Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I sure did - yes that smelly sorry excuse of a river had some oldies for me. We were in the water for about 3.5hrs and found lots of bottles, sadly a ton of them were new ones. I was very happy with the bottles that we found and I can't wait to jump back in!!! Any idea on the age of these bottles, any info would be appreciated. :icon_pirat:

here is a pix of some of my bottles.

Attachments

• DSC00533.jpg
    DSC00533.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC00533.jpg
    DSC00533.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 326

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
TreasureFiend said:
Any idea on the age of these bottles, any info would be appreciated.

There was a short aqua colored crown top soda bottle in the video with a semi-round bottom, but it wasn't shown in your later pictures of the cleaned up bottles. I'm assuming that this was found by your friend and went home with him? That was the best one of the lot and probably the only BIMAL (i.e. hand blown).

If it was indeed BIMAL it would likely be approximately 100 years old (made between 1890 and 1915) :read2:

The other bottles are all newer than that and look to be ABM (i.e. machine made) with the oldest one probably being the aqua colored bottle. It could date back to the 1920's or 30', with the rest of them likely to be 1940's to 1960's.

Nice collectible bottles all, if a bit on the newer side. Perhaps someone will take the time to look up the actual companies named on the bottles and thereby refine the estimates a bit. :dontknow:

If you can get a close up of the shorter bottle (that I assume your friend has cleaned up by now), I'd love to get a better look at it ::)

You can find out if these bottles are BIMAL or not by looking at the mold seam. If the seam goes all the way to the top (and around the neck below the crown) you know it is ABM. If the seam stops below the crown top it is BIMAL :hello2:

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Cool bottles man! Thanks for sharing this with us and looking forward to seeing some more of your finds. Good job and best of luck next time out.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Having done some of that wading after bottles, allow me to suggest using a "cultivator" as a walking stick. You know, a long-handled fork with 3 or 4 tines at a ninety-degree angle. The head won't readily sink into the muck, and you can use it to dig out a half-buried bottle. You can even lift the bottle to the surface by inserting a tine into the bottle mouth.

I didn't see anything that suggests why these bottles were there . . . a beach, a pier, a homestead. I recommend you find where a bridge crossed this river and work both sides of that old bridge.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice finds. I think they are lowering the river near my house...I may have to jump in there and do some "bottle surfing". Congrats on the bottles. jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions