New to bottles, help plz

Monolyth

Jan 8, 2010
oregon coast
Detector(s) used
tiger shark/ xterra 305
Hello,

I am going out this weekend to a site that I have researched. It is an old logging camp town from the 1800s that is well off of the beaten path. When I checked with the county official for a positive location and the regulations for finds he informed me that last time he was out there that nothing is left standing from the town but that he saw lots of old bottles laying about amidst other trash.

I myself personally know nothing about bottles or their worth. I pretty much just go out for coins usually. From your collective experience is there anything that I should look out for that may be of value? Any one color or variety better than any other? Do they need to be completely intact?

Would appreciate any help or insight here. If you would like, will post pictures of my finds based on the criteria you give me.

Thx all,
Monolyth

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, no one has replied so far, and I'm not an expert. I would have to say look for bottles with any kind of embossing, odd color, and pontil scars or rings on the bottom. Stick with intact bottles, you can always go back for the broken goodies if you want. Good luck!

ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread