Identifying this bottle!

A

Angela (Australia)

Hello all, I need a little help identifying the bottle in the centre of the photo. The wordng etched onto the glass reads GDE CHARTREUSE and I'm assuming the GDE means 'grade'. The bottle obviously dates 1800's, as it was found in a very old dump. The glass has tiny air bubbles, and a ringed effect around the body, as if it's been lathed. There are no letters or numbers in the base, which has a deep 'V'. The neck shape is interesting too, haven't got another like it. Also, can it be valued? I appreciate any help! I cannot see an join seams, so I'm assuming also that it's been hand blown.
HH Angela :)

Attachments

• old schnapps, beerand wine bottles.JPG
    old schnapps, beerand wine bottles.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,699

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hi Angela ,I was going to mention the same article that Ben already did ....so I think all the info you need is in his post...really great finds on the bottles

Part of article below...really good info:
For several hundred years prior to 1903,-save for a comparatively brief period following the French Revolution,-the Order of Carthusian Monks occupied the Monastery of the Grande Chartreuse, near Voiron, in the Department of Isere, in France. This was their Mother House. There, by a secret process, they made the liqueur or cordial which, at first sold locally, became upwards of fifty years ago the subject of an extensive trade and is known throughout the world as 'Chartreuse.' The monks originally manufactured the liqueur at the monastery itself, and later at Fourvoirie, close by. It was marketed, here and abroad, in bottles of distinctive shape, to which were attached labels bearing the inscription, 'Liqueur Fabriquee a la Gde. Chartreuse,' with a facsimile of the signature of L. Garnier, a former procureur of the order, and its insignia, a globe, cross, and seven stars; and these symbols with 'Gde. Chartreuse' underneath were also ground into the glass. In 1876, the then procureur registered two trademarks in the Patent Office, and these were re-registered in 1884, under the act of 1881. In the accompanying statement the one was said to consist 'of the word 'Chartreuse,' accompanied by a facsimile of the signature of L. Garnier,' and the other 'of the word- symbol 'Chartreuse;" and the combinations in which these were used were described.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Angela,

nice bottle.

Half the fun of digging bottles is the work of trying
to find out its history.

have a good un.............

OP
OP
A

Angela (Australia)

Thank you to everyone for your replies! I read everything on the website as suggested. Very fascinating history! Just for your own interest's sake, the bottle on the far left is a Melbourne Bottle Company Victoria, and only valued at around $10.00. The MaCracken Brewery is also from a Melbourne Company, and it valued at around $175.00. The two Schnapps fetch around $10-12 on the greens. Once again, thank you!
HH Angela :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread