Check out these privy finds!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It's amazing how time can change your priorities. Fifteen years ago, my father and I discovered a stone foundation in the woods near our house. The stone was cut sandstone, and I spent 6.5 years pulling the stone out of the woods to build a retaining wall. It was a project of monumental proportions, and one in which I still take pride. Physically, I couldn't do it now, however! After I got a metal detector, I remembered the site; even deep in the woods, once upon a time it was a farmhouse with people living in it. Hopefully, those people dropped a few coins. So far, I've found two Indian heads and a beautiful 1840 large cent, but there is probably an hour of work clearing for every ten or fifteen minutes of detecting. I've had Kiros32 and DrDetector to the site, and they can vouch for the effort we've all put in for little return. We're still convinced that more (and better) coins await us, but so does a lot of work.
Eleven months ago, while detecting another site, Kiros32 and I came across an obvious privy. We decided to dig it, and it was an incredible experience! In the time since, I've dug another dozen or so, and in the back of my mind I knew I had to find a privy at the foundation we know as the Dunn site. With the knowledge gained by digging other privies, I suspected that we'd do very well if we could just find this one. Finding coins there has been like finding needles in a haystack, and the privy was almost the same thing. Until this afternoon. A couple weeks ago, Kiros32 and I started to dig what had all the obvious signs of a privy. The dirt was soft, easily dug and we were finding a few human artifacts (glass, pottery). Then, we hit a clay/sand/gravel layer that stopped us in our tracks. It may also have stopped the Dunns from continuing their attempt to put a privy there.
This afternoon, after leaf detail at Mom's, I went over to the site determined to find a privy. I decided to check what we believe to be the back of the house, down a slope and a reasonable distance away from the house. I found a depression, pushed in my probe and liked what I was feeling; easy digging and little resistance. I started to dig and was getting powdery soil: an indication that it wasn't native undisturbed. Pretty soon, I started to get little pieces of glass, then stumbled upon a two inch, fragile little bottle. It's slightly aqua, leans to one side and has, I believe, a pontil on its base. I called Kiros32 with the happy news and assured him that some of the privy would still be there on Friday. We'll also have lots of easy sifting to do. Pretty soon, I was finding bottles pretty easily. First, a broken Dr. Jakob's OEL (Oil?), in aqua . Then a few unmarked bottles. Then the embossed bottles started to roll out, and it appears that someone in the Dunn family was losing their hair and they were determined to get it back! First, Mrs. S.A. Allen's Worlds Hair Restorer, in two shades! Then, Dr. Tebbetts Physiological Hair Regenerator. Last, I found a beautiful Mrs. Winslow Queen of Hair Restorer, in aqua, which I carelessly broke later . I really hate that. Fortunately, I consoled myself with Prof Low's Magnetic Liniment, also in aqua. To round things up, there is R. Matchetts Pure Genuine Four Fold Liniment and, appropriately, Henry's Sewing Machine Oil. This privy appears to be four feet deep, and the farm dates back to the mid 1800's, so this is probably just the first of several!

Attachments

• dunnprivy 001 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 001 (Small).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 855
  • dunnprivy 002 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 002 (Small).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 851
  • dunnprivy 004 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 004 (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 848
  • dunnprivy 005 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 005 (Small).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 855
  • dunnprivy 006 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 006 (Small).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 860
  • dunnprivy 007 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 007 (Small).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 858
  • dunnprivy 008 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 008 (Small).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 869
  • dunnprivy 012 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 012 (Small).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 866
  • dunnprivy 011 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 011 (Small).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 857
  • dunnprivy 010 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 010 (Small).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 859
  • dunnprivy 009 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 009 (Small).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 868
  • dunnprivy 001 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 001 (Small).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 855
  • dunnprivy 002 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 002 (Small).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 857
  • dunnprivy 007 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 007 (Small).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 868
  • dunnprivy 006 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 006 (Small).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 863
  • dunnprivy 005 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 005 (Small).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 864
  • dunnprivy 004 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 004 (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 836
  • dunnprivy 012 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 012 (Small).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 842
  • dunnprivy 011 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 011 (Small).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 853
  • dunnprivy 010 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 010 (Small).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 851
  • dunnprivy 009 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 009 (Small).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 852
  • dunnprivy 008 (Small).jpg
    dunnprivy 008 (Small).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 840
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I posted this also in Today's Finds and someone pointed out that one of the World's Hair Restorers was purple. After cleaning, it, he was right. The Physiological Hair Regenerator is a lighter purple. Very cool!

Attachments

• purple (Small).jpg
    purple (Small).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 858
  • purple (Small).jpg
    purple (Small).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 832

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
halfdime, nice stuff you got there. Very nice. Please show more pics. You know, BANNER pics. Make sure the bottles are good and clean and take the pics thru a well lit window. I am voting banner just for the purple hair, which is a notoriously good one, maybe in the 800 to 1000 range attic quality. The amber ones are just icing on the cake. I vote banner finds. That pit would have put me in pre-cardiac arrest mode.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
gleaner1 said:
halfdime, nice stuff you got there. Very nice. Please show more pics. You know, BANNER pics. Make sure the bottles are good and clean and take the pics thru a well lit window. I am voting banner just for the purple hair, which is a notoriously good one, maybe in the 800 to 1000 range attic quality. The amber ones are just icing on the cake. I vote banner finds. That pit would have put me in pre-cardiac arrest mode.
It's supposed to be sunny here tomorrow; I'll clean and picture them some more!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
gleaner1 said:
halfdime, are you saying the World's is purple or the Physiological? or both? I am gobsmacked.
Both! The World's is darker. Kind of softens the sting of breaking the Mrs. Winslow bottle.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I will rescind my banner nomination for the measly Physiological. I will re-solicit the powers-that-be for Banner for your dual, purple, different-type-hair-tonic bottle pit dig that is simply extraordinary. That's powerful privy diggin's man. You kill me.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
halfdime said:
I posted this also in Today's Finds and someone pointed out that one of the World's Hair Restorers was purple. After cleaning, it, he was right. The Physiological Hair Regenerator is a lighter purple. Very cool!
wouldn't that color be puce?

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
creeper71 said:
halfdime said:
You might have to help me here: what's puce? A different shade of purple?

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Pictures of cleaned bottles in morning sun.

Attachments

• backlit 005 (Small).jpg
    backlit 005 (Small).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 788
  • backlit 004 (Small).jpg
    backlit 004 (Small).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 777
  • backlit 003 (Small).jpg
    backlit 003 (Small).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 769
  • backlit 002 (Small).jpg
    backlit 002 (Small).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 764
  • backlit 001 (Small).jpg
    backlit 001 (Small).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 774
  • backlit 006 (Small).jpg
    backlit 006 (Small).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 830
  • backlit 002 (Small).jpg
    backlit 002 (Small).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 770
  • backlit 003 (Small).jpg
    backlit 003 (Small).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 778
  • backlit 004 (Small).jpg
    backlit 004 (Small).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 782
  • backlit 005 (Small).jpg
    backlit 005 (Small).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 776
  • backlit 006 (Small).jpg
    backlit 006 (Small).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 776
  • backlit 001 (Small).jpg
    backlit 001 (Small).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 766

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
halfdime said:
creeper71 said:
halfdime said:
You might have to help me here: what's puce? A different shade of purple?
I'm not good at explaining things, but John Glassman found a puce ink here is the link http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,326013.0.html

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Those are some stellar finds. I love the trifecta colors! I would dig that antire area up bigtime :thumbsup: :thumbsup: jgas

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
creeper, you are correct, the Physio is like plum puce. I see my estimate of value is far from a bit off. I still stand that the grouping is well banner worthy. What about the World's? Is that a sleeper?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I know the market is down but after some quick searching I see one of my minerals worth 200 or so in the 1990s or early 2000s is now down in the 50 buck range. creeper set me straight on this one for sure. Sorry halfdime for the bum steer on the outrageous price. If this isn't a banner group of diggin's, then I will be certain that I'm totally off my rocker.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
gleaner1 said:
Too me i could be wrong but the one honey amber looks to have either purple or puce in the middle of it

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
gleaner1 said:
creeper, you are correct, the Physio is like plum puce. I see my estimate of value is far from a bit off. I still stand that the grouping is well banner worthy. What about the World's? Is that a sleeper?
This is all I can find online for the World's 7 1/4", Rectangular, BIM, flared lip top, deep amethyst. Condition: Near Mint - Lightly cleaned $300. Embossing: side 1: "MRS S.A. ALLEN'S", front: "WORLDS HAIR - RESTORER", side 2: "NEW YORK ..If yours is Puce it probly would atleast double in price from 300 to 600.00 in my opinion...but I am not a expert...

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Obviously these bottles have garnered a lot of attention, and I'm suddenly interested in learning all I can about them. I don't know how to properly clean my bottles, beyond soap and water. I've done pretty well with a good sand shake inside, and I improvise the best I can, but I don't know how to attack stains and whatnot. If I can show my beloved tangible evidence that these bottles are potentially valuable, she'll be more open to the time and effort involved in retrieving them! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread