Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times

Re: Miniature food color bottle (more pics)

I found this information on a Digger O'Dell forum from October, 1999.

I realize it's not your exact bottle, but may shed some light on the subject and let you know that you are not alone in you quest to identify a McCormic bottle. I hope it helps. And, yes, I realize this is similar to the bottle previously pictured by Harry Pristis! However, this one has a reference to the date of 1902 not previously mentioned, which "may" help date your particular find. Plus it again ties in the "Bee" as possibly being connected to "poisons."

P.S. Now that my brain is functioning properly, and after re-reading Digger O'Dell's reply for the hundreth time, I now stand corrected that the 1902 date refers to the "screw cap" version when the patient was finally "granted", and that the "applied for" date is still a mystery ... (At least to me!). I may have stuck my foot in my mouth here, but I hope you can see that I'm just trying to help. If nothing else, perhaps this info may be of interest to Harry Pristis.

Great bottle! Thanks for sharing!

SODABOTTLEBOB

DIGGER O'DELL 1999

Tony's question :

"I have found a triangular shaped bottle that is purple/blue in color with a picture of a Bee impressed on the front of it and McCormick 1902 stamped on the bottom. I can find no one who can tell me anything about this bottle such as its history or value. I would greatly welcome any information you may have on it. Thank You, Tony Compton"

Digger O'Dell's Reply :

"You did not mention your bottle had a screw top mouth but I believe it probably does. The later bottle of this style has the "Patented / July 8th 1902" in place of "Patent Applied For" as shown in the picture at the right. The bottle is common, less so with the 'patent applied for' embossing. The bottle is sometimes referred to as the "bee poison" and is considered a poison bottle by most collectors. The screw top variant would be worth $3-5."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times

In this humble attempt to extract my foot from my mouth, which I apologise for, I would like to add one final note. Although I am by no means an expert on poison and similar type bottles, I have been collecting soda bottles for about thirty years, which has exposed me to a wide variety of different bottles. And in all of my years of digging, hunting and collecting, I can think of no examples of "HOUSEHOLD" type bottles that didn't have a flat bottom on them for standing up and storing. Which leads me to believe that your bottle definitely falls into the "FLASK" catagory.

As we all know, most flask contained products like smelling salts, alcohol, or other "personal use" extracts. Which leads me to the bottom line opinion that your find will eventually be identified as a "SMELLING SALTS BOTTLE."

I feel confident that a positive Identification is only a stones throw away ... especially with a bottle that has a manufacturer's name embossed on it! And with the ID will also come a date it was made.

P.S. It appears to have been thoroughly cleaned, but if not, are there any crystals present or an ammonia odor? If so, this would indicate the smelling salts theory.

Take care,

SODA"JERK"BOB

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    383 times

Thank you for the research, Bob . . . that was interesting.

Anyone else have a McCormick's bottle to show us?
    Sometimes I go about pitying myself, and all the time
    I am being carried on great winds across the sky.

------Chippewa saying, translated by Robert Bly

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times

I sometimes get off on tangents ... like this one with the green[color=black] smelling salts bottles. The only reason I'm even posting it is because of the text that accompanies it with a reference to smelling salt bottles almost always being green. Many of the one's I've been looking at are also green. Not that this is an ID for your bottle, but rather just to add a little more "salt" to the receipe as this investigation unfolds. Again, I believe the McCormic name will be your main clue in eventually making a positive identification.

This is from a site I stumbled across. The attached photo was with it.

Smelling Salts were popular during Victorian times for reviving ladies subject to fainting spells or who needed to recover from a shock. Almost always in green these bottles are highly collectable, very attractive and come with a wide range of different stoppers.
    From left to Right An unknown smelling salt, Dr. Mackenzies smelling bottle, The Crown / Perfumery / Company / London, Unmarked but with crown emblem on base, The Crown / Perfumery / Company / London larger size and a bottle bearing the incription Rd No 417253 made in England
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misc. Smelling Salts.gif 
Views:	1302 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	352194  

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times

It's fun watching football and fooling around on the computer at the same time. My computer desk is in my bedroom and my TV sits on a stand behind me. So I took a mirror and mounted it on the wall in front of me so I can watch TV while being on the computer at the same time.. Crazy, I know, but it works! (By the way, my home team the San Diego Chargers are winning against the Cleveland Browns.)

Anyway, this particular post is for gleaner1 or anyone else who is not all that familar with the process of "Copy" and "Paste" as gleaner mentioned earlier.

1. Go to the page of whatever text or quote you wish to use.

2. Place your cursor at the top-left of the paragraph(s)

3. LEFT click (and hold down on it) until the sentences are highlighted in blue.

4. While continually holding down on the click button, "DRAG" it down across the entire paragraph(s) until the entire thing is highlighted in blue. (It takes a little practice, but keep playing with it until you get the hang of it.)

5. Once the entire area is highlighted, let up on the LEFT click button. This should allow it to stay blue.

6. Now RIGHT click, and when the little box pops up, LEFT click where it says "COPY." I call this my mouse trap, which captures the info until you're ready to "PASTE."

Note: Don't touch you right button again until later. The "captured" info will stay there until you're ready to paste it.

7. Now open a Tnet reply or any other place you intend to type, including Emails.

8. After you've typed your message as you normally would, find an appropiate place where you want to place the "trapped" quote.

9. Where your cursor is blinking, RIGHT click on your mouse and the same little box will pop us as it did earlier. Only this time select the "PASTE" option and LEFT click on it, and this will automatically "release" the quote exactly as it appeared when you first "trapped" it.

I realize this sounds a little complicated, but with practice you will have it down pat in no time!

Good luck ...

SODA"MOUSETRAP"BOB

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times

gleaner 1

Just a suggestion ...

Have you considered posting your query on the TreasureNet "What Is It?" thread?

It will get considerably more exposure there.

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    714 times
    tectin crap

Bob, Harry Pristis convinced me that its a smelling salt. I did have a bit of a grief removing some sort of scaly or crystalline residue on the inside. I did not notice an odor. I have had no luck finding the stopper. I am a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned seeing another one like this. It will take its place in my miniature display someday, if I can ever get going building one. Thanks to all, gleaner1

Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Dec 2008
    Michigan
    Fisher 1266
    95 times

Re: Neat little (smelling salts?) bottle (more pics)

I think I figured out what this bottle is. Here some info about McCormick co. In 1897 McCormick entered fully into the spice manufacturing. In this year the first McCormick cookbook was published and the first premium was offered. The premium was the"little puck lamp"a perfume bottle,night lamp and toy combined. Yours for three labels from McCormick's wild cherry tonic. Alright I want my gold star.

Wolverine.
    Endeavor To Persevere.

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    383 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mich. Wolverine
    I think I figured out what this bottle is. Here some info about McCormick co. In 1897 McCormick entered fully into the spice manufacturing. In this year the first McCormick cookbook was published and the first premium was offered. The premium was the"little puck lamp"a perfume bottle,night lamp and toy combined. Yours for three labels from McCormick's wild cherry tonic. Alright I want my gold star.
    Wolverine.
    No gold star for you, 'Wolverine'. If it were to be used as a lamp reservoir, it would need a stable base. The "little puck lamp" had to be a figural bottle. Puck is a character (lifted from Shakespeare, no less). See the history of the Puck character here:

http://www.boldoutlaw.com/puckrobin/puckages.html

us
    Dec 2008
    Michigan
    Fisher 1266
    95 times

I may of jumped the gun on this one. McCormick made toilet water which is perfume. They didn't make smelling salts from what I could find. It could be a toilet water bottle. I will keep searching for a positive I.D. They did make drugs and chemicals so maybe the bottle is made in that shape and color so you would know what bottle in low light you were looking for.

Wolverine.
    Endeavor To Persevere.

Jul 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have this green bottle with the stopper and what appears to be salts inside, so it is possible to know what it was inside. I am interested in selling it. Email me at clayandbritt@yahoo.com

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    383 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blane View Post
    I have this green bottle with the stopper and what appears to be salts inside, so it is possible to know what it was inside. I am interested in selling it. Email me at clayandbritt@yahoo.com
    'Blane' sent images via email. The stopper is simple . . . a small vertical disk of the same green glass. No paper label on this one, unhappily. 'Blane' thinks the little bottle is worth $300 - $500.

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    714 times
    tectin crap
    I am so mad I could not find the stopper for mine I almost want to just smash the little frikin green thing against a brick wall and go out and get all banged up.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Beef Cakes

Sep 2010
    Woodland Park NJ
    Whites Silver Eagle
    349 times
    Paterson N.J. Bottles
    I was lucky enough to buy this bottle from Brittney, it's a beauty....Having the stopper and contents is just icing on the cake....
    PATERSON NJ BOTTLES WANTED!!!!

us
    Jun 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites IDX Pro
    108 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Has anyone contacted McCormick? A long time ago when I was actively digging bottles (before the internet), I found two Clorox bottles. I wrote to Clorox and they sent me a fold out brochure, "Collector's Guide to Clorox Bottles". It has drawings and info about the various kinds of Clorox bottles from 1929-1962. Maybe McCormick has the same?

PS My vote for cutest bottle EVER! Digging it makes it all the more special!
    I would rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it ~ Will Rogers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors