SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the greens, aquas, cobolt, then the purples and pinks in that order.

NCprivyDigger

Apr 8, 2010
North Carolina
I myself love the Aquas, Cobalt's, Greens, Citrons and Multicolor. I've seen a few multicolored blown glass bottles but don't own any myself. My collection so far consist of bottles, flasks and a few jars. My collection I found out recently is considered common for an amateur. It consist of everyday soda and beer bottles from 1940's to current date that you find just about everywhere. I have only just recent gotten very serious about collecting and have even started digging my own bottles. Though digging your own bottles takes practice. Practice digging, you can't just jump into a hole and start slinging dirt without breaking some. And locating privies take practice and a lot of trail and error. I have dug a many holes due to finding soft ground and hitting debris with my probe only to realize it was a rotted stump and rocks with a bottle or two that just happen to be in the same spot. And at the same time I have located four privies on a piece of property belonging to a house built in 1803...... but they aren't the old privies everyone hopes to find. So far the oldest item I have found in these four privies dates back to 1930's, it was a depression glass plate. I have four acres to hopefully locate the older privy pits with no time limit to be finished. I'm renting the land and have permission to dig. The funny thing I have noticed is the privy pits I have found are no deeper than 6' deep and range from 4'x4' to 4'x5' to 5'x5'. They are square with very straight, flat walls and a very straight, flat bottom. Somebody took some serious time digging these privy pits to be so smooth. I live and dig in North Carolina so the privies are dug into red clay. All the websites I have been to about digging privies talk of and show pictures of pits being 6' to 20' deep. Maybe that's why the pits I have found haven't been any deeper than 6', red clay can give you a heck of a workout digging into. But I hope to someday find the motherload. With a house 207 years old I am bound to find the trash pile or the privies from the 1800's sooner or later.
Thanks, Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread