"moonshine" jug

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
"moonshine" jug

I don't guess this is a very spectacular find, but some fun insits! Ok, at least for me. I have never dug up such a nice bottle, let alone dug up any bottle that big, like that. I just saw the hole in the ground, dug with my hand and found the handle, then dug with a stick, then the big iron "digging" tool that happened to be laying there. The bottom is broken off, but i got all of it. It came from an old oilcamp from the 20's, I can't believe how nicely it cleaned up, and that it was pretty much intact.

Attachments

• lil brown jug.jpg
    lil brown jug.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 953
  • lil brown jug 1.jpg
    lil brown jug 1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 665
  • lil brown jug 2.jpg
    lil brown jug 2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,620
  • lil brown jug 3.jpg
    lil brown jug 3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 682
  • lil brown jug 4.jpg
    lil brown jug 4.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 668

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Re: "moonshine" jug

Nice find. Too bad about the broke bottom. But still it will get your heart racing to go dig somemore. :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks colorado14ers and jgas, yes I imagine I will dig up alot of broken bottles now. I had alot of fun, it took quite awhile, but I can't wait for the next opportunity.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool find. 8)

Shame the bottom is broken, at least it is complete. :icon_thumright:

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI

It is a great piece for you. No matter that it is broken, it has already given you joy and pleasure and that makes it all worthwhile.
Happy diggin.

Les

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Keep that sucker and have it looked at. Somewhere on here someone collected all the pieces to a broken jug and it ended up being worth a ton once they glued it back together even though it was broken. You never know. It might just be a rare enough jug that a glued together piece is still very valuable.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats not a moonshine jug .......thats a medicine bottle , I know my granma used to have one under every sink in the house incase she got sick , an she only took little sips every now an agin so she wouldnt get real sick with the croop.........musta be true never saw the old gal with the croop lol :laughing9:

awsome find :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Funny tank69 :D

I am going to glue it together, and try to find out more about it. It seems like I see these at all the junk stores, flea markets, ect. so I wouldn't imagine it's very valuable, but I'm going to try to find out more. There are no marks of any kind on it. I really like all that beautiful glaze on the inside, gluing it back together will hide that. does anyone know why the top of the vertical part was left unglazed? Did it let the jug "breathe"?

Thanx for the comments!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Sounds pretty plain but you never know. If it's not obviously valuable, it doesn't mean it's not.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice story and find, rock

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that is really easy to fix. go down to one of those paint-yer-own ceramics shops and ask them if they can help. or if you know someone with a kiln...you buy a product called "patch-attach" (look online) and pretty much "glue" the thing together, let it dry, paint a little clear glaze on the bottom (which is what those shops use to make your painted bowl shiny) and then fire it at a cone .06. it sounds a lot more complicated than it is, but like I said, go to the ceramics shop first.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!! It's pretty fun digging a bottle out not knowing exactly what you have until it's out.We find plenty of busted jugs,never a whole one or with all the pieces there.
We did find a busted straight sided coke this past year.The kid took the broken pieces home and glued them back together.
Looks pretty good.Where the bottle was broke it now looks like a crack in the bottle.

image_zpsf16b4113-1.jpg

image_zpse9c89614-1.jpg

image_zps1cccf1d8-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread