Check out these privy finds!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
halfdime said:
Obviously these bottles have garnered a lot of attention, and I'm suddenly interested in learning all I can about them. I don't know how to properly clean my bottles, beyond soap and water. I've done pretty well with a good sand shake inside, and I improvise the best I can, but I don't know how to attack stains and whatnot. If I can show my beloved tangible evidence that these bottles are potentially valuable, she'll be more open to the time and effort involved in retrieving them! :wink:
to clean those bottles without using a tumbler a beginner should use THE WORKS TOILET CLEANER.... (imo) You will put the cleaner in the bottle just a lil bit an surmerge in to the water an let them soak at least 3 days..wear gloves when using the works or you'll get mild chemical burns after 3 days check them an if there look good rinse with fresh water... any dirt left on them after the rinse should be removed with a bottle brush... You can buy these at bottle shows or online you'll want to get aleast the 9 peice brush set...

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
creeper71 said:
halfdime said:
Obviously these bottles have garnered a lot of attention, and I'm suddenly interested in learning all I can about them. I don't know how to properly clean my bottles, beyond soap and water. I've done pretty well with a good sand shake inside, and I improvise the best I can, but I don't know how to attack stains and whatnot. If I can show my beloved tangible evidence that these bottles are potentially valuable, she'll be more open to the time and effort involved in retrieving them! :wink:
to clean those bottles without using a tumbler a beginner should use THE WORKS TOILET CLEANER.... (imo) You will put the cleaner in the bottle just a lil bit an surmerge in to the water an let them soak at least 3 days..wear gloves when using the works or you'll get mild chemical burns after 3 days check them an if there look good rinse with fresh water... any dirt left on them after the rinse should be removed with a bottle brush... You can buy these at bottle shows or online you'll want to get aleast the 9 peice brush set...
I should try The Works on a more non-descript bottle first, I assume?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
halfdime said:
I should try The Works on a more non-descript bottle first, I assume?

[/quote]
I would use on a common bottle first time around to see how it turns out... I found this online after trying to find something more descriptive to help you out...
A product called "the Works toilet bowl cleaner" contains a dilluted (but not much) solution of hydrochloric acid. It is the only Hydro I have ever found on the store shelf. It totaly eats rust and other stains right off. Use with ventilation!!! It doesnt touch the magnesium leaching stains but nothing does. Info courtesy of Eddie, Email: [email protected]. If you have questions the guy in email can probly help more then I can

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
gleaner1 said:
I know the market is down but after some quick searching I see one of my minerals worth 200 or so in the 1990s or early 2000s is now down in the 50 buck range. creeper set me straight on this one for sure. Sorry halfdime for the bum steer on the outrageous price. If this isn't a banner group of diggin's, then I will be certain that I'm totally off my rocker.
I agree banner bottles... as for price did you see it sold for 1200.00? or did you just see what they estimated the price for? Bottle prices range depending on color an rarity... I would think the puce would be a lil more valueable then the amethyst.. Puce is a hard color to find...

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Added another amber from Mrs. Allen this morning; I'll clean and picture it. The best find of the day belongs to Kiros32, and I hope he gets a nice picture of it posted. Along with the story of how he found it :wink:.

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar ...

Oh wait ... Beyond Stellar ...

Ok ... Let's go Righteously Stellariffic ...

Bravo my good man ... :hello2:

~ Al

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
creeper71 said:
gleaner1 said:
I know the market is down but after some quick searching I see one of my minerals worth 200 or so in the 1990s or early 2000s is now down in the 50 buck range. creeper set me straight on this one for sure. Sorry halfdime for the bum steer on the outrageous price. If this isn't a banner group of diggin's, then I will be certain that I'm totally off my rocker.
I agree banner bottles... as for price did you see it sold for 1200.00? or did you just see what they estimated the price for? Bottle prices range depending on color an rarity... I would think the puce would be a lil more valueable then the amethyst.. Puce is a hard color to find...

creeper I saw the Physio somewhere I think hecklers in the grand range but that was a few years ago and I think they no longer show that particular auction on their site. I think too that the bottle was a deep purple which made it particularly valuable.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Al Czervik said:
Stellar ...

Oh wait ... Beyond Stellar ...

Ok ... Let's go Righteously Stellariffic ...

Bravo my good man ... :hello2:

~ Al
Hey Al, nice to see ya!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
halfdime, clearly your bottles are very "sick", the term used meaning that the glass has been etched or eaten away by the chemical reactions in the ground after many years. No amount of cleaning with chemicals or scrubbing will improve the pieces. If you wish, and your wallet say okay, you can have these professionally cleaned (polished), say around 20 or 30 bucks apiece.

One more thing, it is impossible to really see the true colors of a sick piece. Polishing can reveal striking color improvement and glass features that are impossible to see otherwise. Polishing tends to darken a piece by removing all the "frost" that fools the eye into thinking it's a lighter shade. Coat 'em with vegetable oil and show more pics with back lighting.

illinidigger

Jun 1, 2010
Illinois-St. Louis Metro
Detector(s) used
Explorer Se Pro White's IDX pro
Great dig and bottles but the estimates on the Dr. Tebbett's is high. In that medium shade of amethyst it is more likely in the $400 range. They range in price dramatically due to color variations with the lighter the color the better. A pure pink example recently brought over $3000. I've owned and sold a few of the medium (like yours) and darker shades and they have brought $375-$500. I'd say the estimate on the Worlds is right on and it would be in the $250-$300 range as they are more common. I agree that this a banner dig without doubt.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
illinidigger said:
Great dig and bottles but the estimates on the Dr. Tebbett's is high. In that medium shade of amethyst it is more likely in the $400 range. They range in price dramatically due to color variations with the lighter the color the better. A pure pink example recently brought over $3000. I've owned and sold a few of the medium (like yours) and darker shades and they have brought $375-$500. I'd say the estimate on the Worlds is right on and it would be in the $250-$300 range as they are more common. I agree that this a banner dig without doubt.
Wow, after the initial excitement over these bottles died down, now this! I better protect those babies, just in case...

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
halfdime said:
illinidigger said:
Wow, after the initial excitement over these bottles died down, now this! I better protect those babies, just in case...

Ha ha! Looks like the guy that was dumping them here was bald!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
gleaner1 said:
creeper, you are correct, the Physio is like plum puce. I see my estimate of value is far from a bit off. I still stand that the grouping is well banner worthy. What about the World's? Is that a sleeper?

There may be more but I've only ever seen one bottle make the banner. It was a green eagle flask....correction: Make that two bottles, one ink and one jug. I always vote bottles for the banner and they never make it. Love cool bottles like these. Especially that puce one.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Skrimpy said:
halfdime said:
illinidigger said:

Ha ha! Looks like the guy that was dumping them here was bald!
We're going on the theory that it was the wife!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread