What years were these made!

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
I metal detect, but tnet and flea markets have taught me that there are alot of people who find collecting certain old bottles pretty cool! Anyways,I was walkin in the woods yesterday on my sisters land,trying to date the property to see if it might be worth detecting, when I came across about a 18ft round sink hole loaded with all kinds of bottles,junk and what not,all buried from years of leaves.There are tons of quart sized brown puex bottles with alumunim lids,no tellin what might down there!I know those purex bottles aren't worth much,but does anyone know about what years they were made? Im thinkin 50's?

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It might be hard to tell without actually seeing the bottles but if they have aluminum screw caps. I'd say no earlier that 1940's and maybe as late as the '70's.

OP
OP
Toby1858

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
70s,.........hmm........could be.Sister and bro.law were thinking home was built 60 to 70s,but there cellar suggests a home was there previously.Cant seem to find anything online that will date these old bottles.Thanks for the reply.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
toby1858 ~

Welcome to TreasureNet. I just now came across this thread, and thought i would throw my two cents worth into the hat. I'm 58 years old and remember my mom using Purex Bleach when I was a kid, around 1962ish. The bottle I remember is exactly like the one pictured below, which I just found on eBay. I'm including the link, but the seller only describes it as "vintage" without a date. But its safe to say they were similar to this during the 1940s as well. Note: I wouldn't get to excited about packing them all home, (unless you just happen to like old brown bottles) because "Digger O'Dell," a well known online bottle expert, has them listed as "Un-collectible/Worthless." His words, not mine! I have found dozens of them over the years while searching for other "keepers," and have always left the Purex bottles laying where I found them. But if I were you, I'd go back and see what else that "pit" might contain. And don't pass up any old soda bottles, some are worth quite a bit!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Purex-B...ItemQQimsxZ20100122?IMSfp=TL100122221001r7500

SODABOB

Attachments

• Purex Bottle.jpg
    Purex Bottle.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 7,892

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
One thing that I have noticed in bottle dumps of this era is that all of the companies that used an amber bleach bottle (purex, austins, etc) out of cost effectiveness used the same shape and style that Clorox was using especially when it came to closure style.

Clorox went to the screw top lid in 1940, I am sure that purex would have quickly follwed suit.

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/company/history/bottleguide/screw.html

If I am seeing the picture correctly this bottle was made be the Owens Illinois Co. and likely has a date code on the base that is decipherable using this link.

http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/pdffiles/OwensIll_BLockhart.pdf

Hope this helps a bit,

Mr R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread