87.7 KB · Views: 251
  • QUAIL 008 (Medium).jpg
    QUAIL 008 (Medium).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 264

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
A hollow handle! Someone spent way too much time on this piece for it to be utilitarian . . . that is, I don't think it is a commercial container. That suggests it is "art glass" which is hand-made in the old manner. Such pieces could be quite recent or from the turn of the last century. I don't know about art glass.

OP
OP
tattooedmomma

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
He said hollow handle I don't have a clue how to tell. I personally do not think anyone took there time make this. it is lopsided and flawed. The it evidence it was dug.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
tattooedmomma said:
He said hollow handle I don't have a clue how to tell. I personally do not think anyone took there time make this. it is lopsided and flawed. The it evidence it was dug.

t'momma, the handle is hollow, a regular thread of glass drawn away from the batch will always be round, no matter what shape it is bent into. The handle you show has a depressed kick-up "spine" running along the bottom of the handle. This would be a pretty tough task to do with a regular solid loop of glass, and would not make sense. Look at the outside edges of the handle. There is a distinct line of color intensity shown, as seen in a tube. If it was solid, the color intensity would be more uniform. The handle was made by blowing a "tube" of glass, then forming to shape.

My first impression of the pics was that it was much smaller, maybe 4 inches. Your last pic indicates a much bigger piece. The bigger, the rarer, generally speaking.

It is impossible to determine if a piece has been dug from regular pics. Many times, it is difficult to determine if a piece has been dug then professionally cleaned. It is not uncommon for pieces to come out of a nasty old dump looking relatively pristine. Your pics, I must say, look like the piece is not from a dump. If I had to guess, your piece is too clean to be seen from any dumps I'm familiar with, especially pontil age dumps.
Nobody threw out pieces like yours, except by some bizarre accident.

So, you have a clean, tube-handle cruet, with vertical ribs, killer color, big nasty pontil. Too good to be true.

OP
OP
tattooedmomma

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
Thanks!! Its about 9" tall and maybe 6-7" wide. How much do you think its worth?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I am thinking it is a bedside water pitcher...because of the top...it should have a glass that was used as the lid....

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
tattooedmomma said:
Thanks!! Its about 9" tall and maybe 6-7" wide. How much do you think its worth?

Show it to Jeff from ABA (american bottle auctions). He will know if it is something unusual or rare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread