E. S. FRISHKORN BEAVER FALLS, PA C. & CO.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Attachments

• frishkorn 001 (Small).jpg
    frishkorn 001 (Small).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 290
  • frishkorn 002 (Small).jpg
    frishkorn 002 (Small).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 310

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
Re: E. S. FRISHKORN BEAVER FALLS, PA C. & CO.

It apears to be a soda bottle like the amber coke bottle. Is it 7 1/2 oz ?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

E. S. FRISHKORN Household
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Information:
Birth Year <1850>
Birthplace PA
Age 30
Occupation Farmer
Marital Status M <Married>
Race W <White>
Head of Household E. S. FRISHKORN
Relation Self
Father's Birthplace BADEN
Mother's Birthplace

Just gettin started with the search.....jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

C & CO............Cunningham(s) and Company, Pittsburgh, PA (c.1879-1907)

He was a bottler in Beaver Pa. He was listed in Google Books in 1919 as a bottler. jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Hi Sandy, thank you so much. Do you still have family or friends in Beaver Falls? Are your ancesters from there? I live in NY, a little south of Buffalo, and think it might only be 3 or 4 hours drive so I might try to go down there sometime and do a little research but I should check out as much as I can ahead of time. James Walsh had the grocery store in about 1890, only for a year or so, then he moved to Dougherty township and then to Beaver Falls in 1902. That's when he bought the property at 1426 Fourth Avenue and that's where he built up his ice cream manufacturing business, which he operated until his death in 1910, when his son Charles Walsh took it over. This was from a book "Genealogical and Personal history of Beaver County, PA" by John W. Jordan, in 1914. It sounds like he was very successful and the article says "Howard Cook said that James Thomas Walsh originated the "Whitehouse" flavor, which is vanilla with maraschino cherries. Isaly's in Beaver Falls always sold it and Meadow Gold may have also had that flavor". I don't know if any of that sounds familiar to you. James & Susan's children were Charles, who married Marjorie Melzena Bordeaux, Nora who married E.S. Frishkorn, Harry, Bessie, who married J.H. Nicholson, Bertha who married Charles Kraft, and Mary Walsh, a teacher in the public school at Woodlawn, PA. Those are good ideas, for me to contact the funeral homes and the Carnegie Library. What are some of the main cemeteries called? The book says James was a member of the Presbyterian Church, I wonder if they had a cemetery. If you think of anything else or have suggestions, please let me know. Thank you, Jeanne

Now this may be a bit too much for ya, but it looks like Nora married ES Frishkorn....hmm.....lets find some more....jgas

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Wow! jgas, it sounds like you know what you're doing here! I may have been in the cemetery he's buried in, if you can find that out. Kiros32 was able to find the burial place of a farmer who once owned a site we detected together. He also discovered that he had at least 8 children; most appear to have been buried close by. Now, if only we can figure out what E.S. Frishkorn bottled. I know there used to be a 7UP bottler in Beaver Falls, and I have a B-1 soda bottle from John Kohlmann's in Beaver Falls. I wonder if one of these bottlers took over from Frishkorn. Thanks for your effort on this! The privy where I found this bottle is on property owned by a Geneva College grad, but she bought long after the privy era and never heard of the bottler (and she's 66 years old).

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

No problem...He could have bottled just about anything. A soda of some sort sounds right though. Maybe even a beer. But for such a small bottle, I am saying a soda. Goodluck with the digging. jgas

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

Could you please post a picture of the top of the bottle?

If it's a Hutchinson Wire Stopper type then it's most certainly a soda bottle :read2:

If it's a crown or lightning stopper, it's still probably a soda bottle :read2:

I guess it just looks like a soda bottle to me :laughing7:

Is it 2-3/4" in diameter? That's how I know I'm digging up a sode, they're all that diameter except the Marble Stoppers :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

The bottle is 2 5/16" in diameter, and I've included a picture of the top.

Attachments

• bottletop (Small).jpg
    bottletop (Small).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 228

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread