Cologne? Medicine? Who Knows This Bottle?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here's a bottle I acquired at a bottle show many moons ago. I still don't know what it was used for, though the bottle is embossed "N. S. P." on its sloping shoulder. It has a blow-pipe pontil scar and a rolled lip.

I'm certain that this bottle is American. Over the years, I have seen similar bottles with more-elaborate embossing. One of those bottles is H. LAKE'S INDIAN SPECIFIC.

Does anyone here know this bottle or have an idea of what "N. S. P." might stand for??

cologneNSP.jpg

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Harry Pristis said:
Here's a bottle I acquired at a bottle show many moons ago. I still don't know what it was used for, though the bottle is embossed "N. S. P." on its sloping shoulder. It has a blow-pipe pontil scar and a rolled lip.

I'm certain that this bottle is American. Over the years, I have seen similar bottles with more-elaborate embossing. One of those bottles is H. LAKE'S INDIAN SPECIFIC.

Does anyone here know this bottle or have an idea of what "N. S. P." might stand for??

Tough call on Cologne or Med's...and the only thing I can find on the NSP is Northern states power

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Harry, these guys may know, the Lakes is from our area (Syracuse). I can't come up with anything.

The Empire State Bottle Collectors Assoc. BARRY HAYNES, PO Box 900, Mexico, NY 13114, PH: (315) 963-0922 or JOHN GOLLEY, email: [email protected].

I notice the design and engraving of the letters N.S.P. is almost identical to that of the Lakes, could have been cut by the same craftsman.

Attachments

• compare.JPG
    compare.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 232
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
gleaner1 said:
Harry, these guys may know, the Lakes is from our area (Syracuse). I can't come up with anything.

The Empire State Bottle Collectors Assoc. BARRY HAYNES, PO Box 900, Mexico, NY 13114, PH: (315) 963-0922 or JOHN GOLLEY, email: [email protected].

I notice the design and engraving of the letters N.S.P. is almost identical to that of the Lakes, could have been cut by the same craftsman.
Thanks for the lead, 'gleaner1' . . . I emailed the second of the two right away, but I haven't heard back.

Wish I had a bottle embossed like your H. LAKE'S! :notworthy:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Harry, that piece is not mine, I used a pic I got from a good article concerning early meds, including the lakes. You can google it easily. I always thought the shape of these was proprietary to the Lakes's, but it seems the design was used by others. Hope you get some answers soon.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
gleaner1 said:
Harry, that piece is not mine, I used a pic I got from a good article concerning early meds, including the lakes. You can google it easily. I always thought the shape of these was proprietary to the Lakes's, but it seems the design was used by others. Hope you get some answers soon.
There was a reference and a pic of H. LAKE'S in OB&GC magazine I just read. I believe that I have seen a third version of this bottle with embossing, but I didn't make a note in passing.

I found it in Glass Works Auction #66 back in October of 2003. The description reads:

372. "HOLME & KIDD", American, ca. 1840 - 1860, deep bluish aqua, 6 1/2"h, pontil scarred base, rolled lip. A very crude and very rare medicine bottle. Very similar to the famous H. Lake's Indian Specific bottle except considerably smaller.

It sold for $210. The mild irony here is that I bought my NSP bottle from Jim Hagenbuch back in 1989 off his table at the St. Pete show. I can tell you that I didn't give much for it -- today, it looks like a good purchase decision.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions