Neat little (smelling salts?) bottle (more pics)

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Miniature food color bottle (more pics)

Bob, Harry Pristis convinced me that its a smelling salt. I did have a bit of a grief removing some sort of scaly or crystalline residue on the inside. I did not notice an odor. I have had no luck finding the stopper. I am a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned seeing another one like this. It will take its place in my miniature display someday, if I can ever get going building one. Thanks to all, gleaner1

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I think I figured out what this bottle is. Here some info about McCormick co. In 1897 McCormick entered fully into the spice manufacturing. In this year the first McCormick cookbook was published and the first premium was offered. The premium was the"little puck lamp"a perfume bottle,night lamp and toy combined. Yours for three labels from McCormick's wild cherry tonic. Alright I want my gold star. ;D

Wolverine.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Mich. Wolverine said:
I think I figured out what this bottle is. Here some info about McCormick co. In 1897 McCormick entered fully into the spice manufacturing. In this year the first McCormick cookbook was published and the first premium was offered. The premium was the"little puck lamp"a perfume bottle,night lamp and toy combined. Yours for three labels from McCormick's wild cherry tonic. Alright I want my gold star. ;D
Wolverine.
No gold star for you, 'Wolverine'. :read2: If it were to be used as a lamp reservoir, it would need a stable base. The "little puck lamp" had to be a figural bottle. Puck is a character (lifted from Shakespeare, no less). See the history of the Puck character here:

http://www.boldoutlaw.com/puckrobin/puckages.html

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I may of jumped the gun on this one. McCormick made toilet water which is perfume. They didn't make smelling salts from what I could find. It could be a toilet water bottle. I will keep searching for a positive I.D. They did make drugs and chemicals so maybe the bottle is made in that shape and color so you would know what bottle in low light you were looking for.

Wolverine.

Blane

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this green bottle with the stopper and what appears to be salts inside, so it is possible to know what it was inside. I am interested in selling it. Email me at [email protected]

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I have this green bottle with the stopper and what appears to be salts inside, so it is possible to know what it was inside. I am interested in selling it. Email me at [email protected]

'Blane' sent images via email. The stopper is simple . . . a small vertical disk of the same green glass. No paper label on this one, unhappily. 'Blane' thinks the little bottle is worth $300 - $500.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am so mad I could not find the stopper for mine I almost want to just smash the little frikin green thing against a brick wall and go out and get all banged up.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I was lucky enough to buy this bottle from Brittney, it's a beauty....Having the stopper and contents is just icing on the cake....

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone contacted McCormick? A long time ago when I was actively digging bottles (before the internet), I found two Clorox bottles. I wrote to Clorox and they sent me a fold out brochure, "Collector's Guide to Clorox Bottles". It has drawings and info about the various kinds of Clorox bottles from 1929-1962. Maybe McCormick has the same?

PS My vote for cutest bottle EVER! Digging it makes it all the more special!

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I have contacted McCormick, I'm waiting to hear from them...

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
'Blane' sent images via email. The stopper is simple . . . a small vertical disk of the same green glass. No paper label on this one, unhappily. 'Blane' thinks the little bottle is worth $300 - $500.

Harry, it looks to me like a spherical knob on the stopper, not a disk, but I can't tell for sure from the pic. epackage, what's up with the stopper? Can you show us some pics of your new treasure? Congrats on a nice purchase, I am glad you got it. I was a day late and a dollar short but I would have bought it too if I could. Heck, I would buy just the stopper for a hundred bucks. I look forward to any info you get from McCormick too. It's strange actually, I just dug another one, with stopper, but in cobalt blue so I was thinking that they were fairly common food coloring bottles. Just kidding! :laughing7:

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The top is rounded with 6 grooves in it... $(KGrHqJ,!n4E9c-jnUi4BPru8kOm)g~~60_57.jpg

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome epackage, thanks for the close up pic. Very interesting. It's much more ornate than I had imagined. If any diggers out there just happen to have one of these just lying around in a bucket in the shed, pm me please. We can make one hell of a deal, I am sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread