My Hawaii Vacation

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
I recently returned from my latest bottle digging adventure in Hawaii :hello2:

My wife only gives me a 2 day pass, so I have exactly 48 hours between curb pick-up and curb drop-off at the airport to get my bottlin fix :walk:

I did manage to get in a bit of body surfing between all night digs - although the purpose was more for cleaning off the dirt than anything else :sunny:

I landed Friday and raced to the curb where my brother was waiting with a car full of bottlin gear. We drove straight out to the North Shore of Oahu where we had our first dig planned. It was super hot and humid with no breeze and digging was really difficult without becoming overheated :angry4:

It got cooler as the sun went down, but since we weren't finding anything good we decided to drive back over to the Honolulu side to try our luck at our back-up spot......

We dug all night and scored about 65 bottles that looked to be mostly from the 1890's era. We filled the hole as the sun was coming up and drove over to Sandy Beach for some body surfing clean-up. The next night we came back to the same spot, but didn't do as well.

Our big score was a couple of Marble Stopper Sodas. The first was a Tahiti Lemonade and the second was a Hollister & Co. - both Honolulu companies operating around the turn of the century. These are quite rare and valuable bottles to local Hawaii collectors because most were broken by children for the marbles. I actually found 3 broken Hollisters before I got the intact one! :hello2:

Here are a few pictures from our dig......

Attachments

• Tahiti_Marble.JPG
    Tahiti_Marble.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 250
  • Marble_Stoppers.JPG
    Marble_Stoppers.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 248
  • In_the_Hole.JPG
    In_the_Hole.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 258
  • Tahiti_Marble.JPG
    Tahiti_Marble.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Marble_Stoppers.JPG
    Marble_Stoppers.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 245
  • Hollister_Closeup.JPG
    Hollister_Closeup.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 250

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Any holiday where you can get in a few days of bottle digging sounds like a good one to me. Good job.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice digs Sode...Now thats what I'm talking about...dig, then jump in the ocean! Congrats on the two day fix! :tongue3: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread