jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Elk's Pride Whiskey

Finished one pit but ran out of time to do the other, although we did do a test dig about 2 feet down in another pit. Found all kinds of broken bottles that dated to early 1900's. But this one popped out and it was not broke. What do ya think? Never heard of it before but its a cool looking bottle. Anyone have any idea how much it might be worth. I have a whiskey bottle collector that has never seen one before either. Happy hunting out there everyone. jgas

Attachments

• Elk 1.JPG
    Elk 1.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 454
  • Elk 2.JPG
    Elk 2.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 430
  • Elk 3.JPG
    Elk 3.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 441
  • Elk 4.JPG
    Elk 4.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 431
  • Elk 5.JPG
    Elk 5.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 428

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Re: Elk's Pride Whiskey

jgas said:
Finished one pit but ran out of time to do the other, although we did do a test dig about 2 feet down in another pit. Found all kinds of broken bottles that dated to early 1900's. But this one popped out and it was not broke. What do ya think? Never heard of it before but its a cool looking bottle. Anyone have any idea how much it might be worth. I have a whiskey bottle collector that has never seen one before either. Happy hunting out there everyone. jgas

Can't tell, is that a pinched pour or sloping collar top? I cound't find much on the maker, but i did find this:
http://www.minibottlelibrary.com/mbl/alpha/elks-pride/index.html

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like a Pinch pour type more than the sloping. Its not worn down much by the looks of it. I know the guy I occasionally hunt with wants it bad, but he wont give me a price until I get some experts to chime in. I did see the pottery one you listed. I saw a smaller one as well on Worthopedia but not wanting to pay the fees to see what it sold for >:( Oh well..Let me know if ya have a price range on this Beaut! Thanks guys. jgas

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Hey Gleaner, wow...really, lets keep it going then..Do I have a higher bidder? :o Thanks for the reply Buddy. Be safe out there. jgas

Gobpile

Mar 19, 2010
Underground
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Garrett GTI2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats a good bottle! If you are going to sell it put it up on Ebay,if I have a rare bottle it goes directly there and I have done very well.There has not been one on there in a long time if at all.Whiskey bottles can bring very good money! Good Luck!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

jgas, I really don't know the ball park value of it but send a good pic to Jeff at American Bottle Auctions, he will help you. I'm afraid I don't have the wallet for what it might go for. I say anywhere from $100 to $300, but I could be grossly wrong either way. Kovel's does not list it. If I saw it in a shop somewhere, not knowing anything about it, if it was in good shape, say 9+, and it had an $80.00 sticker on it, I would probably start babbling to myself, staggering around in a sweat trying to think of any reason not to buy it. I like it a lot. There are so many factors, the market, color, condition. Lets us know what you do with it.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Gleaner, I contacted Jeff as you suggested and he stated that the Whiskey bottle is Rare, possibly unique. He has never seen one like it and he bets than no one else has either. Soooo....I'm thinking the price tag might go up a bit but who knows. I really never price these things out and to be honest with you thats not why I dig. I just love the history behind everything I find. It really teaches us about our not to distant past. I'll let ya know what Jeff says about a price if he can do that for me. :thumbsup: jgas

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

jgas, also try these guys. Elk's Pride Whiskey is from Carlisle, PA, so if anyone has seen or heard of one, they should know.

Pennsylvania Bottle Collectors Assoc.
c/o 251 Eastland Ave.
York, Pennsylvania 17402
PH: (717) 854-4965
Meeting Place: Aldersgate United Methodist Church
Third Sunday of Jan, Mar, May, Sept, & Nov. at 2:00 p.m.

Pittsburg Antique Bottle Club
c/o Bob DeCroo
694 Fayette City Road
Fayette City, PA 15438
PH: (412) 233-8109
President: David Fassinger, 45 McMichael Rd., Carnegie, PA 15106
Meeting Place: Blackridge Civic Association
Second Wednesday, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Hey guys, Jeff got back with me from American Bottle Auctions and he gave a value of $200-$400 but with the rarity he wouldn't have a problem with it going to $500.

Gleaner: the one guy you sent me contact info on said that he does not know of any being found and he has never seen anything like it. He suggested that it may be a very rare Western Whiskey bottle. Possibly brought to the area from the west after the gold rush days. He got my heart racing when he said it might top 4 figures if I can get some more info from the west coast whiskey guys. Waiting to hear from them. I am still in shock to say the least. I thought that it was a plain ole whiskey bottle but now I know better.. Wow :o I hope to hear from the guy on the west coast soon. I will keep ya updated. :thumbsup: jgas

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

jgas, you are almost certainly sitting on the latest banner find from the glass forum. Hat's off to you. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

From this jug, I say the piece is PA, not western.

Attachments

• ElksPride.jpg
    ElksPride.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 304
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the Banner nod Gleaner, I spoke to another guy from the Pa area and his first thought was a bottle that resembles a bitters type. Then apparently more research states it may be from another guy in SanFransisco. Sounds like he loves this bottle and he is a collector of these types of things. He suggested either JS Low of Carlisle Pa or Adolph Harris from California. He suggested that the collar design be that of an eastern whiskey. He also said that he is at a disadvantage for pricing if it is an eastern whiskey. But I asked him for a rough guesstimate for this one.
Sounds like its still on the way to be a really rare find and one that will make my buddy happy who was digging with me. I can't help but think it would help out bigtime for him since he just finally got a job after a long long search. This one so far is chalked up as one heck of a dig and one that I will remember for a long time to come. The search is not over yet though and I still hope to nail this one down somehow. Thanks Gleaner again for the replies buddy, I do appreciate it. :thumbsup: jgas

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

jgas said:
Thanks for the Banner nod Gleaner, I spoke to another guy from the Pa area and his first thought was a bottle that resembles a bitters type. Then apparently more research states it may be from another guy in SanFransisco. Sounds like he loves this bottle and he is a collector of these types of things. He suggested either JS Low of Carlisle Pa or Adolph Harris from California. He suggested that the collar design be that of an eastern whiskey. He also said that he is at a disadvantage for pricing if it is an eastern whiskey. But I asked him for a rough guesstimate for this one.
Sounds like its still on the way to be a really rare find and one that will make my buddy happy who was digging with me. I can't help but think it would help out bigtime for him since he just finally got a job after a long long search. This one so far is chalked up as one heck of a dig and one that I will remember for a long time to come. The search is not over yet though and I still hope to nail this one down somehow. Thanks Gleaner again for the replies buddy, I do appreciate it. :thumbsup: jgas

My pleasure jgas. The western goods command high prices, but even if this is from PA (eastern), it should fetch a tidy sum at auction. For something unusual like this, I personally recommend consignment with one of the specialized bottle auction houses, particularly ABA. There are other good ones too. Let us know, I look forward to bidding. Good luck!

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the tip Gleaner, I have never sold anything thru and Auction House yet. Most of my sales come locally here. I have a guy from Colorada area looking into it. Sounds like a killer find all the way around so far. By far it will end up being my best bottle find to date. :thumbsup: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions