pepsiball 004 (Small).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,884

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
halfdime ~

Your Pepsi Cola bottle is dated on the bottom ... (41) = 1941 = 69 years old

The symbol in the center is the makers mark for ...

"The Owens-Illinois Glass Company."

The 13 is the specific bottling plant number ... possibly Chicago, Illinois.

These bottles typically had paper labels as shown in the photo below. I "borrowed" this image from another site, and it is wrapped in plastic for protection. That's why this particular one looks kind of weird. The bottle is nick-named the "swirl" bottle. They are very common without the labels, but hard to find with the labels. The labels deteoriate when buried or exposed to the elements. Without the label they are typically only worth a few dollars.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Attachments

• Pepsi with paper label plastic wrapped.jpg
    Pepsi with paper label plastic wrapped.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,315

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
halfdime ~

I thought I would do this little follow-up showing a (ACL) "Applied Color Label," painted-on variation of your bottle. The ACLs are the more common of these bottles, as the labels held up well under most conditions. And if you ever see/find one these ACL types, check for the dot(s) between Pepsi and Cola. The so called "Double-Dots" are the rarer of the two, and the most sought after. The photo below is a double-dot from the 1940s, and in mint condition is typically worth about $20.00+ in most areas of the country. But worth more for the harder to find ones from long closed (small town) bottlers.

SBB

P.S. I recently saw a nice (paper label intact) Pepsi bottle similar to yours in an antique shop, and they were asking $50.00 for it. Which is about right for a Southern California price, but will vary in different parts of the country.

Attachments

• Double-Dot Pepsi Bottle 1940s.jpg
    Double-Dot Pepsi Bottle 1940s.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4,003
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Sodabottlebob,
Thanks for the information! I'd love to have found the painted variety, since the paper would definitely be long gone.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one today in the woods, no label of course but in really good condition. Dated it to 1946

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread