collect. Your find looks very nice. :icon_thumleft:

Here's a small sample of some of mine.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 660
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 406

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Mostly likely medicine. That grooved corner was for an eye-dropper thing to be held there by a rubber band (I'm told) I have a brown one with Japanese words on it. Unless you know for sure yours is Chinese, it might also be Japanese characters.

Long long ago, an attractive young Japanese girl informed a handsome young American sailor that Japanese and Chinese can read each others writing although they don't speak the same language, the characters mean the same thing. There is a more modern Japanese writing/alphabet letters that is very different, but the old writings using characters that mean words are interchangeable. And that's about all an old usta be sailor can remember about that. Just remember, there is a difference in sea stories and fairy tales, just not much. But that's how I remember it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Long long ago, an attractive young Japanese girl informed a handsome young American sailor that Japanese and Chinese can read each others writing although they don't speak the same language, the characters mean the same thing. There is a more modern Japanese writing/alphabet letters that is very different, but the old writings using characters that mean words are interchangeable. And that's about all an old usta be sailor can remember about that. Just remember, there is a difference in sea stories and fairy tales, just not much. But that's how I remember it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

pretty good....the Japanese call Chinese "Kanji" and it is their formal way to write. It is how they sign their names to...with Kanji almost exclusively. They also use a script called "Katakana" and another called "Hiragana"..they all learn and use all three, often all at the same time. These days too they learn "Romanji", which is "Roman", as in using good old American....

What you have there is definitely Chinese, so it could be Kanji as well.

My oldest lives in Japan I will send it off to him and let you know....

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
...by the way I love your bottle, tell us the story....this is mine.

Attachments

• DSC01717.JPG
    DSC01717.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 160

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
if you look at my bottle you will see it i a mix of Kanji and Katakana and is read top to bottom, and in this case the Kanji is used phonetically, but that is not always the case.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
my son needs clearer pictures of the characters....he is leaning Chinese medicine bottle.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions