Unexpected bottle find

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I was detecting with my Excalibur 1000 today working the low tide at the ocean when I got a signal and to my surprise I see this bottle in the scoop of my shovel after digging for the target. The top of the bottle had a small piece of metal in it, thats how I detected it. Not sure of its age but Im thinking early 1900's. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• v 017.JPG
    v 017.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 407
  • v 018.JPG
    v 018.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 414

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Well it appears that the top is a flared lip and it appears to be citrine. The shape of the bottle gives a clue to three possible bottle types perfume, cure, poison. Is there any markings whatsoever on the bottle?

OP
OP
bcboy

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
hi there BttleDiggerDrew, to answer your question, no, there is no markings of any kind on this bottle but thanks for narrowing down the possible type of bottle this is. Thanks.

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
bcboy said:
I was detecting with my Excalibur 1000 today working the low tide at the ocean when I got a signal and to my surprise I see this bottle in the scoop of my shovel after digging for the target. The top of the bottle had a small piece of metal in it, thats how I detected it. Not sure of its age but Im thinking early 1900's. Thanks for looking.

Your guess is right on the mark :icon_thumright:

I've found similar bottles in dumps dating between 1900 and 1915.

The bottle is certainly BIMAL (Blown In Mold Applied Lip), but it might help to get a look at the bottom. If it has a pontil mark (which I doubt), that would push it back to before 1860! :tongue3:

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
sodetraveler said:
bcboy said:

Your guess is right on the mark :icon_thumright:

I've found similar bottles in dumps dating between 1900 and 1915.

The bottle is certainly BIMAL (Blown In Mold Applied Lip), but it might help to get a look at the bottom. If it has a pontil mark (which I doubt), that would push it back to before 1860! :tongue3:

yes, pontil mark is key...all in all excellent find :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bcboy

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
here is a picture of the bottom of the bottle. Thanks

Attachments

• c 002.JPG
    c 002.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 369

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
You'll probably never know for sure what the bottle contained. It appears vaguely like a hair tonic bottle - slightly fancier than a typical medicine bottle and in an attractive golden amber glass. Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread