Best Bottle books to purchase????

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
zaxfire69 said:
Hey Guys and Gals. I really want to get into this bottle digging stuff, but I don't have any books to id the bottles that I find. What are the best bottle books out there to purchase?
Forget the "price guides." Start with these three books:

AMERICAN BOTTLES & FLASKS AND THEIR ANCESTRY by McKearin & Wilson. This is the bible of bottle books. It is available at an amazingly reasonable price (perhaps it's a reprint) -- search for it.

KETCHUP, PICKLES & SAUCES by Zumwalt. Still available at a bargain price. Invaluable for diggers.

COLLECTING BOTTLES by Cecil Munsey. You may have to search for a used copy. Good, practical overview of all things bottle.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Harry those will be ordered if i can find them. I want all the reading material I can stand. There are so many bottles out there. I live in a town that has alot of old history. Natchez, Mississippi...The oldest town on the Mississippi river...There has to be so many bottle pits here...I know it...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
A Treasury of American Bottles, William Ketchum, 1975, is a really nice book, loaded with pics. This one covers the gamut of glass bottle history in the US from it's earliest origins. It is not a price guide. Mine is worn out from many years of reference.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I agree with Harry Pristis that price guides can be quickly outdated and at times confusing. However, I was given the book pictured below for Christmas and have enjoyed it a great deal. It is currently available at most book stores like "Barnes and Noble" and others for about $20.00, and might be a good starter book. I have provided a link that will allow you to thumb through the contents pages if you like. Just go to the little < > arrows at the top of page to activate.

http://search2.barnesandnoble.com/BookViewer/?ean=9780896897335

SODABOB

Attachments

• Antique Trader Bottle Book.jpg
    Antique Trader Bottle Book.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 211

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions