what are they relics 056.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 969

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tag.

I've got one of those around somewhere. I've looked at it many times but never took the time to research it. Hope to see an ID. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Tag.

I've got one of those around somewhere. I've looked at it many times but never took the time to research it. Hope to see an ID. :thumbsup:
I have heard 2 things. One its called a torpedo bottle and its from 1880 - 1910. And its used for soda. Another person told me it was used for wine and the bottom was rounded so that the bottle wont stand up so the cork in the bottle wouldnt dry out.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It appears to be an applied-lip, crown-top ginger ale bottle. That would date it to say 1892 to 1910 or so. Crown-tops became universal after the automatic bottling machines took over the industry, but that was a transitional takeover that extended into the WWI era.

This is just a "round-bottom." A "torpedo" (a.k.a. "hamilton") actually tapers to a pointed bottom.

gingeralepair.jpg

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool beans guys. :thumbsup: Thanks for the info, I'm going to have to find my bottle and double check my memory.

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey DirtyMike...

Harry is "right on" with his info on that particular bottle. One thing to add is ...Yes, the round bottom and torpedo bottom bottles were designed to lay on their side, but they were not for wine. They held the early carbonated beverage of gingerale (as Harry said).

The contents were under pressure and if the cork dried out, it shrank in size and the cork would blow out, the contents would lose the carbonation or "fizz" effect and it would just be flat tasting. By lying on its' side, the cork remained wet and the bottom of the cork stayed flared out or expanded inside the neck of the bottle and the contents remained fresh and fizzy.

Hope this helps out a bit.
Wayne :wink:

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
DirtyMike ~

I realize this topic is several months old, but someone brought it to my attention and asked me to post the following link. The photos are from the link. And please be reminded, as Harry Pristis already said, the "Crown" top closure was not patented until 1892, and that it took several years (early 1900s) before it became widely used.

SBB

http://www.etsy.com/listing/35960982/round-bottom-soda-bottle-applied-crown

Attachments

• Round Bottom Crown-Top Bottle 1890s (367x186).jpg
    Round Bottom Crown-Top Bottle 1890s (367x186).jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3,625
  • Round Bottom Crown Closeup (259x294).jpg
    Round Bottom Crown Closeup (259x294).jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 7,419

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions